PPA One Tonner

Sidmouth

Howsit guys. Let's take a min of silence to the ppa marshal who lost his life this morning. I saw him lying on the side of the pavement motionless. I don't know what happened. But I think these guys deserve more recognition.

So very sad. RIP

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if that rider in Group, between A-D is ok, I think he rode into the back of a Toyota Tazz, looked pretty bad.

He's a friend of mine. He's fine. The driver that he rode into was worse off.

Howsit guys. Let's take a min of silence to the ppa marshal who lost his life this morning. I saw him lying on the side of the pavement motionless. I don't know what happened. But I think these guys deserve more recognition.

Omw, is this the thinkbike Marshall who passed? Pls tell me what happened.

RIP

Thanks to the cycle direct guys they certainly done some good work pulling Group G for the 1st 60-70km

A huge thanks to Faizel and his CTG team, I lost my bunch at the 127km water point and went solo for about 15km before they picked me up.

overall a good race, made a novice mistake by filling up only one bottle at the 127km mark thinking it would take me to the end (seeing that 2x750ml got me to that point) and I didn't want to carry unnecessary weight. little did I know that before the 154km water point it was finished,nevertheless I pushed on as I didn't want to loose the bunch. luckily at 163km they had a stop which rescued me cause I could feel I was kla and started struggling a bit.

What a tough race! Started in J, Timefreight did a lot of work upfront,till R44, think they punctured. From there the group picked up some smaller groups and we were quite a large group heading up Botmaskloof. The climb split the group into several smaller ones. My team CT Giants worked to get some guys over more quickly. We regrouped at the Malmesbury water point, and it was a tough ride till the end.

Love the way the last few kickers simulate the DC.

Thanks for the mention we Time freight  had a mechanical, we tried to work our way back to the group but no luck with the wind.

We had a mixed day. Two of our guys managed to last to the end with A, one had a puncture after 35km and a team mate managed to help pace him back to B that came passed. Then he then popped after the chasing back.

The one in B managed to stay with the large part of B and finished well.

The rest ride in E and came in together. All in all, a good day of DC training.

freakin hell it was hard, started in the C-D bunch and managed to finish with them, the last 50km heading out Malmesbury was freakin hard, lots of surges... thought it was going to be a easy day in the saddle, certainly got more than I was expecting. 

just you..

I guess it is because my first one was 2013 so I probably expected a hellish ride.

Fortunately I had my share of bad luck before the ride even started! I cycled to the start from Welgevonden and had a flat tyre shortly after turning onto Helshoogte road. Managed to rip the valve off my one spare so I used my last spare tube and bomb just to get to the start. Luckily I left home early so there was enough time to get it sorted.

Thankfully I did not need any on the route. Stopped once to take a leak and once to fill my bottles. Smooth sailing. 

freakin hell it was hard, started in the C-D bunch and managed to finish with them, the last 50km heading out Malmesbury was freakin hard, lots of surges... thought it was going to be a easy day in the saddle, certainly got more than I was expecting. 

No Pansy, you didn't finish with the C-D bunch. You and all your buddies got dropped going up Helshoogte ;)

A word of advice - a 10 man breakaway might seem like a good idea from the top of Helshoogte, but in reality it's 165kms of hoping that there is just one more turn left in the legs.

I drank as much (2 bottles) on the 20km ride home afterwards as I did during the 170kms.

Lastly - we often think of the ThinkBike guys as those noisy motorbike riders who boss us around and keep going on about the white line. I've ridden with Az and the rest of the ThinkBike crew under their watchful eye for many years now, and so yesterday's accident is rather sad. These guys are genuinely concerned about our safety, and marshall bicycle races because they are good at it, and because they enjoy it. The cycling community lost someone yesterday (even though he rode bikes of another type) - his contribution to our safety will be sorely missed. RIP.

Glad the wind did not complicate things this time, had a great time and it was a lot easier than I remembered. I'd say this is pretty much the ideal extended funride :thumbup:

<rant on>

There are a few things I noticed that really is not on.

1) DC Teams - FIFO (this is not DC)

2) Littering - if I can stash my trash why can't you? If I had a big enough bag I'd put those who litter in it because they are trash and needs to be disposed of.

3) DC Teams - yes again - don't screw up the groups pace just because you want to regroup at the bottom of Helshoogte and then come blasting past on the wrong side of the white line a few KM later. This is not DC, fit in or ..... off.

4) Support vehicles - why so many? This ride is about you VS 100 miles. If you can't pull that off on your own then don't enter.

<rant off>

Thanks to all the marshals and traffic officials and PPA for making this possible. It won't take me two years to do this again, see you next year :clap:

Dude, just like you get to choose how you want to ride, guys that have come to ride together as a 'team' at a serviced race can do the same. You clearly have not attempted to ride on your limit in a functional paceline, that maintains a constant work rate, rather than surges and stops. It is rather difficult to get to a point where you know who is what strength unless you simulate it in race conditions. If you like riding on your own as much as you claim, push ahead or drop off the back. Why ride with a group of people if they wind you up as much as you've gone out of your way to admit?

Yes, thanks to everyone involved for a tough but good day out!

Edited by Tubehunter