PPA One Tonner

Sidmouth

Any advice for a first timer.

I’m seeded in D, and have never done over 120km in a day race, is it recommended to carry extra water/food, I would hate to leave a good bunch to stop for liquids, any suggestions,advice. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw somewhere a list of which water points will have snacks, but for the life of me I   cannot find it now, neither can I actually find where the water points (km) will be

Anyone maybe have link, PPA not replied after a month

I’m seeded in D, and have never done over 120km in a day race, is it recommended to carry extra water/food, I would hate to leave a good bunch to stop for liquids, any suggestions,advice. 

1. Get up Hels with your group.

2. Get to Riebeek Kasteel, make sure you have a few turns at the front.

3. Get up the Riebeek Kasteel climb.

4. Hang on to the end.

5. Have fun, its a great ride.

water points at 33km, 68.6km. 90.4km, 107.5km, 127.4km, 154km and 161km

I don't know about snacks though.

Thanks AZ

I posted on there FB page as well.. see if they reply

Sorry about HighJack

water points at 33km, 68.6km. 90.4km, 107.5km, 127.4km, 154km and 161km

I don't know about snacks though.

Im sure there will be water points, my concern is exiting a well organised group to get water, i don't think there is any mandatory stops and 2 water bottle may not be enough, do some carry a third in there jerseys or similar

Yeah make sure you carry a 3rd bottle in your back pocket.

Also carry 2 bannanas + 3 energy bars + a packet of jelly babies. Biltong or nuts are also great to snack on and you would of coz need 2 or 3 gels as well.

This should carry you thru the ride comfortably.

Yeah make sure you carry a 3rd bottle in your back pocket.

Also carry 2 bannanas + 3 energy bars + a packet of jelly babies. Biltong or nuts are also great to snack on and you would of coz need 2 or 3 gels as well.

This should carry you thru the ride comfortably.

Thru this ride and a couple more. :ph34r:

Expect to ride between 4h30 and 5h00 in D (if you stay with the bunch). So carry enough liquid with you for that.

If you are in D and stop at a waterpoint you WILL lose the group and not be able to catch them again.

Make sure you pitch early and are warmed up because we start with the Helz climb within the first km and it can be torture on cold legs, you don't want to lose your group within the first 2km of the race!

On the road to Riebeeck Kasteel (I disagree a bit with Donovan on this), wheelsuck and conserve your energy, it's usually downwind anyway - there will be enough eager beavers & DC training groups to pull up front.

Be wide awake at the Riebeeck Kasteel climb, a lot of people get dropped there from their groups but if you can hang on you are in the bus right till the last few climbs before Stellenbosch.

By all means, do help out in front once you get past Malmesbury and you still have enough in the legs, but don't try to be a hero, nobody is gonna thank you when they drop you from the group on those last few climbs.

I did this for the first time last year.  Also never over 120kms before.  Things start to get tense half way up the Riebeek Kasteel climb.  Make sure you stop and refuel at the top.  2 bottles and a snakc will be fine until then.  After that, at 121kms your legs start to say "WTF"!  At 140, they say "you gotta be kidding me"!  At 155, they stop taking to you completely and then you still have the final climb back to Stellenbosch.

As you approach the finish, you are sure, they have moved it an extar 10kms away! 

Also, don't forget that once you cross the finish line, you wtill have to ride another few kms to the end.  Sadist organisers!

Buuut!  You will feel like a champ once you getthe medal.

I have done this once before in 2013 - the windy one. Trying it again this year while hoping for less wind ...

Anybody checked forecasts for the weekend.?

*If you go into the red for too long, rather sit up and wait for the next group, as you might blow up way before the white chalk.

*Have a good feeding strategy and do not count on food in any form at the water stops.

Rather organise your own.

*No last-minute training. Rather get to the line fresh and not-so-fit, than somewhat tired and a-bit-fitter. 

*Save 65 percent of your effort for the final 70 kms into the South Easter.

*Sip regularly on your fluids and include electrolytes. Every year, there are riders sitting next to the road with or without a tree, looking dazed and dehydrated.

Skuburru, Dazshell, Dale, 

Brillant advice, thank you, will take a third water bottle and have one of those top tube bags {very Uncool} but in this case will fill with food, leaving a good group to refuel could be a disaster

Skuburru, Dazshell, Dale, 

Brillant advice, thank you, will take a third water bottle and have one of those top tube bags {very Uncool} but in this case will fill with food, leaving a good group to refuel could be a disaster

From my little experience. ... If you don't stop when your water is done, you will get dropped in any case with most likely cramps and very dehydrated.  It takes a lot to get back from that, Rather stop, drop back a bunch and continue "fresh" ... you might even from that 2 minute rest be fresh enough to catch bunch again if some others joined you for topup , so convince few others in group to stop with you ...

Also, don't forget that once you cross the finish line, you wtill have to ride another few kms to the end.  Sadist organisers!

I think it is 900m or so, not as bad as some of the fake finishes. My word how I hate fake finishes. 

For me it is still 8km to go after the finish, I stay in Welgevonden and cycle to and from the start. Have to admit the last time I did One Tonner I was so tempted to just turn right at the Welgevonden traffic lights and go home. Glad I didn't. It does make for a good warm up ride to the start. 

Anybody checked forecasts for the weekend.?

Seems it will be about 10km/h South East so we'll have to deal with that on the way back.

*Save 65 percent of your effort for the final 70 kms into the South Easter.

Very good point! With a strong wind it will take you about the same time to get from Malmesbury back to Stellenbosch (60km) as it did to get to Malmesbury in the first place (100km).

Archived