Stolen: Santa Cruz Bronson 2015 (Cape Town)

Will I Am

my 5 cents to the reaction to this rend of thievery:

I had my first bike stolen from in front of our garage in Homburg, a tiny sleepy town in Germany around 1990. I left it alone for 2min to fetch something I forget in the house. 

While I studied in a city called Aachen, not far from Cologne, the theft ratio of bikes of the average value of 100₡ was mind boggling. We used locks more expensive than the bikes. Some may know the name Kryptonite. These were standard. Friends of mine were competitive cyclists and had high level MTBs. Not in their dreams would they use these to commute let alone leave them in any form of rack, no matter what lock. Now whether you lived in Münster, Berlin or Amsterdam, it was just the same. And this was Europe where there were no 'poor' people.

Bottomline: Leaving a 5000US$ bike on a car rack is not clever. Nowhere. And especially not here.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Stolen: Santa Cruz Bronson 2015

When: 5 October 2015

Where: Cape Town, Western Cape

Parked my grey Jeep Wrangler in the Doctors Parking area at Cape Town Medi Clinic in Hof Street, Gardens just after 07h30 yesterday. I work there on a Monday in theatre (anaesthetist) and only got to my car around 15h00. My bike had been forcibly removed from the Thule bike rack despite 2 heavy duty cable combination locks, with part of the bike rack dismantled.

I have circulated a picture to various 2nd hand bike shops and Cash Crusaders in the Cape Town area.

Amazingly, the security guards saw nothing and the CCTV footage is useless (does not cover the doctors parking area).

Get further details about the incident in the Stolen Bikes section

that sucks man...hope you get it back