PPA One Tonner

Sidmouth

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any advice for a first timer.

I’m seeded in D, and have never done over 120km in a day race, is it recommended to carry extra water/food, I would hate to leave a good bunch to stop for liquids, any suggestions,advice. 

You've already got most of the useful info! Some extra bits:

Pick a strategy that you know works for your strengths. Do you recover well from a heavy effort? If yes, go hard at the climb to stay in the group, knowing you will recover in the group after the climb. If you know you feel flat after riding in the red for a full effort up a climb, than rather ride with the group at least half way up and then get a decent tempo spin going so that you at least crest with the front of the next group and ride with them. If you have not done the distance before don't get caught riding on your own. No point in doing a 10 plus kilometer stretch sitting 200m off the back of a group and 500m in front of another, working like a trojan and killing your legs. Rather drop back and wait for the next bunch. Yes, plan so that you have enough resources, food and otherwise to get through the ride, but don't beat yourself up when you need to change your plan in order to still have a strong ride, rather than just survive the whole event! This is not one where you will be able to time trial the whole distance and still ride a decent time! Make sure that if you do sit up to wait for the next group it does not catch you by surprise and blow past you without you being able to get on the back as the difference in speed is too great, especially if your legs are toast by then! 

Have a lekka ride dude! Enjoy the extra saddle time!

Seeding is poked from a few years of social riding... Anyone else starting in Q? Hoping for some strong guys here, but doubt the DC teams will drop back this far...

2 years ago I started in H (I think) with the DC team, the pace was slow up Helz I thought I was going to topple over sideways if I go any slower. If you haven't lost your climbing ability along with your seeding you will probably catch a few DC groups before you get to the bottom of Helz

2 years ago I started in H (I think) with the DC team, the pace was slow up Helz I thought I was going to topple over sideways if I go any slower. If you haven't lost your climbing ability along with your seeding you will probably catch a few DC groups before you get to the bottom of Helz

Was tempted to go hard up Helz and see if I can catch the group ahead, but the humility of bombing in the final 2kays of the Gun Run this past week is still very fresh.... Need legs to recover fast, while fitting in a few training rides still!

Will have to see what happens at the start. If the dynamics make it so that the group looks large and strong, will hang and ride with. If not, will try to see who is strong and cheer a couple of them on to get a decent paceline going and try work forwards! 

Enjoy your ride!

Where will the savage train start?

We have 5-6 in A then 5 in E I think.

Reason being is it ended up turning savage anyway every year and us dropping 6 or 7 riders anyway with 15km to go. So this way everyone gets a good hard ride this weekend.

Not so sure about the hard part, a good ride yes, but I don't go hard. I have like a pile of laundry I still need to to before next week and I suppose after such a long time in the saddle I'll want a lekker chop en dop so that means a braai too. To fit all that into a Sunday means I'll opt for a good easy ride. 

If you go flat out you might be tired afterwards you know.

A hot and not so windy day predicted for Sunday.

Windguru says SSE winds of around 5-8km/h and temps of around 30deg C midday.

Fair bit of cloud cover around also.

A hot and not so windy day predicted for Sunday.

Windguru says SSE winds of around 5-8km/h and temps of around 30deg C midday.

Fair bit of cloud cover around also.

I'll settle for that....and if you did the 2014 medallion tour de stellenbosch, heat will never be a challenge ever LOL :whistling:  :whistling:

I'll settle for that....and if you did the 2014 medallion tour de stellenbosch, heat will never be a challenge ever LOL :whistling:  :whistling:

True story

The only time I have ever crawled under a water point table, thrown up multiple times, crawled into a ball for a while then proceed to slip a lady in takkies on a giant anthem with Knobblies back to the finish making dying sounds behind her.

True story. I was sitting in the shade of the roadsigns on that R44 stretch, trying to get away from the beating Sun.

True story. I was sitting in the shade of the roadsigns on that R44 stretch, trying to get away from the beating Sun.

Hmmm.... I did not see you and I visited most shady spots on that road in GREAT detail.

Good times that day...

post-38519-0-03397300-1444828170_thumb.jpg

I finished strong because unlike the rest of the group I took it easy. They dropped me in Pniel, or a bit further I think, maybe Pnoes, but before the top I was on my own. Finished strong though.

Haha, I made myself as small as possible to find any shade possible. You might have missed me.

At the Waterpoint just before the Cheese Farm, I crawled in underneath a bakkie that was standing there. :blush:  Woofie had to drag me out by my feet, otherwise I might have just stayed there. :ph34r:

And to make matters worse, this was the one day I decided to dress up in my new, all black kit. Helmet the works.....

One of my less brilliant decisions, that.

Archived