Fenix 3 reliability and issues

Messier87

I am in need of a new heart rate monitor for cycling and running and am contemplating the Garmin Fenix 3. There are however many unhappy complaints about the unit freezing, losing Ant+ / Bluetooth accessory connections and inaccurate GPS measured distances to just name a few.

I understand the firmware updates will address some problems, but how much has the problems been eliminated thus far?

The last thing I want is a unit that irritates me because I spent a fortune, but the experience is not so smooth. And if features doesn't work or gives trouble mid ride/run - NOT EVEN AN OPTION. Then I spend less on a unit that only do basics - well.

I would appreciate if those of you that have spend some time with the Fenix 3 could shed some light on their experiences and how firmware versions has helped or not helped.

Got mine just more than a week ago, auto updated to Ver. 5.00 software and downloaded some watchfaces and widgets without effort.  

Been using it since and really enjoying it, using it all the time not like my other watches that I took off when I got home.  100% stable, no issues whatsoever, no reboots or resets so far...

HR sensor works for Edge800 and Feniks3 simutaneously and GPS distance are extremely close even after lots of hairpin single track. Don't know what people are complaining about.

Battery runtime is awesome, doesn't even feel that I have to charge it so far, it is so far apart and I connect it to configure and download enough that so charging is a side effect.

Really enjoy the connectivity features with my Android phone, vibrating and flashing WhatsApp messages and SMS onscreen so that I don't even have to reach for my phone.  Calendar sync as well.

Very smart Android app if you are into daily activity tracking and health stuff, sleep and fatigue tracking... Like the "MOVE!" reminder when I sit at desk for too long... 

I love gadgets and this is by far the best gadget I have ever owned!

Get one!  ;-)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine just more than a week ago, auto updated to Ver. 5.00 software and downloaded some watchfaces and widgets without effort.  

Been using it since and really enjoying it, using it all the time not like my other watches that I took off when I got home.  100% stable, no issues whatsoever, no reboots or resets so far...

HR sensor works for Edge800 and Feniks3 simutaneously and GPS distance are extremely close even after lots of hairpin single track. Don't know what people are complaining about.

Battery runtime is awesome, doesn't even feel that I have to charge it so far, it is so far apart and I connect it to configure and download enough that so charging is a side effect.

Really enjoy the connectivity features with my Android phone, vibrating and flashing WhatsApp messages and SMS onscreen so that I don't even have to reach for my phone.  Calendar sync as well.

Very smart Android app if you are into daily activity tracking and health stuff, sleep and fatigue tracking... Like the "MOVE!" reminder when I sit at desk for too long... 

I love gadgets and this is by far the best gadget I have ever owned!

Get one!  ;-)

+100

Loving mine. 

Only slightly peeved when it tells me to "MOVE!" when I've just had a 2 hour ride, though. Or a 45 min jog. LOL.

How often do you guys charge it? On a day without using any functions it is down to about 45% for 15 hours of having it on my hand. Then I charge overnight. Haven't used gps in a while

How often do you guys charge it? On a day without using any functions it is down to about 45% for 15 hours of having it on my hand. Then I charge overnight. Haven't used gps in a while

Have a look to see if GLONASS is on. I'm getting just under a week with moderate use (45 min recording every 2nd day then 2h on friday)

Well, I was before I injured myself.

I charge mine maybe once a week.  That's with 1h30 gym in the morning, 10k trail run with gps two afternoons and 2 runs or rides on the weekend...

Oh and I wear it 24/7.

Do you use any custom watchfaces?  There are some nice ones out there but some of them will eat your battery in a few hours...

Have a look to see if GLONASS is on. I'm getting just under a week with moderate use (45 min recording every 2nd day then 2h on friday)

Well, I was before I injured myself.

How long are you 'incapacitated' for captain?

How long are you 'incapacitated' for captain?

Well, I was going to go for a small spin today but going by the past 2 nights.... eish. I'm going to be relegated to walking for a while.

Taking the opportunity to do a few upgrades

I charge mine maybe once a week. That's with 1h30 gym in the morning, 10k trail run with gps two afternoons and 2 runs or rides on the weekend...

Oh and I wear it 24/7.

Do you use any custom watchfaces? There are some nice ones out there but some of them will eat your battery in a few hours...

I did use a custom watchface called Segments. Lost 9% battery in the last 2.5 hours.

So now using standard face. Put off altimeter, barometer and temperature faces. Switched off activity tracking. Glonass off. Bluetooth or wifi was not on

Let's see now.

yeah. At the moment I just use my fingers as a gauge of tightness. 

That is only useful in one specific circumstance.... and I am not sure your wife would appreciate being called a bicycle.... :)

Fingers are way not accurate... - I always check mine with a torque wrench, and more often than not I am under the spec number - as you know this can be hazardous to your health.

I have no issues at all (except that some of my rides paused when my hand presses against it while cycling but soon realized you can lock the device *problem solved), love the Fenix3, charge lasts me about 5-7days, absolutely great product.

Is my Fenix 3 defective? I don't get good battery life. Took off charge those morning at 6am. Battery 100%. Activity tracking off, glonass off, didn't touch watch till just before 8 for parkrun. Did a 30 min run, turned on Bluetooth to sync activity and then off. Then just had watch on. About 12 hours later it's down to 56%. Using the standard watch face.

Something is wrong

Is my Fenix 3 defective? I don't get good battery life. Took off charge those morning at 6am. Battery 100%. Activity tracking off, glonass off, didn't touch watch till just before 8 for parkrun. Did a 30 min run, turned on Bluetooth to sync activity and then off. Then just had watch on. About 12 hours later it's down to 56%. Using the standard watch face.

Something is wrong

You probably have an app or something installed that does that. I have had quite a couple of problems. Had a lot of stuff installed as it seemed nice to have and because the watch could... things were a little unstable initially, but it was probably self inflicted. Something affected battery life as well.

I have since reset and installed new firmware together with a few basics I use and nothing else. FW 5.0 and only a few apps. Std watch face.

Now the watch is solid and battery life is more than a week. Glad to say that I am happy with the Fenix 3.

Since I am busy - had an issue with the HRM that went faulty. Went in to Garmin and they sorted it out right there and then with a new one. Their support is brilliant! To me the Fenix was worth the price...