ScottCM

Can you do some light exercise while on Antibiotics. I've picked up a tummy bug and currently on Ciproxx. But I feel much better now, and don't wanna loose out on some training?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you do some light exercise while on Antibiotics. I've picked up a tummy bug and currently on Ciproxx. But I feel much better now, and don't wanna loose out on some training?

Jip, should be no problem. The issue is not the antibiotics, but the reason for the antibiotics. Of it was a systemic issue, I would not exercise, bit for a tumny big it should be fine

I've trained a lot on antibiotics. Just drink lots of water.

And be very aware that certain types of antibiotics actually can cause stiffness in tendons and easier ruptures. Missing a week or so's training is nothing compared to tearing an Achilles. And it is not instant, it does come with warning signs, so just be acute aware of this and rather take it easier IF you are on those kinds of antibiotics. I got express warning when I was - with the "it happens gradually, keep an eye out" voice of reason - but the doc knows that I train.

Also note that both the antibiotics and the illness will cause your HR to be elevated and you're going to struggle to recover, but I usually notice my HR starts dropping in lighter efforts after a couple of weeks or so.

All of that said, I'm not a doctor... I usually ask when the stuff is prescribed what my training should look like and whether I can train, train lighter or continue as I can tolerate.

I've trained a lot on antibiotics. Just drink lots of water.

And be very aware that certain types of antibiotics actually can cause stiffness in tendons and easier ruptures. Missing a week or so's training is nothing compared to tearing an Achilles. And it is not instant, it does come with warning signs, so just be acute aware of this and rather take it easier IF you are on those kinds of antibiotics. I got express warning when I was - with the "it happens gradually, keep an eye out" voice of reason - but the doc knows that I train.

Also note that both the antibiotics and the illness will cause your HR to be elevated and you're going to struggle to recover, but I usually notice my HR starts dropping in lighter efforts after a couple of weeks or so.

All of that said, I'm not a doctor... I usually ask when the stuff is prescribed what my training should look like and whether I can train, train lighter or continue as I can tolerate.

Thanks SeaBee,

Did a slow 5m run this morning. Heart rate was a little bit elevated, but just went a lot slower. Will just take it slow for a couple of days.

So those running peaks I mentioned to you guys last year have really been a great success - we made some samples and sent them out to clubs these last few weeks and the feedback has already been great with several orders already placed.

I've been running with my sample one for a while now and it's nice and light, fits comfy, keeps most of the sweat away from my eyes and functions just like I would hope.

Thanks for all the input guys and girls, caps should be following suite in the next week or so for the follically challenged, just waiting on final production samples  :thumbup:

attachicon.gifGreenstone Club Peak 1 - small.jpg

Would it be possible to have small batch orders made? Want to do something for a group of mates doing a race together

Thanks SeaBee,

Did a slow 5m run this morning. Heart rate was a little bit elevated, but just went a lot slower. Will just take it slow for a couple of days.

LOL, your "slow" is very relative

Taking a shot in the dark here:

Already posted on TrailHub

Hi all,

A group of us are heading down to Hogsback to run the shorter of the Hobbit runs.

Any of you run this race before?

Looking for some input regarding nature of the trail (technical vs non), level of difficulty and overall experience.

Many thanks!

I attach the route profile for those interested as well.

http://mountainrunner.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Merrell-Hobbit-38km-Google-Earth-1.jpg

Taking a shot in the dark here:

Already posted on TrailHub

Hi all,

A group of us are heading down to Hogsback to run the shorter of the Hobbit runs.

Any of you run this race before?

Looking for some input regarding nature of the trail (technical vs non), level of difficulty and overall experience.

Many thanks!

I attach the route profile for those interested as well.

http://mountainrunner.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Merrell-Hobbit-38km-Google-Earth-1.jpg

Hogsback is very up and down.  Probably lots of forest trails, maybe muddy and damp.  Last year the 38km had a bit of a shake-up as a puffadder refused to move off the path......

I will also be doing the 38km....

Would it be possible to have small batch orders made? Want to do something for a group of mates doing a race together

Definitely, the pricing is pretty good in my books... even at small quantities you'll probably find them cheaper than buying a bunch of brand peaks at Totalsports etc.

Give Elton the rep for Joburg a shout: Elton Herridge 082 336 5833 / elton@anatomic.co.za

Hogsback is very up and down.  Probably lots of forest trails, maybe muddy and damp.  Last year the 38km had a bit of a shake-up as a puffadder refused to move off the path......

That's a very lekker part of the world... another one for my list.

Really starting to think it's time to lose this Comrades focus and explore all these other awesome events. But man, that Comrades day sitting on the couch watching FOMO is something ridiculous 

Definitely, the pricing is pretty good in my books... even at small quantities you'll probably find them cheaper than buying a bunch of brand peaks at Totalsports etc.

Give Elton the rep for Joburg a shout: Elton Herridge 082 336 5833 / elton@anatomic.co.za

Great! Let me think about the design a bit then I will get in touch with Elton.

Really starting to think it's time to lose this Comrades focus and explore all these other awesome events. But man, that Comrades day sitting on the couch watching FOMO is something ridiculous 

Having not done Comrades myself, the FOMO is a bit more manageable come the big day, however I had serious FOMO during last year's Otter. 

Thanks, I haven't been able to find any race reports for the 38km so any feedback is appreciated. 

If there is one thing I don't like about road running it is the injuries. It is just such a repetitive action on the legs and especially the joints (read knees). On all the trail stage races I've done my knees are holding out perfect, even after 3 consecutive days. Yes, your muscles are stuffed after day 1, but that I can handle.. But I've never picked up any injuries.

Oh yes, and the second thing I hate about road running is getting to the actual races the morning of the race, bar OMTOM where I walk to the start. The total disregard of any road laws by my fellow runners brings out the best road rage in me.

I see some idiot appeared on my facebook feed harping on about cancelling the 2 oceans and argus tours because of the water usage. I could not comment because of privacy issues, but it infuriated me so much I actually messaged the idiot. Drives me mad how ignorant someone can be about actual water usage these mass sporting events actually use. 

As such I actually calculated the figuresagain - using comrades as a base

sachets - 2 million - 200kl

showers 40000 - 1000kl

other water (misters and hosepipes - 200kl

thats 1400kl - avg annual usage for 30 households (a signal street in Cape Town). I reckon if you go to upper gardens you gonna see that consumption in 1 month from some of those households

Rant over