Saddle advice needed for DC or endurance rides?

TCTG

Hi,

Need advice on a comfortable saddle to purchase for a Double century type ride? I find that riding with my Sella Italia SLR Carbonia is not doing it for me over distances of 150km.

I need to know based from experienced riders what works for them over long distances such as DC or Epic rides. I know there are MTB specific saddles but would you recommend a specific brand for road bikes. I am looking for recommendations on make, model and whether it is ideal for integrated seat posts (fit for purpose)?

Thank you in advance...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sella Italia SLR is a very good seat. It's narrow, 131mm, so if you have wider sit bones it may be problem.

Could however be fatigue if you not used to riding those distances or a bike setup issue.

Suggest you get your sit bones measured and change to wider saddle if needed as well a do a bike fit if you haven't already done one.

Other than that is a very personal thing so you'll get a thousand answers. Only advice is make sure the saddle fits your body.

Good luck

Edited by PJP2013

I would suggest going to see the guys out at freewheel in Kenilworth.

Get a proper bike from Chris, and he will recomend the best saddle for your sit bones. Was on a Selle Italia and the new saddle and bike has done amazing things to my riding comfort.

Won't mention the brand, haters gonna hate

Experience: 2x Double Centuries

Edited by TobeyT

Hi,

Need advice on a comfortable saddle to purchase for a Double century type ride? I find that riding with my Sella Italia SLR Carbonia is not doing it for me over distances of 150km.

I need to know based from experienced riders what works for them over long distances such as DC or Epic rides. I know there are MTB specific saddles but would you recommend a specific brand for road bikes. I am looking for recommendations on make, model and whether it is ideal for integrated seat posts (fit for purpose)?

Thank you in advance...

If you are going to be on the saddle for 6 hours the Sella Italia should be fine.

A friend of mine who is really good at the long stuff uses women specific saddles for seriously long races, he recons it makes the difference after 8+ hours in the saddle.

Your ass is an unique piece of your body, you'll get (for example) 10 guys hating a specific saddle or brand, and 1 loving it - does that mean to say that you should not try that saddle ? 

Same obviously applies other way around, with 10 folk having a good experience with a saddle and one or two complaining, does not mean this saddle could not be YOUR perfect match.

I ride a Specialized Epic, and love the bike, but changed the saddle after a few weeks as I could not get used to it, actually that is putting it nicely, I hated it - it killed my sit bones. Went back to the Fizik Gobi range, which I have been using all along, and am my old happy self. This whilst all the hype about Body Geometry, etc that has gone into the development of Specialized's saddles.

Just one example, but I am sure most riders will tell you that even some of so called better saddles, or those with good reputations, have not worked for them at all.

So my suggestion is to find out for yourself - the hard way....as said, on this forum, you'll get a lot of folk giving you good reviews on a certain saddle, but your saddle might be the one with the worst reviews.....you need to find out what your ass wants - and you have to find that the hard way.

Best of luck with the saddle sores ;-)

ps:  please just don't go and buy a Fizik Gobi M1 Carbon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqrSmJ9dJ8 ) based on what I said, but please let me know when you have, so I can tell you :  "see, I told you so !"  :drool:

Edited by GoFastORGoHome

I did DC on a Fizik Antares 00 (140g). You can't go wrong with even the standard Antares if you don't mind the 200g plus penalty. Have only heard good things of the Antares VS with pressure relief channel in a he middle. I had an SLR and found it very uncomfortable.

Get those sit bones measured

Then buy the right width saddle

Importantly, just a bit of padding

With a lot of padding, more friction is possible

It's ironic

I use an Antares VS with the relief zone in the middle

It's ironic

"Relief zone" that's so polite. Think I need to use that. Always referred to it as a tjommie gat.

Saddle shape is more than just width. It also depends on your riding style and flexibility. Fizik and spez use these well. Fizik have their animal chart - inflexible, larger riders, will be a "bull". Loads more width in the bull range and a lite more curve in the saddle. Relief zone depends on your preference. More flexible, skinny racing snakes are in the "snake" range, with the saddles being flat and narrow.

Spez use this same method to a degree, with your rising position and flexibility taken into account. But they go one step further by offering all thier deferent shape saddles in a variety of widths.

Heavier riders like me will experience saddle discomfort no matter what. There's just too much weight put on a concentrated area for you to be super comfy. My 65kg friend can sit on basically anything with the worlds crappest bibs and will not experience pain.

All the big saddle companies will have test saddles at their retail outlets. Go borrow a few from your lbs and get riding. Good luck!

It's ironic

"Relief zone" that's so polite. Think I need to use that. Always referred to it as a tjommie gat.

Dale could easily be the most polite Hubber by quite a way! :thumbup:

I went from the SLR to the SLR Flow (the one with the cut out in the middle). Made a massive difference wrt added comfort for long rides.

Sella Italia SLR is a very good seat. It's narrow, 131mm, so if you have wider sit bones it may be problem.

Could however be fatigue if you not used to riding those distances or a bike setup issue.

Suggest you get your sit bones measured and change to wider saddle if needed as well a do a bike fit if you haven't already done one.

Other than that is a very personal thing so you'll get a thousand answers. Only advice is make sure the saddle fits your body.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice... the one i have is 143 mm in width. i guess fatigue plays a role becasue it is not everyday that you ride this distances...unless you are a pro rider of course. Every incremental change helps in the end.