Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

My first Epic also, and can say done and dusted! ! !

Was freaky tough, never thought theyll be able to get so much single track, hills, technical rides.

The food was crap, could not even get a second scoop of meat or something. JoBerg2C food RULE!!

For the price i expected way more, and was very disappointed!!

Do it again, no dont think so, not value for money.

Can do 2 x big races and have money to spare.

I finished my ride on a 1 x 10. 30 front and 11 with 40 expander at back. Rode all except where riders in front of me pushed.

Had no mechanical issues, so very happy about it

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My third and my boet's seventh......2016 was a tough one. Having done all the SA, Lesotho, swazi and Kenya rides Epic's food is the worst by some margin. We stayed in our caravan and had microwave Woolies chow.

Chuffed to have completed it on my steel, fully rigid SS bike for the second year

Will I go back for 2017, definitely !

My third and my boet's seventh......2016 was a tough one. Having done all the SA, Lesotho, swazi and Kenya rides Epic's food is the worst by some margin. We stayed in our caravan and had microwave Woolies chow.

Chuffed to have completed it on my steel, fully rigid SS bike for the second year

Will I go back for 2017, definitely !

Well done. You're a nutcase.

Just wanna know, anyone have accurate info on how long +- it takes to fully recover from the epic, im 29 if that helps. Thnx

Would be great to know, I cycled 80km on Friday, 75km on Monday, 40km last night and I'm feeling great, getting ready for 36One in 3 weeks time, will be resting next 2 weeks due to not being home though

Just wanna know, anyone have accurate info on how long +- it takes to fully recover from the epic, im 29 if that helps. Thnx

Physically or mentally?

Would be great to know, I cycled 80km on Friday, 75km on Monday, 40km last night and I'm feeling great, getting ready for 36One in 3 weeks time, will be resting next 2 weeks due to not being home though

geez man, awesome, yeah i just dont want to start training and go backwards you know... my brother is also doing the 360, i think its gonna be AWESOME!

Physically or mentally?

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Made my day this....

Did I mention R795.00 for a chain!!!

Pfft - mountain bikers... ;)

post-275-0-99019100-1459344784_thumb.jpg

On a related note, I got a bill from our mechanics after my last Epic where they wanted to charge me for a new rear derailleur. Firstly, I had never asked them to replace the derailleur, and secondly, they hadn't actually replaced the derailleur, as there were still tool marks on it from when I had clumsily self installed it...

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Made my day this....

Very valid point though. For me the mental recovery can be a long and hard process. After all the build up, hype and training. There is suddenly nothing. This can be difficult to overcome and something I battle with after a big event.

Scary story from a pal of mine. He decided he didn't need a service package and just had his bike washed and lubed after each stage. His bije worked 100% everyday. His team mate had a service package and every morning they would retune the gears after the service mechanics had dealt with it. They kept resetting the xtr rear derailleur too close to the 40T sprocket . Every morning they would reset the b screw to a position where the upper pulley didn't foul the sprocket.

My first epic...

It was as hard as many people make it out to be. Fortunately, i was prepared!

IMO the hardest part was getting up each morning feeling the aches and pains and knowing you have to do it all again.

The route was much better and more fun than expected. Really great tracks included each day with some serious climbs along the way. Other than stages 3 & 7, not many sandy sections and long district roads (this is what i pictured most of the Epic was about).

Stayed in a motor home so comfort wasn't an issue.  :thumbup:

Food was good enough for me but got a bit monotonous by the last 2 nights. 

Overall a great experience and glad to tick off the Epic box.

Finished with a 1x11 (32T / 11-42) HT.

Still think it is not great value for money... also kudos to the other Safas for being the only friendly people around!   :whistling:

Fitted chain in November 2015. rode W2W, NOvember, December, Attakwas, 24HR, February.

= 2600km .

Same chain.

You was ripped.

That's good mileage for sure....what chain you using?

Archived