Grease: not sold at cyclelab

slickandtyred

I was at Complete Cyclist the other day and needed brake pads. Surprised to find out they don't sell them. How do these shops service bikes if they don't stock the components/materials?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vaseline.....no more squeak

That might be for the squeak but I doubt it'll quieten down the squeal.... ;)

Problem with using normal grease on carbon seat post clamp etc is that the manufacturer sets the torque rating taking into account that carbon paste is used. Therefore with normal grease it has a different friction, therefore more force required to keep the item in place and therefore more likely to have to over tighten and damage the carbon. 

Agreed, but the grease itself - i were to smear grease onto a carbon component and leave it on a table - will not harm the carbon or resins used.

I have been to numerous "tech talks" by guys from Trek USA, Specialized etc and the consensus is that grease will not and cannot harm carbon on its own.

Yes I would recommend the use of carbon paste on parts that rely on friction to hold them in place as this allows an exact torque to be applied and there is no worry about the parts seizing together.

But to get back to the OP's topic, go to builder's, Midas, Game, Makro etc and you can buy more grease than you will ever use for a LOT less than you can buy a small tube of "cycle specific" grease for from any bike shop...

Example: I used to service bikes from home, a tub of grease as pictured above would last me about 2-3 months of solid work - 3-4 bikes per day...You don't need a lot to service a bike...

Go to any auto parts dealer and preferably get

marine grease

it tends to last longer in the wet - seems to be a bit more "sticky".

Agreed, but the grease itself - i were to smear grease onto a carbon component and leave it on a table - will not harm the carbon or resins used.

I have been to numerous "tech talks" by guys from Trek USA, Specialized etc and the consensus is that grease will not and cannot harm carbon on its own.

Yes I would recommend the use of carbon paste on parts that rely on friction to hold them in place as this allows an exact torque to be applied and there is no worry about the parts seizing together.

Agreed, grasses itself will not harm carbon.

Hi there

We have some White Lightning Crystal Grease for R369 for a 454g tub

mail me @ jason@buycycle.co.za and i can get it through to you.

Regards

Jason Hills

Buycycle

lol...I have to laugh

So you are shooting them down because they want to help you solve the creak(they are 100% correct, it could be anything from pedals, bolts, chainrings, post, saddle rails). Obviously this will come at a cost of a service. 

I say they did the right thing...

lol...I have to laugh

So you are shooting them down because they want to help you solve the creak(they are 100% correct, it could be anything from pedals, bolts, chainrings, post, saddle rails). Obviously this will come at a cost of a service. 

I agree with Rouxtjie here... I am no "big shop" lover at all but i reckon the guy at the store did exactly as he was supposed to... 

The salesman was an idiot.

If he was a good salesman, what he would have done was sold the OP what he requested, and suggested that if it doesn't fix the problem, he should bring the bike in for a service.

That way, the store gets an immediate sale, keeps a customer happy, doesn't get mentioned on the hub, and possibly gets workshop business at a later stage.

Sales 101. That lesson is free, if you want any more I will send my banking details.

Agree Falco...let the client feel he's boss, mess up the job/not solve the problem then bring the bike in...at least he'll have an overpriced tube/tub of grease on his shelf for later...

lol...I have to laugh

Really, so you walk into Tonneson motors and ask for a headlight bulb as yours has blown in your car. 

Salesman says, it could be old age but it could be a fault in the electrics or a faulty headlight assembly, bring the car in for a service we wont sell you the bulb.

Really, so you walk into Tonneson motors and ask for a headlight bulb as yours has blown in your car. 

Salesman says, it could be old age but it could be a fault in the electrics or a faulty headlight assembly, bring the car in for a service we wont sell you the bulb.

hardly apples and apples you comparing. Your analogy needs work. Some things are clear cut...blown light bulb, hole in tyre...

Some things require more in depth checks...creaks beings one, a car not starting being another....its a more apt comparison.  

Carbon "grease"/compound is only to stop the item slipping, normal grease will promote slipping if the interface between the parts is poor - seatpost. Normal grease cannot damage any component.

Untrue,

Greases using a polyester-base contain petroleum distillates which attack carbon resin. Most automotive greases are not a good idea on Carbon. Some manufacturers will refuse a warranty claim even is failure can be traced to such grease being used, for instance, on a seatpost.

Rather be safe guys.

I had the displeasure of trying to get a Alu seat post out of a carbon frame once, because the grease used fused the two together.

Archived