What is worse on a greenbelt in Constantia?

Bicyclegear

In this photo there are two illegal activities happening.

1. Riding on this out-of-bounds yet frequently ridden greenbelt in Constantia, Cape Town.

2. Fouling of the green belt as a wall is built.

The question is how long will it take for a mountain bike tyre imprint to disappear as opposed to cement that will be present for years?

The problem is far more people using the greenbelts will moan and complain at the sight of a cyclist, while not "bat an eyelid" at a builders working very untidily and in turn polluting our cities open green spaces...

post-49768-0-88595100-1443510363_thumb.jpg

I have to agree. You will always find that building work always gets away with just about anything. Authorities will never do anything about construction work whether its illegal, hazardous etc.

This is being investigated. I think it is a bit of a generalisation to think that nothing is done in terms of construction.. Various sites along the greenbelt have been in the news for weeks, people are very upset as it not only is a mess but in some cases the housing perimeters also impinge on the greenbelt. 

BG, you know these trails will soon be officially opened to cycling.. you could however be looking at the restriction from one side missing that it may not be the cause for impact that limits riding, as much as safety when the hooligans (who have no shame to swear at other users) come out to play. If the area is to stay open to riding, .. well, you know what will be needed; respect for others while obeying the rules.

I wish us well.  :ph34r:

This is being investigated. I think it is a bit of a generalisation to think that nothing is done in terms of construction.. Various sites along the greenbelt have been in the news for weeks, people are very upset as it not only is a mess but in some cases the housing perimeters also impinge on the greenbelt. 

BG, you know these trails will soon be officially opened to cycling.. you could however be looking at the restriction from one side missing that it may not be the cause for impact that limits riding, as much as safety when the hooligans (who have no shame to swear at other users) come out to play. If the area is to stay open to riding, .. well, you know what will be needed; respect for others while obeying the rules.

I wish us well.  :ph34r:

I have to admit that I have started using the belts myself, but that whilst I have been using them over the past month, the reception has largely been a positive one. Greeting everyone, not behaving like a hooligan and actually slowing down when I encounter other users (especially dogs and horses) makes the experience that much better for everyone! 

Moral of the story - don't be a dick. 

But yes - this sort of haphazard construction is under investigation. You see the letters and reports in the community newspapers pretty often. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

In this photo there are two illegal activities happening.

1. Riding on this out-of-bounds yet frequently ridden greenbelt in Constantia, Cape Town.

2. Fouling of the green belt as a wall is built.

The question is how long will it take for a mountain bike tyre imprint to disappear as opposed to cement that will be present for years?

The problem is far more people using the greenbelts will moan and complain at the sight of a cyclist, while not "bat an eyelid" at a builders working very untidily and in turn polluting our cities open green spaces...

Hey BG, another thing. Why not report it, make a big stink to the official channels and papers and state clearly that as a cyclist you take great offence to poor control (mess) being shown at sites like these.

The construction contract would have been awarded by the owner, make it his problem if you have to, he should be able to impose a certain amount of control considering he holds the money.. Bet it will go a long way for other users to see that you as a cyclist share as much passion for the unspoilt areas as much as they do. 

Hey BG, another thing. Why not report it, make a big stink to the official channels and papers and state clearly that as a cyclist you take great offence to poor control (mess) being shown at sites like these.

The construction contract would have been awarded by the owner, make it his problem if you have to, he should be able to impose a certain amount of control considering he holds the money.. Bet it will go a long way for other users to see that you as a cyclist share as much passion for the unspoilt areas as much as they do. 

Something to consider, although worried about being vindicated for riding on the trails...

Something to consider, although worried about being vindicated for riding on the trails...

I suspect there are many people out there who have no idea that riding the route is at present not allowed.

Hands up how many people actually know where this process is in terms of being formalised.

I have recently been pleasantly surprized by how the City Of Cape Town dealt with complaints about noise and building disruption. They have the structures in place and they do follow up and act if needed. You just have to go through the right channels and follow the right procedures. So, go ahead and make the city work for you! :thumbup:

I have recently been pleasantly surprized by how the City Of Cape Town dealt with complaints about noise and building disruption. They have the structures in place and they do follow up and act if needed. You just have to go through the right channels and follow the right procedures. So, go ahead and make the city work for you! :thumbup:

That only works is some areas. In other areas you get ignored, and in some they take their time. Unfortunately the system is flawed. If only the urgency and determination to investigate, hand out fines and do somthing can be across the board.

That only works is some areas. In other areas you get ignored, and in some they take their time. Unfortunately the system is flawed. If only the urgency and determination to investigate, hand out fines and do somthing can be across the board.

I have to admit that it wasn't in Constantia, perhaps council is scared of those tough Constantia peeps?!http://d3u536mexp8na1.cloudfront.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif

I spotted this same site last weekend when I was, um, "exploring" the area for the first time.

Those trails (which I had previously not known about) are (would be :ph34r: ) pretty nice for cyclists  :whistling:

But those building works are seriously encroaching.

On a similar note, I noticed that 99% of the people out there are happy and friendly and if you slow right down (from your run, obviously... :ph34r: ) and pull to the side and say "hello/morning" you almost always get a smile and a greeting back. Mutual respect goes a long way.