Design Fault on Shimano XT Shadow Tech model RD-M781-SGS Rear Derrailleur

AngusC

Recently bought a Silverback Slade 2 27.5 and im loving it! One thing that bothers me is a grinding noise that comes from the rear end of the bike. So I put it on my service rack and took a closer look, to find out that there is a small plate on the rear Derrailleu which the chain rubs harshly on when I turn the cranks. Not sure if the chain is too big for the Derrailleur or if it is not set correctly

Anyone have a 2014 Silverback Slade 2 and knows anything about this?

Thanks

Angaton

If the shop assembled it then ask them for a new derailleur and chain as it's probably scratched your shiny new derailleur! 

Sounds like chain was installed wrong and should run the other side of that spacer plate.

Break the chain and reroute

100% :thumbup:

Picture would help, to be 110% sure.

Agreed on the "wrong side of the L bend" theory. I love how its a design fault - like a trillion dollars of r&d and about a sillybillion rd's sold would allow that....

The design fault is that it allows you to install it wrong. A good design would not allow the uneducated mechanic the chance to get it wrong.

The design fault is that it allows you to install it wrong. A good design would not allow the uneducated mechanic the chance to get it wrong.

There is inadequate design and then there is user error. I think this falls to the latter, much like this clip

http://youtu.be/Xiwh5snq254

As an engineer this attitude is one of my pet peeves. "Having" to design for someone who is too lazy to read the manual, not qualified to work on the part, or too stupid to work it out.

What you're essentially asking for in this exact instance is for the Shimano engineer to make a compromise on the 50 hours of functionality (1000km on a chain at 20km/h) such that an uneducated/lazy idiot can do the 2 second job of threading the chain properly. Remember that after he put your chain on he should have run through the gears to check the shifting as well, so if he did get it wrong he could have taken another 30 seconds to refit the chain.

Remember also that XT is a performance part. You pay a premium for that. And now you want to compromise that additional performance for the sake of the untrained mechanic's ego?

"Do it properly and it will work well", not "do it and it will work".

As an engineer this attitude is one of my pet peeves. "Having" to design for someone who is too lazy to read the manual, not qualified to work on the part, or too stupid to work it out.

What you're essentially asking for in this exact instance is for the Shimano engineer to make a compromise on the 50 hours of functionality (1000km on a chain at 20km/h) such that an uneducated/lazy idiot can do the 2 second job of threading the chain properly. Remember that after he put your chain on he should have run through the gears to check the shifting as well, so if he did get it wrong he could have taken another 30 seconds to refit the chain.

Remember also that XT is a performance part. You pay a premium for that. And now you want to compromise that additional performance for the sake of the untrained mechanic's ego?

Dont worry its a software engineers pet peeve too, only difference is we have to cater for the unwashed cretins who end up using the software.

No, designers should not have to compensate for stupid people. 

Next you will be telling me a quick release is faulty if it can get caught in your disc brake. 

These stupid people are the reason we have warnings on fan belts. "MAKE SURE TO SHUT MOTOR OFF BEFORE CHANGING FAN BELT"

Sorry to go a bit off topic, madbradd which engineering discipline are you qualified for? I honestly never thought that there would be engineers on the bike hub. My materials science lecturer says he's done cycling up until last year which he just doesn't look like a person who cycled.

My rear derailleur gets the this design fault every now and then when I do a lame-ass chain fitting.   :devil:  :nuke:

No, designers should not have to compensate for stupid people.

Next you will be telling me a quick release is faulty if it can get caught in your disc brake.

These stupid people are the reason we have warnings on fan belts. "MAKE SURE TO SHUT MOTOR OFF BEFORE CHANGING FAN BELT"

And the fact that Americans sue someone willy nilly to compensate for their own stupidity attests to this as well. The Caution, Contents Hot stickers on hot chocolate and coffee is a case in point.

Stupid people are everywhere. And sadly, they reproduce...

Archived