11-25 vs. 11-28

StevieL

I have a 11-25 and barely use the 25 tooth.

Gauteng is too flat to need anything bigger.

As mentioned above, for things like the jock and panorama tour, I would use a 11-27 just to give that little bit extra.

I'll show you some hills in Johannesburg...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently swapped to a compact with an 11- 27. Very rarely use the easy gears but nice to have it available.

I weigh 79kg

A-B batch rider

I have had both in the last 6 months

I ride Suikerbosrand(Up to 7% Gradient climbs if I am not mistaken) faster and recover faster with the 11-28

Flipping heck guys why not just fit a triple crank as well

I love my triple crank on my MTB

Anything from 6-60km/h

53/39 with 11/28 (11spd) on one bike and 12/25 & 11/23 (10spd) on the other bike's wheels.

That extra gear in the reserve (suikerbosrand) is always welcome, more a luxury than necessity. Just ask a few mates who were stuck on 21 or 23 as their biggest rear gear.

I reckon that standard crank is the issue, but that's just my opinion. I run an 11-23 for training and a 12-25 for races.

That 12 is a disadvantage sometimes.... got caught out on the long downhill at the back of smitswinkel.... couldnt spin fast enough to stay in the bunch (53/39).... threw that cassette away...

Gears are like condoms....

Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

I have 11- 28 just in case ...

That 12 is a disadvantage sometimes.... got caught out on the long downhill at the back of smitswinkel.... couldnt spin fast enough to stay in the bunch (53/39).... threw that cassette away...

Just wondering for the technical mathematicians out there .... taking a cadence of say 100RPM what would be your maximum speed with a 53*12 vs 53*11?

Gone are the days of being frowned up for:

- 28t cassettes

- compact cranks

- 25mm tyres

- white bibs :eek:  sorry, that reamins a no no.! LOL

Just wondering for the technical mathematicians out there .... taking a cadence of say 100RPM what would be your maximum speed with a 53*12 vs 53*11?

1/12 - so about 8%

Archived