ScottCM

Hacc, have a look at some physical aspects, not just nutrition, regarding your nausea problem. For sure nutrition plays a major role, I am not discounting that!

I had severe issues, trust me. And in the end it was found that the cause was gall bladder removal several years ago. Now some of those plumbing got confuddled and causes gall to push into my stomach at times. I drink some meds for it and no issues since. (Or nothing inexplicable, at least.)

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hacc, have a look at some physical aspects, not just nutrition, regarding your nausea problem. For sure nutrition plays a major role, I am not discounting that!

I had severe issues, trust me. And in the end it was found that the cause was gall bladder removal several years ago. Now some of those plumbing got confuddled and causes gall to push into my stomach at times. I drink some meds for it and no issues since. (Or nothing inexplicable, at least.)

Thanks, Seabee, you are right. I am also convinced it is something physical.

I have been for a sonar. No stomach ulcer, liver, kidney or gallbladder problems. 

Thanks, Seabee, you are right. I am also convinced it is something physical.

I have been for a sonar. No stomach ulcer, liver, kidney or gallbladder problems.

Have you ruled out a dietary cause for your nausea? Maybe you're having an adverse reaction to something you're eating or drinking.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Have you ruled out a dietary cause for your nausea? Maybe you're having an adverse reaction to something you're eating or drinking.

I haven't tried a complete diet change like a gluten free diet. I am very cautious about what I eat. I don't eat bread, sweets, coke etc. Generally, I am very health conscious.

I haven't tried a complete diet change like a gluten free diet. I am very cautious about what I eat. I don't eat bread, sweets, coke etc. Generally, I am very health conscious.

Well that leaves a whole lot of kopkrap!?! Have you thought about seeing a sports scientist and/or dietician? There has to be a cause for your nausea. I remember that a friend's mom struggled with headaches and it was a dietary change that sorted it out for her but only after seeing a dietician.

Who's the guilty party? Gareth? Rob?

I was many years ago a RAC member. Used to hit 1000km mid March just before Two Oceans (never did Comrades). Injury cured me... Was proper gatvol for running by mid April, but really enjoyed the Sunday Club Runs. 

Nah Neither although I do know both well.

These are B2R guys

Nah Neither although I do know both well.

These are B2R guys

Ah okay - I have pretty good idea who it is....

I know Gareth used to do Randburg Valentine 10km, Bronkies 32km and PnP marathon for a 84km weekend in the old days (don't know if is still doing it). I'm struggling to that in a week. But on the other hand, I'm not doing Comrades.

I understand the boredom part. I have been doing this for four years now, and I must say it is getting to me now. I struggle to stay motivated year in and year out.

I don't know how people run 10, 20, 30, 40 Comrades marathons.

I miss my bike and not stressing about kilometers for the week, average pace and long runs.

With my current nausea problem, a running friend of mine suggested that I should stop running completely. Just thinking about stopping makes me sad. Running has become part of my life.

Sorry about the nausea problem

Don't stop running but maybe run less and just for general fitness. In other words 2 or 3 times per week between 15-20 km per week max. No stress about having to train for events, just fun

Good luck

Sorry about the nausea problem

Don't stop running but maybe run less and just for general fitness. In other words 2 or 3 times per week between 15-20 km per week max. No stress about having to train for events, just fun

Good luck

Thank you, SwissVan.

I have entered Om die dam, OMTOM and Comrades this year. I will make a decision after Two Oceans what my Comrades plan is.

Comrades is not a race where you pitch up if you are not feeling 100% - physically and mentally. 

At this stage I am hoping to get this sorted out before Two Oceans. 

Just enjoy yourself, and don't go out to hard on the first 21km.

Awesome thanks. Did a 1h48mins on the last 21km that I did so fitness should be there. Just a double loop is another ball game. 

Running my first full marathon this weekend - Vaal Marathon. Really looking forward to it, bit nervous though but feel prepared. Any advice for a first timer......?

Good luck Gringo. I agree with Lexx.

Just enjoy it, don't worry about your time. 

Make sure you have your eating strategy in place, don't try anything new.

Take it easy the first half, you are going to need it in the second half.

Thank you, SwissVan.

I have entered Om die dam, OMTOM and Comrades this year. I will make a decision after Two Oceans what my Comrades plan is.

Comrades is not a race where you pitch up if you are not feeling 100% - physically and mentally. 

At this stage I am hoping to get this sorted out before Two Oceans. 

Hacc, we all have our bad moments... I'm sitting here, nearly two weeks since I last ran with a flu that I just can't shake. Vaal was one of my key targets, prime seeding race and now I'm not even sure if I'll be starting.

Comrades is a tough long journey, the training, and then the race - it's time consuming, life consuming. It's what makes it a challenge, it's also what makes it so great. I'm pretty convinced this will be my last Comrades for quite a while, I always just wanted an up and down medal, and I will focus on shorter distances, probably aiming to peak for Two Oceans heading forward. One thing I will definitely not do though is stop running... for time constraint training it's as good as it gets. I love being fit and the simplicity of it all, and it works so well in balancing out family time... I'm pretty sure it's similar for you. 4yrs on the Comrades trail I am sure is tough and will take it's toll, so if it's not happening, scale things back a bit, unburden yourself of that big looming goal and fall in love with your sport again.

I hope your better days on the road are just around the corner  :thumbup:

You are right Andrew, I don't think I will ever stop running. It is part of who I am and it has helped me thru difficult times. (This is difficult to explain to non-runners.) 

I am a neat freak ( I think a little bit of OCD...), I always pack away my shoes and clothes etc. Except for my running shoes, it is always next to my bed  ^_^

I agree we all go thru bad patches with running, I guess you have to work thru it and learn from it.   

Running my first full marathon this weekend - Vaal Marathon. Really looking forward to it, bit nervous though but feel prepared. Any advice for a first timer......?

I had no idea how I would cope on my first marathon, so had a very achievable goal for myself and planned my run around that. As lexx says - you must go through the first 21 still feeling strong. The most important thing is to enjoy it because there is nothing better than that feeling of completing your first marathon.

you should not need to walk your first 21, and when you need to on your second half walk the tables if you need to (that way you ensure you get liquids and any food/gu's you might have properly) and then run between tables