ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude... Where you were this time last year (roughly) this is an incredible run. I have the utmost respect and admiration for you

Thanks Stretch, I think I got pretty lucky with the Ortho surgeon that was on call that Saturday night was hit. Never had any issues with the plate or screws or the 2nd surgery in March to remove them.

I've heard horror stories of people that weren't as lucky with the same distal femur break I had and were never able to return back to competitive sport .

Mine was exactly 351 days from ICU on 1 October to running 2h49 at Cape Town Marathon last September..

I count my lucky stars..

But the drunken cock who jumped a stop street and hit me also got lucky, docket lost and got off Scott free.

Edited by Ferret69

But the drunken cock who jumped a stop street and hit me also got lucky, docket lost and got off Scott free.

That is infuriating  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  

Busy putting together my training plan for the next 15 weeks. What are your guys and gals thoughts on peak week for Comrades? What's the current consensus on how far out from the race it should take place? Is it directly before the taper or do you hit it earlier in the schedule?

Busy putting together my training plan for the next 15 weeks. What are your guys and gals thoughts on peak week for Comrades? What's the current consensus on how far out from the race it should take place? Is it directly before the taper or do you hit it earlier in the schedule?

Don't peak in march!... Mid to end April I reckon

As infuriating as this is.. Your can't let it get to you because it will just consume you. Based on this in guessing you know who it was

Barry,

Peak weeks will be around 160km and probably 2-3 of those from last week of March to the 1st week in May.

planning on 120-140k weeks from now till 1st week in May outside of the Big weeks. The 160 weeks will probably be based around Easter 100, Irene Ultra and Route Tester. Lots of Hill/power work thrown in there as well. Towards the end of April and May start putting more speed sessions in. Will be running at least one 20k Plus during the week and 50-60km weekends. Also will be doing quite a few double sessions on Tuesdays and Thursday which incorporate TT or similar effort. 

This is what works for me and is needed  for me to have a chance at my goal. Also I trust my body to manage the load and if it is not I will adjust accordingly. 

Barry,

Peak weeks will be around 160km and probably 2-3 of those from last week of March to the 1st week in May.

planning on 120-140k weeks from now till 1st week in May outside of the Big weeks. The 160 weeks will probably be based around Easter 100, Irene Ultra and Route Tester. Lots of Hill/power work thrown in there as well. Towards the end of April and May start putting more speed sessions in. Will be running at least one 20k Plus during the week and 50-60km weekends. Also will be doing quite a few double sessions on Tuesdays and Thursday which incorporate TT or similar effort. 

This is what works for me and is needed  for me to have a chance at my goal. Also I trust my body to manage the load and if it is not I will adjust accordingly. 

Thanks for the insight,

I'll be on a lighter load than that but it does give me a good idea about how to "shape" my training plan in terms of where to peak the training. I suspect I'll probably max out at around 120km for my peak weeks. Although Jess thrives off more mileage so she might go higher.

What are your goals for this year's race? Are you eyeing the 7 hour mark?

Edited by Barry Stuart

Thanks for the insight,

I'll be on a lighter load than that but it does give me a good idea about how to "shape" my training plan in terms of where to peak the training. I suspect I'll probably max out at around 120km for my peak weeks. Although Jess thrives off more mileage so she might go higher.

What are your goals for this year's race? Are you eyeing the 7 hour mark?

You can get away with a lighter load, Jess should definitely try get a 140km or even two. 

you should consider doing one of those with her. 

Peaks definitely mid April and last ultra not after the 5/6 may. 

Proper taper only in the last 10-14 days. 

That is the dream, but sub 4:40's might be a little beyond me.  Hoping to hook on to Ferret's heels for as long as I can.

Where you hoping to end? With a Bill?

Barry,

I seriously don't know how you guys manage to find time to train. Early mornings??

Luckily I'm not in the Comrades game, or not yet anyway. So a high mileage week is at most 90km, which will take up 8-8.5hr of my week. To fit that in with the various home/work commitments takes some very careful planning and sacrifices. And with no babysitters (as is currently the case with us) it is almost impossible.

I seriously don't know how you guys manage to find time to train. Early mornings??

Luckily I'm not in the Comrades game, or not yet anyway. So a high mileage week is at most 90km, which will take up 8-8.5hr of my week. To fit that in with the various home/work commitments takes some very careful planning and sacrifices. And with no babysitters (as is currently the case with us) it is almost impossible.

4:25 start on weekdays

Is anybody else doing the Uniwisp Fast 5in1 this weekend?

I'm in for the 50km. Just using/seeing it as a normal weekend training run.

Is anybody else doing the Uniwisp Fast 5in1 this weekend?

I'm in for the 50km. Just using/seeing it as a normal weekend training run.

Nah bru, just gonna do my usual normal 50km training run...

140 to 160km weeks is a bit extreme and unless you an elite runner, I wouldn't be loading training this much. Right now (March), the average runner should be doing between 65-80km per week with a good mixture of time trial and hill training mixed in. April/May are definitely the months that you would load the training.

The aim, between 1000-1500km millage before comrades.

Edited by Gringo111

Brooks are great shoes - especially the Ghost.

My only critique is that the heal toe drop is too steep on the Ghosts (12mm). This destroyed my calves on hilly routes and also lost a toe nail or two on the downhills. Switched to a shoe with 8mm heal toe drop and the difference is night and day...

You can get away with a lighter load, Jess should definitely try get a 140km or even two. 

you should consider doing one of those with her.

Luckily I'm not in the Comrades game, or not yet anyway. So a high mileage week is at most 90km, which will take up 8-8.5hr of my week.

140 to 160km weeks is a bit extreme and unless you an elite runner, I wouldn't be loading training this much. Right now (March), the average runner should be doing between 65-80km per week

The aim, between 1000-1500km millage before comrades.

I seriously do not know what wannabee league I am in then...  Jan - May 2017 ended up a total of 835km.   That included a 2/3 week injury layoff.  Our max week was 68km, that included Two oceans ultra.

BTW, that was our first comrades and we started training the morning after comrades 2016.