ScottCM

What is the ideal December training for Comrades? That said Im probably doing my Qualfier in Jan, so should probably follow a marathon program over the holidays?

Quite a few programs around over and above those mentioned, also 

http://www.alsoranrunners.info/December17CG.htm

(Some runners say this program is 'too tough', OTT etc, but in any case here it is)

Edited by Pieter-za

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to use Johnson Crane as the last ditch effort to get the Sub 4Hr marathon which alluded me at Kaapsehoop (narrowly missed it). So going to 'try' keep the training up in December.

no contest really...different style of running..its almost a different sport

I see prodigal won it again. Saw no result for mthembu.. Not sure he competed.. Or.. He pulled out

Looking at all of you mapping out the races, I had to have a giggle. Because I also did exactly that and got a bit of an eye-popper when I saw the calendar graphically.

So you enter for XTERRA (yes, I must still learn to swim!) in "late Feb" and enter the CTCT MTB for "somewhere early March". Only to see yesterday evening that they're a week apart!  :whistling: And two weeks before that, Cape Town Duo.

Think that was the final nail in the coffin for my (road) CTCT, which I thought about skipping to have a last long run before Oceans, 3 weeks later.

Seems I'll have a very small rest in Dec and really have to rev it up in Jan!  :w00t:

I am steadily going to build up the kilometers over December with my longest run being a 21km. 

I am doing 3 races in December down in Mosselbay: Moordkuil 15km, the Correctional Services 10km night race and then my usual hangover race, the Oujaarsdraffie 10km.

Also in Hartenbos for a week, but I'm not sure how much running there is going to be as time is limited.  What are the dates of those races?

Soooooo gatvol that I won't be able to do the Groeneweide trail 12 on the 30/12..

Also in Hartenbos for a week, but I'm not sure how much running there is going to be as time is limited.  What are the dates of those races?

Soooooo gatvol that I won't be able to do the Groeneweide trail 12 on the 30/12..

16 Dec - Somerson 21km (Going to miss it...)

19 Dec - Correctional Services Night Race 10km

23 Dec - Moordkuil 15km

30 Dec - Oujaarsdraffie 10km

I see the Mosselbay Mall 10km is on the same day as Moordkuil - that is just stupid.

The Knysna night race is also the same day as Somerson..

So I noticed that a CrossFit studio opened in our office park. I am a firm believer in cross-training while training for Comrades. Can anyone recommend CrossFit as the cross-training option? How many times do you go per week? 

Interesting you mentioning the cross-training. My legs and feet have been starting to feel all the running of late and a couple of months ago on a whim I pulled out the mtb again. Must say I think it does my legs well to not run both days on a weekend, every weekend... esp since a lot of my running is (also) in the mountain. 

So I noticed that a CrossFit studio opened in our office park. I am a firm believer in cross-training while training for Comrades. Can anyone recommend CrossFit as the cross-training option? How many times do you go per week? 

Crossfit was my thing before the triathlon took over. 5 or 6 times a week for years. It's a great sport.

Now that I've all but completely stopped weight training/crossfitting over the last year or so I can definitely see the regression. It sounds silly but I feel more brittle now, more prone to injury, and my legs have definitely lost power (albeit gaining in 'endurance' type strength)

I really want to go back once or twice a week - it'll make a huge difference, but the 'not having enough time' excuse is too easy.

Interesting you mentioning the cross-training. My legs and feet have been starting to feel all the running of late and a couple of months ago on a whim I pulled out the mtb again. Must say I think it does my legs well to not run both days on a weekend, every weekend... esp since a lot of my running is (also) in the mountain. 

Best fitness gains I ever had was running Tuesday to Friday (6 - 10km each day), 2x IDT sessions on the bicycle, long ride on one day of the weekend and long run the other.

Never aimed to run a marathon but was comfortable to run a 21 two days after a 200km Audax ;) 

Best fitness gains I ever had was running Tuesday to Friday (6 - 10km each day), 2x IDT sessions on the bicycle, long ride on one day of the weekend and long run the other.

Never aimed to run a marathon but was comfortable to run a 21 two days after a 200km Audax ;)

Fitness above implying endurance. After this I went through an extended period of doing strength and core work. This made me feel invincible, and definitely not fragile.

Cross training / strength work on top of multi-sport based training is really recommended! It ll makes you realize that doing a lot of the same sport is not really the way to build strength / fitness / endurance in a specific sport