Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

Ok a question to the guys who rode this year: If the event were to offer sone sort of 'dnf-insurance' would you have taken it upon entering. Lets say the event have you the option to pay an additional <say> R 12 000 non refundable insurance incase you dnf to get another shot in 2017 for no additional charge? Entry non-transferable, deposit non-refundable?

In concept, yes. But, not at that price. The problem is scale and risk spread which you would likely not get... So it might just be too expensive as a result.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok a question to the guys who rode this year: If the event were to offer sone sort of 'dnf-insurance' would you have taken it upon entering. Lets say the event have you the option to pay an additional <say> R 12 000 non refundable insurance incase you dnf to get another shot in 2017 for no additional charge? Entry non-transferable, deposit non-refundable?

Cool - then instead of doing the dreadful 7th stage to Meerendal I just cycle home, DNF and do a proper race the next year, for free.. ;-)

Can I take another 12k insurance the next year again? 

Cool - then instead of doing the dreadful 7th stage to Meerendal I just cycle home, DNF and do a proper race the next year, for free.. ;-)

Can I take another 12k insurance the next year again?

Enter a sliding scale... Dnf up to st3 - no excess. R 2000 excess per stage thereafter.

I don't think there is a target group for that.

People who could fork out another 12k+ most likely can also afford another full entry the next year.

I really would like to see the reasons for DNF in this year's Epic.

How many of them can be attributed to being under-prepared? Sickness? Racing beyond your capabilities?

I don't think there is a target group for that.

People who could fork out another 12k+ most likely can also afford another full entry the next year.

I really would like to see the reasons for DNF in this year's Epic.

How many of them can be attributed to being under-prepared? Sickness? Racing beyond your capabilities?

Many suffered dehydration, heat exhaustion and quite a few broken bones.

Many suffered dehydration, heat exhaustion and quite a few broken bones.

So how do you categorize dehydration and heat exhaustion?

Is that something you can avoid with more training?

I'm not sure extra training would help. Maybe some heat conditioning. A bit of a better hydration strategy? It was flippen hot for those first few days. I trained enough. Trust me. And I was cramping for Stage 1 from dehydration.

I'm not sure extra training would help. Maybe some heat conditioning. A bit of a better hydration strategy? It was flippen hot for those first few days. I trained enough. Trust me. And I was cramping for Stage 1 from dehydration.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was stage 3 when we ran out of water before water point 3.

I was just thinking if that happens to us then the backmarkers are in a lot of trouble on that day.

That was definitely a homemade mistake by the race organizers.

In my case had no issues with hydration, but extra training would allays help.. I'm a dedicated backmarker so got to see a few struggling riders.

For some reason I think  a lot of people confuse high energy drinks with hydration  (my own partner this Epic made a silly mistake).. This is especially in the first couple of days. After that, fatigue kicks in, especially for those backmarker who went out like racing snakes initially.

My approach is totally dumb, but I probably get best bang for my bucks with the hours spent in the saddle. In short, take the number of hours per stage, take 30 minutes to an hour off for water stops and mechanicals, and work out the average speed required with remaining time.. You generally only have to ride between 11 and 12 kays per hour. I also ride waterpoint to waterpoint to break the day up and make sure bottles and backpack are always filled at each stop. There's also always streams along the way if you need a top - up.  Some days this way of riding doesn't always work, and I cut it a bit fine... 

The only issue with this approach is that your backside might be a little sore by the end of the week and you walk like John Wayne for a bit.

Tom

one example of probable dehydration and exhaustion was on the Bains Kloof stage, where an international team came past us like we were looking for parking, on the tarred pass, with the weaker partner holding onto the stringers jersey. It was about 35 degrees through the pass.

The next day the stronger partner didn't make the start line, and the other partner fell out a stage or two later.

Never pass a water point without drinking at least a liter of something, eating something and leaving with fresh, full, bottles is an absolute necessity. I didn't do that at one water point on stage 4 as it was a cooler day, and half an hour later realized I had a problem. Fortunately my partner had enough food for both of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, did anyone take that video option with Sportograf, worth it?

I did. It's quite cool. Use their gpx function to find yourself helps get more videos with you in them.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I did. It's quite cool. Use their gpx function to find yourself helps get more videos with you in them.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I also took that video option and did not use the gpx function to get more content of myself in so I'am actually disappointed with my video :(  I probably can't do it afterwards and let them send me a new one...

I tried the gpx option,  but it didn't work, so resorted to a manual search.

Being a backmarker has its benefits,  all I had to do was go to the second to last page of each stage of photos and they were there!

Tom

Archived