ScottCM

yeah thats why I'm leaning towards the marathon, it looks like an absoilute pig of a challenge and thats what I like. I still need to do a lot of work on just normal 'running' to be able to cover 100 miles. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, if you know Hilton you will know it will be a proper run...

This is the guy that comes to Wartrail challenge, beats us all to Balloch(55km), then continues on to do a full 100km Skyrun for fun...

Hilton who lives in..... Hilton?

Someone posted about shin splints recently...I have a little niggle in my left leg... Trying to still keep training though..I read that increasing your cadence helps and I tried it and it definitely does... Increased cadence and calf raises daily.. Give it a bash

While on the Hoka subject, who else is running with the Cliftons? I bought a pair a few months ago, but I just dont feel the hype. They feel very sluggish and heavy. Maybe Im just used to the more responsive ride of Nike.

Completely with you. I bought them hoping it would help the ITB by reducing impact but I'm now only using them to burn through their mileage and get my money's worth. I slipped on my Saucony Ride the other day and it felt like I had springs in my feet. The Cliftons feel amazing in the store and for the first few runs but after that… meh.

I tried on a pair of Asics Nimbus the other day (my old go-to shoes) about 18 months after changing to Hoka (Clifton 3 & 4). It felt like I was standing on steel beams. I was amazed at how I'd gotten used to the softness. 

(I too have never worn a race shoe, nor have any need for it, but I do know cliftons are quietly packing more weight every new version)

But Asics pooped the bed when they tried to make the Nimbus "more responsive", which was an idiotic thing to do to a shoe that everybody chose for its softness on ultras and easy runs. I gave my Nimbus 19 to my dad after just 300km because they felt utterly lifeless. As you said, steel beams. My dad, however, who was still running in his Asics from 15 years ago (kept going by ample amounts of gum residue to build up the wasted tread), thought they were like running on clouds.  :D

Someone posted about shin splints recently...I have a little niggle in my left leg... Trying to still keep training though..I read that increasing your cadence helps and I tried it and it definitely does... Increased cadence and calf raises daily.. Give it a bash

KT tape reduced my medial shin splint pain almost immediately. To the point where I could keep running until it disappeared completely.

About right.  THe greatest disappointment was to discover that Hazeldean "Cow House"  classifies their runs as "trail".  It is more like a XC race but without laps.  Very sad that there was no real trails, but then there is always the chance to get "lost"so as to include extra km's and lesser seen parts of the farm

The reality is that the amount of plastic can be easily recycled if competitors focus on disposal in designated bins..I would rather pay attention to education on responsible disposal with consequences for being caught disposing outside designated areas

Agreed and making sure there is enough bins along the route, even in the middle of the road if need be.

I slipped on my Saucony Ride the other day and it felt like I had springs in my feet.

Every run I do in my Saucony Triumphs just remind my how much I like them,considering that  I really like my Brooks as well.   (Perhaps worth mentioning I did lose one toenail on the down Comrades this year in the Brooks.)

It is just so difficult with no one stocking Saucony here in Bloem, you have to order them.   It is just not the same if you can't fit them beforehand.

I think this treadmill of mine is going to be great for speedwork... did some hard intervals yesterday in my half our session. Definitely think it's easier to focus on your form and rhythm when the pace/incline/surface is so consistent (and the blaring music helps too).

Still buggering around with it, but definitely see some scope for some nicely planned sessions to focus on things I maybe never really thought about too much in the past... climbing obviously the next step too.