OMNICO (GT) customer service is pathetic!!!

Robbow

colours change very year,the bike is over a year old, they're not going to have the same frame colour in stock. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly this is what mountain biking has come to.

calling your lawyers 'cos you broke your frame and they gave you a replacement free of charge?

Whaaaat?

colours change very year,the bike is over a year old, they're not going to have the same frame colour in stock. 

You are missing the point, I am well aware that colours change.

What I am complaining about is the rear triangle being a different colour to the rest of the frame, if they gave me a complete frame in a different colour I wouldn't be stoked but understand the limitations of stock.

e.g. You drive a white car and they replace your faulty bonnet with a red one, tough luck thats what we have so you must lump it...happy?

I am still waiting for them to phone me back on a spare part problem. They are not the quickest to help.

sadly this is what mountain biking has come to.

calling your lawyers 'cos you broke your frame and they gave you a replacement free of charge?

Not the frame the rear triangle if he got the whole frame there would not of been a issue,big difference between the two.Omnico should surely ask what year,model and colour it is that is not rocket science.

The least they can do is uphold your warranty on the painted replacement part. I have not dealt with Omnico but from what I saw them donate as prizes to the TDF fantasy league, they don't seem right fisted at all. Amazing actually. I understand the OP being upset, and I also understand the lack of an avaliable spare. What I don't understand is when companies are not upfront or don't keep customers informed. They could have handled this better I think and although a warranty may not entitle you to a matching colour when you see how some companies like trek deal with warranties or even nespresso for that matter I believe slowly but surely brands with sub par warranties or bad customer service will be weeded out and they will lose business over time.

Not condoning anyone here but as GT are not producing any 29er's for 2016 and only had a few for 2015. I reckon they stopped producing 29er's mid 2014 and have now run out of replacement stock.

Edit: On a second note I have heard that GT/Cannondale/Mongoose/Schwinn along with others in the US are just as bad, and treat South Africa as an after thought.

eg: Fox not supplying Omnico with Fox 32mm service kits in 3 orders.

Unfortunately we live in the arse end of Africa and do not compete with Europe or US on volume, therefore we are treated like the unwanted step child and to a large degree given leftovers or nothing when stock is low.

Not condoning anyone here but as GT are not producing any 29er's for 2016 and only had a few for 2015. I reckon they stopped producing 29er's mid 2014 and have now run out of replacement stock.

Not the Op's problem. 

Give him a new bike. 

If there no 29er?

Offer him the same or closest spec of what he bought initially. 

I am pretty sure GT has spares for these, I'll have a guess that this is largely related to the typical South African customer service practices we endure and experience every day of -

"hey customer your money is good when you buy it, need it fixed **ck you, we don't care!"

I am not sure what the rules/laws are regarding the industry but in the motor industry the manufacturer has to make replacement parts for every model for at least 10 years after the last car rolls off the production line.

Offer him the same or closest spec of what he bought initially. 

I am pretty sure GT has spares for these, I'll have a guess that this is largely related to the typical South African customer service practices we endure and experience every day of -

"hey customer your money is good when you buy it, need it fixed **ck you, we don't care!"

I am not sure what the rules/laws are regarding the industry but in the motor industry the manufacturer has to make replacement parts for every model for at least 10 years after the last car rolls off the production line.

I agree with the above but read my edited first post.

I work in a LBS and have had the same issues with Omnico and GT, one customer had to wait about 5/6 months for a replacement swing arm.

In the bike industry production is generally only carried for 4 years. If memory serves Mavic and Shimano do 5 years. 

I agree with the above but read my edited first post.

I work in a LBS and have had the same issues with Omnico and GT, one customer had to wait about 5/6 months for a replacement swing arm.

In the bike industry production is generally only carried for 4 years. If memory serves Mavic and Shimano do 5 years. 

I agree with your edited post. 

But... I doubt GT int would have sent Omnico a used rear triangle... 

I agree with your edited post. 

But... I doubt GT int would have sent Omnico a used rear triangle... 

Definitely not. This would have been Omnico robbing a rear triangle off another warrantied bike to try match the colour.

Edit: On a second note I have heard that GT/Cannondale/Mongoose/Schwinn in the US are just as bad, and treat South Africa as an after thought. eg: not supplying Omnico with Fox 32mm service kits in 3 orders.

Unfortunately we live in the arse end of Africa and do not compete with Europe or US on volume, therefore we are treated like the unwanted step child and to a large degree given leftovers or nothing when stock is low.

I think that dated attitude is largely part of the problem, when in fact it's very much the opposite in many respects, especially now a days. Seperate issue though. 

Can understand the issue with availability of colour palettes across different models and seasons. However there's a large number of fully accredited paint shops in the country, so appointing a few to do repaints to a specific pallete should be feasible and take care of any warranty issues. 

ISO standards more than accommodate this across a number of industries.

Archived