Depending woes, new bike , less speed

I'm wondering if anyone can explain or has some helpful info.

So I uses to ride a 2012 merida race 903 , Alu frame Tiagra group set. And often clocked 73-74kph on decents. Now I splashed on a giant txt advanced SL, and this thing decends like a pig, I struggle to push past 60kph and even at that speed she feels very jumpy, and lacking control.

Always imagined these better bikes would be even better in the decents but , it really doesn't seem great.

Frame tcr advanced sl

Campagnolo vento reaction/ Easton circut wheels

Ultegra 10speed

you just proved its not the kit its the man !

however you have also proved that sometimes a good workman can blame bad tools

lol

maybe you just need to tweak your fit and get comfortably into getting the best out of a new ride

Are you comparing the same hill(s)? Weight is a massive (pun intended) factor. Rolling resistance of the tyres, different bearings, different/worse aerodynamics. Or like NixM said, maybe your speedo calib was incorrect on the Merida.. 

Possible bike geometry!

Old bike more race orientated rider position and aerodynamic. New bike more upright rider position creating more drag

Feel the same here. But I also figured out that I lost muscle weight to reach my target goal.

So I am taking the bike for 1 last test at SBR on Friday and depends on the outcome you might see a nice machine with some really nice wheels.

I can feel the difference on down hill and straight but lacking in the climbs.

Maybe it is not about the bike.

Maybe there is a point where the gain is so marginal that we don't feel it.

I will get flamed for this but I felt more performance\acceleration with my old bike Spez Venge Ultegra with Fulcrum 3.5 Racing wheels than my current Giant Propel SL exact groupset and with Zipp 303 tubbies with ceramic bearings. 

But doing a circuit route I knocked 4 minutes off my time.

Its like when I used to race Karts and motorbikes on tracks. Your fastest laps were often those that felt scrappiest and all over the place cause you were so busy. You came in cursing as you thought you had cocked it up but when you looked at the lap sheets you had done PB's.

Go figure. Lap sheets dont lie.

You may have got used to a feeling of speed, but that feeling may be slow.

I did the same - went from a Steel frames Merckx (wish i still had it) to a Carbon Trek 5500. I was half an hour slower in the Edenvale race and even my wife beat me.

I was gutted.

Tires, inflation, headwinds, temperature, humidity etc - all make a difference.

Thanks guys, will play around with some tires and some small changes. I have to say the bike feels incredible doing everything else, I'm shaving minutes of longer climbs like sterkies. Will give her some more time before I get too upset about it.

Thanks guys, will play around with some tires and some small changes. I have to say the bike feels incredible doing everything else, I'm shaving minutes of longer climbs like sterkies. Will give her some more time before I get too upset about it.

Check that your headset is set correctly without play. Check that your front wheel skewer is properly tightened. Check that your front tyre is fitted properly and the beads seated correctly without any wobble. Even the slightest fault in any of those three things will make the bike feel unstable on a fast descent, and be dangerous.

Check that your headset is set correctly without play. Check that your front wheel skewer is properly tightened. Check that your front tyre is fitted properly and the beads seated correctly without any wobble. Even the slightest fault in any of those three things will make the bike feel unstable on a fast descent, and be dangerous.

You can add a properly set up (didn't use the word "tightened" on purpose) headset to that list.

I'm on an older Merida 906 frame and I love how stable it is. Also, I find it quite comfy on longer rides.

Archived