Stolen: Santa Cruz Bronson 2015 (Cape Town)

Will I Am

I know of at least one fraudulent claim along these lines where someone claimed a Thule rack + 2 bikes were stolen off their vehicle (R200k+) but was then found at a later stage to still have the bikes when they tried to sell them. Makes you understand why they have to investigate unfortunately!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of at least one fraudulent claim along these lines where someone claimed a Thule rack + 2 bikes were stolen off their vehicle (R200k+) but was then found at a later stage to still have the bikes when they tried to sell them. Makes you understand why they have to investigate unfortunately!

And this, people, is why our insurrance premiums go up. FFS. 

I have been through the process of claiming for it, I think a lot of it has to do with luck to be honest, and your attitude and the investigator assigned to your case

Firstly they want your cell phone records, and who ever was with you(verify location) tracking your cell phone and calls made

Then they want possible CCTV of where your vehicle was standing last locked, or possibly where there was a pic of it locked prior to it getting knicked

Bank statements to make sure your funds are not indicating that you need cash

Inspection of the rack to check there is force able damage done

Quotes to replace

And a interview thar will make you feel guilty even if you have all of the above in order including the CCTV FOOTAGE

Then if they think you are not being honest I know a hubber who was submitted to a polygraph

Actually to answer your original question I found out during the process I had lots of luck involved in getting paid out

I personally would not leave it locked to my car again even if I could see the bike, I would break the bike down and carry it with me, that's how lucky I think I was

Also what most people do not know, unless their bike is sold by the insurers replacement shop, you not getting back what you claimed for

At the time cycle lab four ways were my insurers shop of choice, so walk in to the shop and see what's the closest make or model they have to your weapon you are insuring and see if you going to be happy, ;)

So if you got a expensive special once off YOU NOT GOING TO GET THAT REPLACED with the same unless it's in their shop, and as discussed many times before even color is not your choice,

Panel van for the win. My bikes sit safely in the van, mounted (via through axles) to racks. Plus the van is a French brand so no-one wants to steal it :lol:

As for replacing what one had. I haven't claimed for a stolen bike, but I have claimed for a cracked frame. I took the bike to Cycle Lab for assessment (because they were affiliated with my insurer). They said it needed replacing and offered me some equivalents they had in stock. It was a HD frame so their selection was limited to GT and KTM. They didn't stock the brand I had (Morewood).

Fortunately for me they did do business with Rush Sports (who were the Morewood Agents at the time). they quoted CL on a frame. Insurance paid them.

BUT I had another plan in mind. Omnico (Obike) had a very good deal on a complete (old stock) AM bike. Something like 60% off. And because Omnico will deliver to any shop it deals with, I simply bought the bike directly from them (so CL didn't get to mark it up) and told Omnico to collect the money from CL. I had to pay in like R400 difference between my pay out and the bike's price.

So yeah, if the shop says "you have to pick something we sell", don't take that as the law.

I've also had a case where the LBS quoted a huge amount for the repair of a rear wheel. So I told the insurer I could do it for far less. (by supplying 2 quotes from other shops). They then paid me direct and the amount was actually enough to cover an entire NEW (not jst rebuilt) rear wheel from CRC.

And this, people, is why our insurrance premiums go up. FFS. 

Yep, and we are always quick to finger the insurers as the bad guys, but it's people like this that spoil things for everybody...

The cynic in me sometimes wonders if some people deliberately leave their bikes unlocked to get a nice insurance payout to upgrade their bikes... (not referring to any specific incident on this thread - just to be clear...)

Did they shine a torch up in to a dark place as well? 

I would be interested to hear who the insurers were and what the policy said wrt the investigation. Also the replacement as they should be willing to give you a cash sum. Like in another thread the policies vary greatly.

But if you passed that you must be an honest dude.

Interesting to understand whether you thought they were trying to catch you out or whether they were just being thorough.

Because that is very thorough.

Im surprised he passed, Dips sounds dodgy as heck :P

Hope you get your bike back mate.

The Thule locks are mere ornaments. I broke a key, in the towbar lock. The youngster at the builders warehouse locksmith had the whole rack off, in a matter of seconds.... The young gent had about 3 hours & 7 minutes experience, in the locksmith trade.

We live in tough times, and the bikes are just too tempting, sitting on the back of vehicles.

That & the fact that the punishment; if the perp is caught, doesn't fit the crime.

Yep, and we are always quick to finger the insurers as the bad guys, but it's people like this that spoil things for everybody...

The cynic in me sometimes wonders if some people deliberately leave their bikes unlocked to get a nice insurance payout to upgrade their bikes... (not referring to any specific incident on this thread - just to be clear...)

I know of someone who did just that, they saw absolutely no problem with it. Easiest way for them to upgrade from 26 to 29.

I know of someone who did just that, they saw absolutely no problem with it. Easiest way for them to upgrade from 26 to 29.

that's really bad karma man and unfortunately way too few people believe lying to their insurance is bad karma :mellow:

but in fairness guys and gals this thread is going sideways and the poor OP lost his bike totally due to bloody thieves (and a slightly untheftproof bike carrier ) and for no other reason :ph34r:

maybe all this belongs on a thread about bike insurance :whistling:

Edited by velomonatiCT

same :)

I had the same as Dips when mine was swiped, but I wasn't subjected to a poly or asked to give bank statements. 

Still had a pretty intensive investigative q&a session though. 

Damn, relook at the insurance company. Mine never had any issues. But maybe cause I broke my frame compared to you guys being mugged.

Also, security must be involved in someway. How did the thieves know that the cameras are not covering that part of the car park.

The cynic in me sometimes wonders if some people deliberately leave their bikes unlocked to get a nice insurance payout to upgrade their bikes...

Well, there have been a thread or two right here on the Bikehub of people who have been looking for advice on selecting a fancy bike for their insurance company to buy them after their old obsolete entry level clunker got "stolen".

Cannot blame the oke for leaving it on the rack, must he wheel it into the operating theatre?

I think it depends who you are insured with, friend had his stolen off a rack and they paid out in cash in full within 48 hours.

Umm...actually, yes he should have! We had coffee after our ride this morning and the shop wouldnt allow our bikes to be right next to us. I pointed out just how quickly someone could jump on and ride away since the  bikes had to be left outside over a railing from where we were sitting. That is the extent of my paranoia.

Insurance premiums keep rising and it would be great if we could all be a little more forward thinking about protecting our two-wheeled kids, saving the rest of the cycling community money in the process.

Did they shine a torch up in to a dark place as well? 

I would be interested to hear who the insurers were and what the policy said wrt the investigation. Also the replacement as they should be willing to give you a cash sum. Like in another thread the policies vary greatly.

But if you passed that you must be an honest dude.

Interesting to understand whether you thought they were trying to catch you out or whether they were just being thorough.

Because that is very thorough.

i was paid out the problem was 2 things the time the theft happened it was dark and parked at a factory,,,luckily there was cctv, and the fact that the bike was a niner belt drive with a bogus paint job and  and and so it wasnt a off the rack type bike so there was a cash payout, im just saying its maybe easier to ask for cash to try build a special build if your bank account is not in over draft and your cards are maxed, but they did want to check my financial position ,,, im not saying they went over board im just saying dont get clever,,,,too many people do thats why the innocent people feel like criminals when we claim, 

I think the biggest turning point for me getting my payout when the guy from cycle lab phoned and asked what bike do they need to replace, I started explainging what was taken and he answered" ahhh no just dont tell me its the martini niner on the hub ???"   :) he then said ill phone your insurer we simply cannot replace it

people should read the fine print as said above your Santa Cruz can quickly become a Giant if you know what i mean

sorry last high jack

I just sold my Santa Cruz, and my Ritchey will be going soon, if I buy any bike that is not mass market (something from cycle lab) I personally would not insure it, it simply makes no sense paying a fixed amount with the thought you getting your equal stead back and you wont, either carry the insurance yourself or be happy with buying that level of bike,,