If movistar were not worried before they should be now. The weather is playing against the lone man take 1 or 2 min out of the leader up the climb.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happens may it just be exciting. And if the green Jersey pulls the yellow over the line today, I will either be screaming at the TV in shock and awe, or be horrified at how slow Chris is going!

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I think the sprint may have a different outcome today lol

I know we've been ripping into the tactics of Movistar (and in many respects, for good reason) and some have already written them off as a team.

They've put all their cards into week 3. Their team is mostly climbers with hardly anyone in there to protect Quintana in the flatlands except for Erviti. AC and Froome both have had very powerful classics guys to protect them there.

Movistar gambled, and to be honest, where I sit, it seems to me that the gamble has generally paid off for now. He's really not that far back at this stage.

They have come with some serious firepower for the mountains. To me, the strongest climbing team by far. Those guys are all supremely talented climbers and they will rip the legs off the front bunch when we get into the mountains, I'm sure of it.

We might just be eating a few slices of humble pie when we get into the Alps and Movistar takes everyone to the sword. Guys are writing Movistar off already, but they're not stupid. This isn't their first rodeo and their management team has decades of experience in grand tours (with multiple wins to their credit as well). Wait, their time is still coming.

If movistar were not worried before they should be now. The weather is playing against the lone man take 1 or 2 min out of the leader up the climb.

Agreed, a big threat for Quintana today.

And I'm sure they'd have pencilled in todays stage as one of their main targets before the Tour started, so it looks like it's backfired on them.

Like Gen has pointed out, Quick Step and Tinkoff have an excellent opportunity to use their flatland skills to take big chunks out of the others and position Dan-The-Man and Kreuziger in pole position onto the climb.

I know we've been ripping into the tactics of Movistar (and in many respects, for good reason) and some have already written them off as a team.

They've put all their cards into week 3. Their team is mostly climbers with hardly anyone in there to protect Quintana in the flatlands except for Erviti. AC and Froome both have had very powerful classics guys to protect them there.

Movistar gambled, and to be honest, where I sit, it seems to me that the gamble has generally paid off for now. He's really not that far back at this stage.

They have come with some serious firepower for the mountains. To me, the strongest climbing team by far. Those guys are all supremely talented climbers and they will rip the legs off the front bunch when we get into the mountains, I'm sure of it.

We might just be eating a few slices of humble pie when we get into the Alps and Movistar takes everyone to the sword. Guys are writing Movistar off already, but they're not stupid. This isn't their first rodeo and their management team has decades of experience in grand tours (with multiple wins to their credit as well). Wait, their time is still coming.

On the same breath we can say.. what effect will these 2 windy stages have on the climbers in Movistar

I am still stuck on the fact that they didn't bring at least 2 powerful Classics guys with. They know wind is an issue for the team.

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I think the sprint may have a different outcome today lol

If I remember the climb to the chalet is quite densely forested so I suspect if Sky belts the flats into the wind before the climb and puts Movistar into difficulty it could really be exciting.

The way I see it, should Movistar shred the other teams in the mountain, all Froome needs to do is sit on Quintanas wheel and stay there.  Won't be the first time that Froome was isolated from his team.

If I remember the climb to the chalet is quite densely forested so I suspect if Sky belts the flats into the wind before the climb and puts Movistar into difficulty it could really be exciting.

a lot of possibilities today hey.. 

i think some of the riders in position 9 - 15 will see a real opportunity to make up time .. Especially Purito.. Katusha really screwed him over yesterday.. they left him alone while hoping for Kristoff.  maybe not Bardet.. AG2R are also a bunch of lightweights  :ph34r:

RANK RIDER RIDER NO. TEAM TIMES GAP

1. GBRFROOME Christopher 1 TEAM SKY 52h 34' 37''   2. GBRYATES Adam 209 ORICA-BIKEEXCHANGE 52h 35' 05'' + 00' 28'' 3. IRLMARTIN Daniel 184 ETIXX-QUICK STEP 52h 35' 08'' + 00' 31'' 4. COLQUINTANA Nairo 11 MOVISTAR TEAM 52h 35' 12'' + 00' 35'' 5. NEDMOLLEMA Bauke 61 TREK - SEGAFREDO 52h 35' 33'' + 00' 56'' 6. FRABARDET Romain 41 AG2R LA MONDIALE 52h 35' 33'' + 00' 56'' 7. COLHENAO Sergio Luis 2 TEAM SKY 52h 35' 33'' + 00' 56'' 8. ESPVALVERDE Alejandro 12 MOVISTAR TEAM 52h 35' 50'' + 01' 13'' 9. USAVAN GARDEREN Tejay 99 BMC RACING TEAM 52h 35' 50'' + 01' 13'' 10. CZEKREUZIGER Roman 36 TINKOFF 52h 36' 05'' + 01' 28'' 11. ITAARU Fabio 21 ASTANA PRO TEAM 52h 36' 12'' + 01' 35'' 12. ESPRODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin 141 TEAM KATUSHA 52h 36' 29'' + 01' 52'' 13. RSAMEINTJES Louis 157 LAMPRE - MERIDA 52h 36' 47'' + 02' 10'' 14. AUSPORTE Richie 91 BMC RACING TEAM 52h 36' 59'' + 02' 22'' 15. FRABARGUIL WARREN 111 TEAM GIANT-ALPECIN 52h 37' 40'' + 03' 03''

a lot of possibilities today hey..

i think some of the riders in position 9 - 15 will see a real opportunity to make up time .. Especially Purito.. Katusha really screwed him over yesterday.. they left him alone while hoping for Kristoff. maybe not Bardet.. AG2R are also a bunch of lightweights :ph34r:

RANK RIDER RIDER NO. TEAM TIMES GAP

1. GBRFROOME Christopher 1 TEAM SKY 52h 34' 37'' 2. GBRYATES Adam 209 ORICA-BIKEEXCHANGE 52h 35' 05'' + 00' 28'' 3. IRLMARTIN Daniel 184 ETIXX-QUICK STEP 52h 35' 08'' + 00' 31'' 4. COLQUINTANA Nairo 11 MOVISTAR TEAM 52h 35' 12'' + 00' 35'' 5. NEDMOLLEMA Bauke 61 TREK - SEGAFREDO 52h 35' 33'' + 00' 56'' 6. FRABARDET Romain 41 AG2R LA MONDIALE 52h 35' 33'' + 00' 56'' 7. COLHENAO Sergio Luis 2 TEAM SKY 52h 35' 33'' + 00' 56'' 8. ESPVALVERDE Alejandro 12 MOVISTAR TEAM 52h 35' 50'' + 01' 13'' 9. USAVAN GARDEREN Tejay 99 BMC RACING TEAM 52h 35' 50'' + 01' 13'' 10. CZEKREUZIGER Roman 36 TINKOFF 52h 36' 05'' + 01' 28'' 11. ITAARU Fabio 21 ASTANA PRO TEAM 52h 36' 12'' + 01' 35'' 12. ESPRODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin 141 TEAM KATUSHA 52h 36' 29'' + 01' 52'' 13. RSAMEINTJES Louis 157 LAMPRE - MERIDA 52h 36' 47'' + 02' 10'' 14. AUSPORTE Richie 91 BMC RACING TEAM 52h 36' 59'' + 02' 22'' 15. FRABARGUIL WARREN 111 TEAM GIANT-ALPECIN 52h 37' 40'' + 03' 03''

Dave B wanders up to Matt White and says 'Would be nice if Adam could be further ahead after today, hey?'. Let's use Turbo Durbo, Stannard, Rowe, G on the run in... Destroy everyone. Then let the Englishes follow our climbers at tempo'. If only.

But seriously though.. what the hell is going on at BMC.... Porte and TJ seem to each have a buddy or 2 looking after each of them and GVA is just doing his own thing.

Heard another Philism yesterday.  Dis-organised Chaos.

What CF has done yesterday is too force NQ to attack today, even if NQ wasn't planning to attack.  So, NQ will attack today, but whatever time he takes out of CF today, CF will take back double tomorrow in the ITT, since NQ's legs will feel today's attack in his TT.

I think we will see a lot of Sagan working at the front for his team today.. he always pays  them back for work done..a real team player that one.

We're driving through France today returning to Spain from a quick trip to the UK. We are now where the tour was four days ago and the weather is filthy. Thunderstorms, rain, wind, aqua-planing. Will be glad to get through the Pyrenees later and home!

Its too early to tell, Quintana always aims for the last week and has to hope that Froome hasnt put in too much time on him to claw back.

I just wish Quintana had some form of personality or even a little bit of character to do some attacks or make it slightly exciting.

Heard another Philism yesterday.  Dis-organised Chaos.

What CF has done yesterday is too force NQ to attack today, even if NQ wasn't planning to attack.  So, NQ will attack today, but whatever time he takes out of CF today, CF will take back double tomorrow in the ITT, since NQ's legs will feel today's attack in his TT.

it's 35 seconds.. Nairo may not do anything today.. and remember he has improved a hell of a lot in the ITT... the course tomorrow isn't flat.

Archived