Taariq_91

Hi,

I am planning a MTB trail + Bush camping trip. I have the everything I need including a suitable location. The only missing element is a trailer to attach to my bicycle, or something that sort to help transport some of the camping goods. 

I know that this is not a very common MTB experience, and I have searched for a trailer at numerous cycling/sports stores without any luck and multiple dumbstruck expressions from store assistants. But I imagine being out there in the bush with nothing but a tent and my bike to be something spectacular.

If anyone knows where I may find a trailer or perhaps someone who could fabricate one for me, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks,

Edited by Taariq_Benn

You can use any trailer and fit a bike rack on top. Hanler products makes (and sells) them locally for each type of trailer and they work well. Just make sure the trailer does not have a tent on top...

Build my own trailer many years ago before these new 4x4 trailers was available . Been all over Namibia , Mozambique , Tanzania and Malawi and always bikes on top . Have since redone the complete thing in Aluminium and have upgraded the suspension after breaking a few axles . 

Why do you want to use a trailer?

Too many things to go wrong IMO.  Wheel size for starters?

Why do you want to use a trailer?

Too many things to go wrong IMO.  Wheel size for starters?

To carry a tent, water supply and perhaps some sleeping bags.

I have a range of bicycles to attach the trailer to, 26"/29" and hardtails/softtails.

I have a set of old 20" and 26" wheels that I could use. Just not sure how to go about this.

I will be travelling approximately 30kms with the trailer, so it would need to be well-built, which is why I would prefer to not construct one myself :blink:

BOB trailers - Yak or Ibex. Personally, I've used a pannier rack and a 30l backpack strapped to the rack with bungee chords. When things get gnarly, put backpack on your back and gun the singletrack...

Import yourself  a BOB cargo trailer .

I did so many moons ago and NOT willing to sell it .

I considered that, but I would like to do this within the next two weeks. Importing would take a month +.

BOB trailers - Yak or Ibex. Personally, I've used a pannier rack and a 30l backpack strapped to the rack with bungee chords. When things get gnarly, put backpack on your back and gun the singletrack...

Pannier racks are quite easy to source. I've seen one this weekend. Just wasn't too sure about how stable they are. 

Perhaps equipping multiple bikes with these racks would work :thumbup:

Ok that is something different . I have also looked at a trailer to attach to a bicycle and decided that the old pram will be perfect candidate . Will start on it soon .

Ok that is something different . I have also looked at a trailer to attach to a bicycle and decided that the old pram will be perfect candidate . Will start on it soon .

I'd be keen to see the end result. Please do post something when you're done.

As the man says.  You can get heaps of stuff on a rack/backpack  Tent, sleeping bag and mattress included and only for 30kms? I think it may be overkill doing the trailer thing?

Pannier racks are quite easy to source. I've seen one this weekend. Just wasn't too sure about how stable they are. 

Perhaps equipping multiple bikes with these racks would work :thumbup:

The bigger your load capacity, the more unnecessary stuff you drag along. Get the smallest down sleeping bag (I use a capestorm midge - they don't make it any more) & lightweight tent. 

Panniers are very stable. I mounted a topeak rack that attaches to a seatpost with a quick release. We cycled unsupported from Knysna to Jeffreysbay via Uniodale & Baviaanskloof in 2004 - no problem. Stayed at B&Bs though and bought food along the way where available - planning very important! Still carried +- 10kgs.