Fuel Per Race

I've now narrowed mine down to ( for a 100km+ race)

Scramble eggs, banana and double cream yogurt with honey, in the morning.

1 banana or jungle bar before the start.

3 roctane gels taken in 45 minute intervals after the 1st hour (when aiming for around 3:30)

2 bonkbuster bars (some serious calaries in those)

1 water

1 roctane race mix

Takes me to the finish. I usually have a spare jungle bar (if I had the banana at the start ) for emergencies.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I make myself a Futurelife Smart food Choc Flavour smoothy.

80g Futurelife

140g Banana

10g Peanut Butter

1 Shot Espresso

200ml Milk

and Crushed Ice.

Throw everything together blend and drink. I use it before a race and on my 180km+ training rides. Then I just snack on a Nougat and drink Rehydrate Sport.

Works like a charm for me. :thumbup:

Im a maargat--and really struggle to eat on the bike on shorter days it is not a problem ,but on 4 hour plus I struggle for energy.

I dont enjoy the taste of Gu but try to eat some sort of bar while riding,the tables is usally a crazy affair with shoving in whatever.

Which bar would be the easiest to open and consume -rough mounty riding?

Im a maargat--and really struggle to eat on the bike on shorter days it is not a problem ,but on 4 hour plus I struggle for energy.

I dont enjoy the taste of Gu but try to eat some sort of bar while riding,the tables is usally a crazy affair with shoving in whatever.

Which bar would be the easiest to open and consume -rough mounty riding?

Try the Llama Bars, easy to chew, very tasty...

or

Cut some PVMs into little bite sized chunks and just pop those in.

Lets not forget that some of us weigh almost double what others of us do and take more than twice as long to complete the same race. In these cases more time spent at high individual effort out on the same course can impact ones nutrition needs quite a lot.

Or burn twice as many calories to complete in the same time as those who are half the weight....?

Or burn twice as many calories to complete in the same time as those who are half the weight....?

Precisely [emoji6]

Was wondering the same thing.

You guys can sure eat a lot on a ride!!!  :blush:  :w00t:

100km I do one bottle water and one bottle USN Epic pro.

Before the ride I eat 50g Futurelife.

That is it.

Maybe that is why I suffer so much in the races?  :ph34r:  :clap:

So you are telling us in a Nice way we are just k@k unfit.

Thanks for all the info, I also battled during the Satelite classic Saturday and wanted to ask the same type of question to all the pros on theHub

So you are telling us in a Nice way we are just k@k unfit.

Maybe not unfit but I come from the "old school" type of riding where you had water and coke and that was it.  And I did not particularly loved coke. 

And as the years passed and more and more co. came to the market and marketing etc., I saw people started used the weirdest stuff and LOTS of it. 

Gels are my personal pet peeve.  Bag full of sugar....then you ride 100km...that is what.....3hours (for a fit person)

You pump THOUSANDS of kj in you and don't put that much out......

Marketing.

So just be careful not to OVER supplement or OVER hydrate

(I used to do 6 liters of water over 100km......nothing good came from that)

Maybe not unfit but I come from the "old school" type of riding where you had water and coke and that was it.  And I did not particularly loved coke. 

And as the years passed and more and more co. came to the market and marketing etc., I saw people started used the weirdest stuff and LOTS of it. 

Gels are my personal pet peeve.  Bag full of sugar....then you ride 100km...that is what.....3hours (for a fit person)

Marketing.

Just think how fast you will ride if you eat more.... hehe

[quote name="Spinnekop" post="2735918" timestamp="144543490

Thats wild - and potentially hazardous to your health...

Google Hyponatremia - or read Tim Noakes book Waterlogged fkr the full story written in layman's terms.

This is my "EPO":

1)Lekke Dik strong cuppa coffee when I wake up (+- 2hrs before event)

2)A bowl of Futurelife Choc + 1 banana

3)Banana just before start

4)2x750ml Electrolyte drinks ONLY on the bike

5)5x6cm cut pieces of Droëwors in my back pocket + 2 Vooma gels Choc flvr

This gets me through a 65-85km MTB race with 1500-2000m ascend, in good enough shape to still tell my mom at the finish line, "Woman,...you, gave birth to an Immortal"...

Marketing.

Not arguing but for 3,500 cal for a race, that equated to 14,600 kj.....Just saying....

Hammer products spokesman Steve Born has an excellent video on YouTube about fueling. He naturally basis his advise on Hammer product, feel free to sub in your own equivalent of what he is trying to message across.

His most controversial piece of his advise? Don't eat within three hours up to and before a race. He also doesn't believe in carbo loading.

Hammer products spokesman Steve Born has an excellent video on YouTube about fueling. He naturally basis his advise on Hammer product, feel free to sub in your own equivalent of what he is trying to message across.

His most controversial piece of his advise? Don't eat within three hours up to and before a race. He also doesn't believe in carbo loading.

Is is wrong on the eating before a race - but the what and how much are important - carbo loading IS effective for 1 day races over 2 hours long - day 2 of a multi day event and it is of questionable value if at all.