ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my first Ottosdal cycling and running race. What a well organized day, I can really recommend this event. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the bike ride, even though I couldn't stick with the bunch and ended up doing an 84km solo ride. It was tough as I was not bike (bum) fit or even the distance fit. 

After the bike ride, we had lunch and I took an hour nap and then we started setting up for the run. Again, huge respect for our Ironman athletes. (BTW, how did it go yesterday at IM 70.3?)

The run was a different story. My legs felt tired but I managed to shuffle. The wind picked up badly and it reminded me of my previous Argus rides... It was so bad you couldn't even run in a straight line. I somehow managed to get to the turning point for the 21km and then the rain started. I felt like I was running a marathon, in the dark while it is raining. I survived the run, the nausea was bearable. 

All in all a good mental training day for me. 

Congrats to all qualifying over the weekend.

A hot and humid EL70.3 yesterday.  Tough run in 30 degs, but something about the EL event that pushes you and gives a sense of achievement and satisfaction.  Put it all out on the course yesterday, feeling it today.... buy in a good way!! :)

Race report and time on the EL70.3 thread https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/170270-ironman-703-east-london-2018/page-8

I did my first Ottosdal cycling and running race. What a well organized day, I can really recommend this event. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the bike ride, even though I couldn't stick with the bunch and ended up doing an 84km solo ride. It was tough as I was not bike (bum) fit or even the distance fit. 

After the bike ride, we had lunch and I took an hour nap and then we started setting up for the run. Again, huge respect for our Ironman athletes. (BTW, how did it go yesterday at IM 70.3?)

The run was a different story. My legs felt tired but I managed to shuffle. The wind picked up badly and it reminded me of my previous Argus rides... It was so bad you couldn't even run in a straight line. I somehow managed to get to the turning point for the 21km and then the rain started. I felt like I was running a marathon, in the dark while it is raining. I survived the run, the nausea was bearable. 

All in all a good mental training day for me. 

Congrats to all qualifying over the weekend.

Kudos, Hacc. Picking yourself up for a half marathon in tough conditions late in the day after a long ride… that's a lot of self motivation right there. Well done.

Definitely no need to rush it... it's not going anywhere! And when you get that qualifier out the way and make a call, entries are pretty easy to find should you want to. Especially this year I reckon as a lot of people pulled the trigger that will most likely not be lining up at PMB in June. Ultras are not everyones cup of tea.

Where the rest of the race reports guys n girls?

Barry I see your Johnsons went nicely - how did the pacing plan work for Comrades?

Thanks, Andrew. What a pleasure to run a marathon as a training run with zero pressure. Even the start was unstressful, I walked up with 5 minutes to go, joined the back and ambled with the crowd until we crossed the mat. Normally I'd be darting like a rabbit between runners and onto pavements, freaking out about time lost but it was great to actually just go with the flow for the first couple of kays until it spread out.

I didn't give my legs a rest this week but by 8km they loosened up and then the rhythm was easy and they felt pretty good the whole way through. It's not a hilly race, though, so there weren't any hills to suck the energy out of them. I think I would have been comfortable holding that pace for maybe another 20, but another 48? Geez, I don't know. I think I would need to slow it down by at least 10s/km for now but I'll see closer to the time.

How's your calf feeling this week?

Any race reports from Johnson Crane? :clap:

Did the JC marathon yesterday. Was a well organised race. Finished in 4H03 (Just narrowly missed my goal of a sub 4)...

Route was flat but deceptively difficult especially the last couple of km's on the second lap.

Did the JC marathon yesterday. Was a well organised race. Finished in 4H03 (Just narrowly missed my goal of a sub 4)...

Route was flat but deceptively difficult especially the last couple of km's on the second lap.

Congrats on a great finish time. I agree, a flat route can be deceptively hard work.

Congrats on a great finish time. I agree, a flat route can be deceptively hard work.

Yep. The roads also has a camber to them which worked the calves and hammies. Feeling sore today, haha. Need to work on my endurance between the 25-35km mark...

Thanks, Andrew. What a pleasure to run a marathon as a training run with zero pressure. Even the start was unstressful, I walked up with 5 minutes to go, joined the back and ambled with the crowd until we crossed the mat. Normally I'd be darting like a rabbit between runners and onto pavements, freaking out about time lost but it was great to actually just go with the flow for the first couple of kays until it spread out.

I didn't give my legs a rest this week but by 8km they loosened up and then the rhythm was easy and they felt pretty good the whole way through. It's not a hilly race, though, so there weren't any hills to suck the energy out of them. I think I would have been comfortable holding that pace for maybe another 20, but another 48? Geez, I don't know. I think I would need to slow it down by at least 10s/km for now but I'll see closer to the time.

How's your calf feeling this week?

Nice man, that's still a damn good time for an easy outing  :thumbup: 

Calf not lekker, managed a Waterpolo match on Sat, it held up fine for that, but otherwise it's definitely not a happy camper... going to need some fixing (hopefully fast). My right one is also feeling a little tight and tender...

Seeing the physio at 3pm today

A hot and humid EL70.3 yesterday.  Tough run in 30 degs, but something about the EL event that pushes you and gives a sense of achievement and satisfaction.  Put it all out on the course yesterday, feeling it today.... buy in a good way!! :)

Race report and time on the EL70.3 thread https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/170270-ironman-703-east-london-2018/page-8

Very nicely done Shaper - that's a great time  :thumbup:

Nice man, that's still a damn good time for an easy outing  :thumbup: 

Calf not lekker, managed a Waterpolo match on Sat, it held up fine for that, but otherwise it's definitely not a happy camper... going to need some fixing (hopefully fast). My right one is also feeling a little tight and tender...

Seeing the physio at 3pm today

IANAP (I am not a physio) but given how well it held up in waterpolo, do you think swimming could be a good form of rehab for you? Brutally effective workout for your cardio as well, isn't it?

Edited by Barry Stuart

Any race reports from Johnson Crane? :clap:

Did the JC marathon yesterday.

I had two goals for this race:

a) Complete the race without compromising Ironman training too much

b) Run a sub 5 Comrades qualifier

Arrived nice and early. Or rather, arrived nice and early at 4:50 at the highway off ramp. Took me another hour to try and find parking at the cricket field which according to the organisers had "plenty of parking available." In the end I climbed a pavement 300m from the start line (having a bakkie has its perks).

Didn't think the race would be a warm one but found myself sweating quite a bit almost from the start with the high humidity.

Kept the pace constant at about 6:45-6:50min/km and completed the first lap in 2:23  feeling quite comfortable. Had a few incidents on the second lap with impatient motorists ignoring the marshals and basically driving through batches of runners. (A few choice words were spoken; having to break rhythm to avoid cars with 36km odd in the legs is no fun).

Also had a few issues at the water tables towards the end with most of them having run out of water and only having coke left. (FYI Coke + Rehidrat is not a pleasant combo)

Finished in 4:55; mission(s) accomplished. Legs a little sore this morning but the 30min recovery swim I did last night seemed to have helped quite a bit. Will take it slow for the next couple of days and then back to IMSA training.

PS

For any novices thinking of doing to JC next year; yes it is flat, but not necessarily easy, you have to work the whole time with only really one downhill of about 1km to relax a little

Did the JC marathon yesterday.

I had two goals for this race:

a) Complete the race without compromising Ironman training too much

b) Run a sub 5 Comrades qualifier

Arrived nice and early. Or rather, arrived nice and early at 4:50 at the highway off ramp. Took me another hour to try and find parking at the cricket field which according to the organisers had "plenty of parking available." In the end I climbed a pavement 300m from the start line (having a bakkie has its perks).

Didn't think the race would be a warm one but found myself sweating quite a bit almost from the start with the high humidity.

Kept the pace constant at about 6:45-6:50min/km and completed the first lap in 2:23  feeling quite comfortable. Had a few incidents on the second lap with impatient motorists ignoring the marshals and basically driving through batches of runners. (A few choice words were spoken; having to break rhythm to avoid cars with 36km odd in the legs is no fun).

Also had a few issues at the water tables towards the end with most of them having run out of water and only having coke left. (FYI Coke + Rehidrat is not a pleasant combo)

Finished in 4:55; mission(s) accomplished. Legs a little sore this morning but the 30min recovery swim I did last night seemed to have helped quite a bit. Will take it slow for the next couple of days and then back to IMSA training.

PS

For any novices thinking of doing to JC next year; yes it is flat, but not necessarily easy, you have to work the whole time with only really one downhill of about 1km to relax a little

As Hacc said, I'll take an undulating route for a PB over a flat one any day. Hills also break a run up mentally. Each hill becomes its own small part of the race and afterwards you're rewarded with great running and an opportunity to make your pace back.

As for the traffic, I did the same as you last year and ended up missing the start by 30 minutes. I left the house at 3:45 this time. That bottleneck into the stadium unfortunately causes an major backlog all the way to the freeway.

The highlight for me was a female runner who pushed her baby the entire way in a jogging pram. I think she finished in about 3:40 or thereabouts.

The highlight for me was a female runner who pushed her baby the entire way in a jogging pram. I think she finished in about 3:40 or thereabouts.

????