Fenix 3 reliability and issues

Messier87

Is my Fenix 3 defective? I don't get good battery life. Took off charge those morning at 6am. Battery 100%. Activity tracking off, glonass off, didn't touch watch till just before 8 for parkrun. Did a 30 min run, turned on Bluetooth to sync activity and then off. Then just had watch on. About 12 hours later it's down to 56%. Using the standard watch face.

Something is wrong

In the last 3 months been getting a week easy between charging, but on Friday, I had the same issue.

Charged it the morning, and by lunch time it was at 56%. I switched it off, then on and it is fine again.

Bluetooth and WiFi is on.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my new HRM-Tri sensor and can't wait to try it out.

I also see that they have fixed one of my pet peeves on the strap.

The little flap that keeps the clasp / hook away from your body is now facing backwards and not forward as on my HRM-Run sensors' strap.

Used to irritate me as I normally put my fingers under the sensor and run them backwards around my body to set the strap properly.  

That used to cause me to have to put the little flap back all the time exposing the little plastic clasp / hook.

• 5 months later...

can anybody suggest the best place in JHB to buy replacement straps for the Fenix 3? my online search found very few hits

• 2 months later...

It's a great watch (when it works).

I've had mine for a little under a year now. Using the latest software, version 7.20 with every second recording and GLONASS on (as I have done since I got the watch).

Ran the Green Point parkrun this morning. Started a new run activity, got the green circle for a GPS lock (as I always do) and pressed start when the run began.

First 1 km was spot on (time was 4:12), but after passing the 2 km mark, I realised the watch hadn't vibrated for the 2nd lap. Had a look at it was only on about 1.36 km.

Stopped and started the activity, thinking I'd accidentally paused it, but I hadn't and as I continued running my distance hardly increased.

At the finish, it only recorded 2.46 km.

The weird thing is, the way points/route is pretty much spot on. Have a look for yourself: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1268173989

This watch has done way too many weird things like this (once is even too many in my opinion for a device in this price range).

Tempted to return it and get another one (hopefully a more recently manufactured one and not some old stock).

I've had mine for a little under a year now. Using the latest software, version 7.20 with every second recording and GLONASS on (as I have done since I got the watch).

Ran the Green Point parkrun this morning. Started a new run activity, got the green circle for a GPS lock (as I always do) and pressed start when the run began.

First 1 km was spot on (time was 4:12), but after passing the 2 km mark, I realised the watch hadn't vibrated for the 2nd lap. Had a look at it was only on about 1.36 km.

Stopped and started the activity, thinking I'd accidentally paused it, but I hadn't and as I continued running my distance hardly increased.

The weird thing is, the way points/route is pretty much spot on. Have a look for yourself: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1268173989

This watch has done way too many weird things like this (once is even too many in my opinion for a device in this price range).

Tempted to return it and get another one (hopefully a more recently manufactured one and not some old stock).

You tried with GLONASS off? I have never had it on and have had no gps issues.

Only issue I had, in one of the recent updates all the settings got changed to imperial from metric, only noticed when I did a run and info was displayed in miles

In the last 3 months been getting a week easy between charging, but on Friday, I had the same issue.

Charged it the morning, and by lunch time it was at 56%. I switched it off, then on and it is fine again.

Bluetooth and WiFi is on.

Only charge on a PC .Wall charges destroy the battery ,especially if you leave it on after it has been fully charged 

You tried with GLONASS off? I have never had it on and have had no gps issues.

Only issue I had, in one of the recent updates all the settings got changed to imperial from metric, only noticed when I did a run and info was displayed in miles

Thanks, I'll turn GLONASS off and if I decide to keep the watch (and not return) it, I'll see if it makes a difference.

I recall in my initial research when buying the F3 there was a lot of complaints about the GPS/GLONASS accuracy, but if my memory is reliable it was all GLONASS related. I do not use it and regarding distance and positioning accuracy I cannot complain.

In fact - I cannot complain about the F3 at all. Very happy. Some gripes with connection to my mobile phone and other small things, but now I am picking on things that is not really relevant.

A lot of money, but I feel it is a very good unit.