Stolen: Santa Cruz Bronson 2015 (Cape Town)

Will I Am

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the real moral of all this is ... leave your bike at home unless you are actually going out to ride on it and don't leave it on your bike rack if you have to stop somewhere other than to take it off to ride on it 

I leave mine inside the car, even if I travel with it on a bike rack.

Take the front wheel off and pop the bike upside down behind the front sets and leave it in the locked car.

I have been through the process of claiming for it, I think a lot of it has to do with luck to be honest, and your attitude and the investigator assigned to your case

Firstly they want your cell phone records, and who ever was with you(verify location) tracking your cell phone and calls made

Then they want possible CCTV of where your vehicle was standing last locked, or possibly where there was a pic of it locked prior to it getting knicked

Bank statements to make sure your funds are not indicating that you need cash

Inspection of the rack to check there is force able damage done

Quotes to replace

And a interview thar will make you feel guilty even if you have all of the above in order including the CCTV FOOTAGE

Then if they think you are not being honest I know a hubber who was submitted to a polygraph

Actually to answer your original question I found out during the process I had lots of luck involved in getting paid out

I personally would not leave it locked to my car again even if I could see the bike, I would break the bike down and carry it with me, that's how lucky I think I was

Also what most people do not know, unless their bike is sold by the insurers replacement shop, you not getting back what you claimed for

At the time cycle lab four ways were my insurers shop of choice, so walk in to the shop and see what's the closest make or model they have to your weapon you are insuring and see if you going to be happy, ;)

So if you got a expensive special once off YOU NOT GOING TO GET THAT REPLACED with the same unless it's in their shop, and as discussed many times before even color is not your choice,

Well that's me screwed :blush:

Well that's me screwed :blush:

same :)

I had the same as Dips when mine was swiped, but I wasn't subjected to a poly or asked to give bank statements. 

Still had a pretty intensive investigative q&a session though. 

I leave mine inside the car, even if I travel with it on a bike rack.

Take the front wheel off and pop the bike upside down behind the front sets and leave it in the locked car.

Unfortunately I have even heard of bikes inside cars being stolen - my friend that works at Stillwater had her Spez taken out of a locked car in Stellenbosch.

The ideal is that you should be able to leave your bike locked to a bikerack without worrying whether it might be stolen, but that is unfortunately not the reality in SA. Either have your bike where you can see it or locked up/away somewhere where only you have access to it. 

The ideal is that you should be able to leave your bike locked to a bikerack without worrying whether it might be stolen, but that is unfortunately not the reality in SA. Either have your bike where you can see it or locked up/away somewhere where only you have access to it. 

its not the reality anywhere really

Where'd my comment go?

I kinda agree...it was an opinion...some agree with it...some dont... and its not like you were attacking or being confrontational...come on Matt stop the beigism

I have been through the process of claiming for it, I think a lot of it has to do with luck to be honest, and your attitude and the investigator assigned to your case

Firstly they want your cell phone records, and who ever was with you(verify location) tracking your cell phone and calls made

Then they want possible CCTV of where your vehicle was standing last locked, or possibly where there was a pic of it locked prior to it getting knicked

Bank statements to make sure your funds are not indicating that you need cash

Inspection of the rack to check there is force able damage done

Quotes to replace

And a interview thar will make you feel guilty even if you have all of the above in order including the CCTV FOOTAGE

Then if they think you are not being honest I know a hubber who was submitted to a polygraph

Actually to answer your original question I found out during the process I had lots of luck involved in getting paid out

I personally would not leave it locked to my car again even if I could see the bike, I would break the bike down and carry it with me, that's how lucky I think I was

Also what most people do not know, unless their bike is sold by the insurers replacement shop, you not getting back what you claimed for

At the time cycle lab four ways were my insurers shop of choice, so walk in to the shop and see what's the closest make or model they have to your weapon you are insuring and see if you going to be happy, ;)

So if you got a expensive special once off YOU NOT GOING TO GET THAT REPLACED with the same unless it's in their shop, and as discussed many times before even color is not your choice,

Did they shine a torch up in to a dark place as well? 

I would be interested to hear who the insurers were and what the policy said wrt the investigation. Also the replacement as they should be willing to give you a cash sum. Like in another thread the policies vary greatly.

But if you passed that you must be an honest dude.

Interesting to understand whether you thought they were trying to catch you out or whether they were just being thorough.

Because that is very thorough.

It seems that the incidence of redistribution off Thule racks is also on the increase.

remember they probably have about 75% of the market, so it's not surprising to see bikes getting swiped off them. I'm not aware of anything flimsy/badly designed compared to the competition.

Kinda like why are so many giants for sale? Nothing wrong with them, just so many out there.

Back to the topic, feel your pain OP. Also had a one ridden bike stolen it my house this year granted not in the same league but had enjoyed building it up from a 2nd hand frame.

Hope this can have a good ending. Skollies don't deserve bikes like this (definition of skollie extends to okes feeding the market demand)

remember they probably have about 75% of the market, so it's not surprising to see bikes getting swiped off them. I'm not aware of anything flimsy/badly designed compared to the competition.

if a thief can steal a fortuner in under 1 minute - then a thule rack is like childs play. I think its naive to think that just because your bike is "locked' onto a rack and that rack is "locked" onto your tow hitch then its safe...without taking the sentiment away from the fact that the OP has lost a piece of art

Cannot blame the oke for leaving it on the rack, must he wheel it into the operating theatre?

I think it depends who you are insured with, friend had his stolen off a rack and they paid out in cash in full within 48 hours.

I think the fact that they are called "bike carriers" says it all.

Surely they would be called "bike carrier and storage rack" if they were made to keep a bike secure for an extended period of time.

It's sad that your prized possesion was taken but leaving it on a rack, even locked, for any extended period of time is not clever.

I am too scared to run into the garage shop to buy a powerade when my bike is locked on the back of my bakkie. Never go far enough that it is out of my suit in these instances.

I hope they recover it, if anything it will stand out.