ScottCM

Convince him to enter the 100 miler, then offer to pace him for the 2nd 50 miles.

He can race the first 50 miles hard and then you get to run with him once he is buggered and you will be easily as strong as him and then you as a pacer don't pay entry.

Win

Win

Win

Now thats clever thinking....exactly what i think i must suggest.

Excellent idea, thank you :clap:

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how much drop in pace per km can I expect from my McCarthy Toyota half @ 2:19 to vaal marathon?

What is the rule of thumb.

So how much drop in pace per km can I expect from my McCarthy Toyota half @ 2:19 to vaal marathon?

I would usually say drop off 30sec/minute per km in pace... but Vaal is quite a fast route, and you have that half experience and a few more miles under the belt now so aim for just over 2:20 for the first half and that gives you 15 minutes or so extra for the second half.

It's a fine balancing act, go out hard, bomb, completely blow and likely DNF or miss sub 5, or take it sensible, preserve the legs as much as possible and try keep the splits pretty even. You will 95% of the time be slower on the second half... so it's about having a goal and sticking to it as it's easy to get carried away on the road. The second half of a marathon is never easy... especially those last 5-10kms

So what are the running plans for the weekend?

I am running Deloittes 21km on Sunday. Hoping not to feel nauseous and just enjoy the race. 

Good luck to all running PMB this weekend and the Congo Marathon. Anyone doing the Deloittes or Township Marathon?

Just a half marathon on Sunday, not in a race, just a run around a few Roodepoort suburbs.

Depends, I went exactly 1min/km slower than my 21 PB on my first Marathon. Im glad I did because I could run the whole way and finished without feeling broken. Next time I’ll maybe only drop of 30s/min on my 21 time.

Depends, I went exactly 1min/km slower than my 21 PB on my first Marathon. Im glad I did because I could run the whole way and finished without feeling broken. Next time I’ll maybe only drop of 30s/min on my 21 time.

Out of interest what was your half PB at the time, and what was your marathon time in the end?

So what are the running plans for the weekend?

I’ll be happy if I can run, regardless of distance ???? Took the whole week off after my Achilles acted up, they feel better although still stiff. Started my strength training in all earnest again, it seems that as soon as I dont do my exercises I get injured.

HM 1h45, 5min/km. FM 4h14, 6.01m/km

Definitely a bit of a different kettle of fish to where Carpet is right now, but very interesting to see  :thumbup: 

I'm assuming you'd done quite a few half's before hitting a full? Our PB's are pretty much the same, I haven't raced a 21km in ages though - everything these days is based on training for the Big C  :blush:

Definitely a bit of a different kettle of fish to where Carpet is right now, but very interesting to see :thumbup:

I'm assuming you'd done quite a few half's before hitting a full? Our PB's are pretty much the same, I haven't raced a 21km in ages though - everything these days is based on training for the Big C :blush:

Only raced two 21km before the 42km. But in training Ive done plenty. My longest run before the marathon was only 30km, thats why I decided to run conservatively. I had aspirations of a sub 4, but the closer I got to race day the more respect I got for the distance ????

You running your first Marathon? Good luck

I’ll be happy if I can run, regardless of distance Took the whole week off after my Achilles acted up, they feel better although still stiff. Started my strength training in all earnest again, it seems that as soon as I dont do my exercises I get injured.

Same here... and I get so irritated with myself when I know I've dropped the ball on this  :cursing: