The LBS Said so....

Cois

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LBS told me that a 10 speed chain will work on a single speed chain ring.  

Went trough the shop, got a R90 single speed chain and was happy after that.  The 8 speed chain did not even fit on the SS bike.

Tires work in all conditions.

Have a set of Killer Bee Vredensteins.  They are like snot when wet.  Even a little dampness causes them to slip when putting down a bit of power.  The LBS told me that they will work in wet weather when I returned to the LBS to get a set of tires that can handle wet and damp weather.

LBS told me that a 10 speed chain will work on a single speed chain ring.  

Went trough the shop, got a R90 single speed chain and was happy after that.  The 8 speed chain did not even fit on the SS bike.

I run a 8spd chain on my SS with SS chain ring and cog....why did it not work for you?

You get good bike shops, and you get bad bike shops......getting to know the difference is paramount.

i went into a bike shop asking for gear cables and some outer... and the guy tried to sell me some brake cables.....and insisted they would work...

I run a 8spd chain on my SS with SS chain ring and cog....why did it not work for you?

You get good bike shops, and you get bad bike shops......getting to know the difference is paramount.

The chain would not fit onto the gears. It did not go down into the valley of the gears at all.

About a year or so ago I walked into a bike shop and asked the guy if he had any old throwaway cassettes for me. I explained that I was building a single speed and wanted to use the spacers that seperated the cogs. Not only did he tell me that I couldn't do it that way but he also told me that he kept the old cassettes for his customers.

I went to another bike shop. They show me buckets filled with old worn cassettes, chainrings, bb's, bearings, chains you name it. Told me to help myself. It was basically just scrap metal to them he said. Not only did I get over enough spacers from all the worn cassettes. But also a selection of cogs in various tooth sizes that had lots of life left in them. 

My LBS banned me from the workshop on Saturday, and said the most technical thing I am allowed to do there is feed the fish... 

post-1604-0-31701500-1442831466_thumb.jpg

Went to a very well known Bike shop in Greenside, asked about 26inch tubeless tyres. Was shown Schwable somethin-or-others, was quoted R750 a tyre (3 years ago, for 26inch tyres)

I then declined those tyres at those prices, asked about something less expensive...was told, "we only cater for the more serious riders"

Have not spent a cent of my not-so-serious money at that shop since, they are by far the most convenient shop for me, but at this stage I have been getting great service from my LBS which is about 20km away from said shop in Greenside. I can even arrange after hours collection/delivery of goods...

I need something done to my bike tomorrow, short notice and all, I called my LBS and he said he will be able to help out as long as there are no surprises when opening up and servicing.

I believe him as he has helped me out before :)

LBS is less than a km from my office.

So my LBS said so............and I believe him!

My LBS told me they don't need a torque wrench and that they can "feel" 6NM and 10Nm, dragged my bike and dropped jaw out and found a new LBS.

A well know LBS told me that 160mm rotars are more efficient than my 180mm as they are overkill. This when I wanted to upgrade to 203mm

A while ago I had a post asking for advice, in short I wanted to know if a taprred steerer fork will fit onto a straight steerer headtube.

Advice was given and I need to source a part.

Went to the following bike shops to find out about the part, basically I tried to source the part from a shop who might have stock.

West Rand Cycles...knew about the part but did not have stock.

Cajees - Horison...Never know that the part exist but will find out and let me know...3 weeks still no phone call.

Cajees - Retail Crossing...knew about the part but did not have stock.

Westdene Cycles...Facial expression of the guy told me that he really did not know what I'm looking for...reply "We had stock but it is sold out do not know when we will get stock again"

Cycle Lab...Spoke to the person booking the bikes for services etc. did not know...went to ask a mech... "Reply there is no such part or conversion"... I confronted the guy about what he just said with a reply that it can be done with the part....Reply "the mech has been working on bikes for the past 10 years and he said it can not be done, but I'm welcome to chat to him"....Just said it is fine and left.

Eagle Canyon Cycles...Did not know about the part.

Solomons Woodmead...Basically a small detour home...knew about the part but did not have stock.

Would be an interesting exercise to have asked more bikeshops the same question to test the level of "REAL" knowledge about bikes....

Archived