[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

I'd like to get some race reports please, otherwise I'm going to put in a complaint... not sure who to

Double Like !!!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerald, one gripe I have is riders jumping their seeding pens. I started in CL and there were 2 riders with GL on their numbers and one on a MTB that almost caused an accident in the narrowing of the start for the mats, which caused an instant gap between the front bunch of CL and the back riders, who then had to close the gap from the start. Also passed some riders on the route who also had FL on their numbers and were caught in the first 30kms. Apart from DQ is there anything else to deter this?

Otherwise a good event, well marshalled even in the rain. I commend them to keep standing there and well done on getting the accident cleared as we were told at the start that we might have to stop and then walk/slow ride around it.

Curious to know the reason to change to November and I assume it will unlikely be a seeding event for the 94.7 as will be too close. Will this have an effect on numbers if is the case?

want to thank gerald and the organizers, marshals and all involved for a superbly organized event. still one of the best in jhb.

thank you all.

I thought it was VA 225 He pushed me of Dean's wheel then tried the same with dean, dean pushed him away and he punched him on the jaw and dean went off the road. Sat in the bunch the whole day and with 2km left he wanted to sprint cut me off and even though i braked he still clipped my wheel.

When you start talking to him he gets aggressive...

Was a nice race I do feel robbed though

We passed the elites about or 9 km before the hotspot, they then slowed the elites down. with the hotspot the elites attacked and a small group came pas us. At that point the breakaway had 30 s on us.

They then neutralized the VA race because of 15 elites for 5 km but what about the breakaway?. When we got a gap update it was 3 1/2 minutes. Maybe the time delay between VA's and elites should be bigger, last year I was in elites when the va leading group came past us, but never luckily not the main peloton, it was choas

Other than that hard day out. Really does seem like in the VA's once an attack has formed they will win. Well that is what I have seen so far. Other than that it was a good race.

Nah I highly doubt it was 225. I know rider 225 and so does Dean. They wouldn't be punching each other. 225 also wasn't in CL kit

Nah I highly doubt it was 225. I know rider 225 and so does Dean. They wouldn't be punching each other. 225 also wasn't in CL kit

As i already mentioned it was 245.

Gerald, one touch i preferred last year for feedback to the committee was names in bigger font on the numbers. This year it was too small to read in the bunch.

Gerald, one gripe I have is riders jumping their seeding pens. I started in CL and there were 2 riders with GL on their numbers and one on a MTB that almost caused an accident in the narrowing of the start for the mats, which caused an instant gap between the front bunch of CL and the back riders, who then had to close the gap from the start. Also passed some riders on the route who also had FL on their numbers and were caught in the first 30kms. Apart from DQ is there anything else to deter this?

Otherwise a good event, well marshalled even in the rain. I commend them to keep standing there and well done on getting the accident cleared as we were told at the start that we might have to stop and then walk/slow ride around it.

Curious to know the reason to change to November and I assume it will unlikely be a seeding event for the 94.7 as will be too close. Will this have an effect on numbers if is the case?

We had very little to do with cleanup of the accident, except help sweep debris off the road. Due to the fatalities, they had to wait for the various traffic/pathology/investigators/etc., to finish their job. Didn't stop part of the team from continually stressing the importance that 1000's of cyclists will be coming through the area.

The dismounting was due to the debris on the road that would have caused plenty punctures.

Better to pre-warn everyone and the dismount doesn't happen than to try manage the site with riders not knowing. That said, the accident could have happened at any other time and we may have had to make other plans.

About the GL numbers in CL, I think it will always happen. It's also hard to pick up, unless the cyclists see it and point the guilty parties out in the batch.

I did bump 2 guys up from DL/EL to CL so they could ride with their team. They were one of the minor sponsors after all. 2016 results weren't used for seeding which might have given them a better seeding.

Just remember that we have about 3 minutes, maybe less to get through each batch once they arrive at the start. I barely got to speak to Long Wheel Base as I still wanted to speak to a few other known riders as well as Spinnekop, and then I saw LWB's team mate almost as soon as LWB introduced himself.

As for the November date...

Today's event counts for the seeding for this year's 947, and November's one will count for 2017.

A big reason is numbers. 9000 GP riders go to CT for the Argus. If we get 10% of those entries, we get 900.

30,000 enter the 947, so if we get 10% of these guys (mostly the guys that haven't got much training in), we get 3,000 entries. That's 3x the number by changing the target market.

We aren't planning to change the existing market, but adding numbers by adding another market that would otherwise not ride at this time of the year.

I'd like to get some race reports please, otherwise I'm going to put in a complaint... not sure who to

I am sure you can ask Cleats, she seems to be the expert in this area.

As for the November date...

Today's event counts for the seeding for this year's 947, and November's one will count for 2017.

A big reason is numbers. 9000 GP riders go to CT for the Argus. If we get 10% of those entries, we get 900.

30,000 enter the 947, so if we get 10% of these guys (mostly the guys that haven't got much training in), we get 3,000 entries. That's 3x the number by changing the target market.

We aren't planning to change the existing market, but adding numbers by adding another market that would otherwise not ride at this time of the year.

Separate discipline but does this not clash with 94.7 MTB race.  

Separate discipline but does this not clash with 94.7 MTB race.

Nope.

947 MTB is on 13-Nov

947 is 20-Nov

Gerald - great race, well organised. I rode in VC we had a bike marshall and a car with us all the way. The bike marshall had his hands full trying to stop the guys going across the white line. I got dropped from the front VC bunch with 20km to go. But still finished with a 2.33.56.

The only complaint about this event is, why championship chip? Why not Racetec? Most of the other events are timed by Racetec so all my results are nicely in one place.

my bad then

Gerald - great race, well organised. I rode in VC we had a bike marshall and a car with us all the way. The bike marshall had his hands full trying to stop the guys going across the white line. I got dropped from the front VC bunch with 20km to go. But still finished with a 2.33.56.

The only complaint about this event is, why championship chip? Why not Racetec? Most of the other events are timed by Racetec so all my results are nicely in one place.

Racetec vs Champion Chip... This has been asked many times. You aren't the first and won't be the last, at least not for our next event.

Cost was one reason;

Loyalty another;

A 3 year contract (to keep costs down);

It'a actually not Champion Chip, but Peak Timing - there are other companies that time using ChampionChip. Peak timing also does the online entries, general race queries, marketing, and many other jobs.

As there aren't other races (currently) using ChampionChip, I have no need to use my chip, as we don't get to ride today. So I share the rationale to have two (or more) chips.

Do I venture out and dare challenge the monopoly that has common interests in each other's business. Everything seems to revolve the CTCT, which can be both good and bad.

Would I change it?

In my personal capacity: yes.

As part of the race committee: reluctantly, no.

Gerald only feedback i have is around the timegaps between the elites and va. Last year we caught them too. (Or maybe the elites should start after the ladies ;)

You guys really did a superb job. Thank you for all the time and effort to make it a success. You guys do it for the love of the sport and it really comes through in the event.

We had 8 minute time gaps a few years ago for this very reason.

For the last 3 year's the Elites have raced 154, 160 and 165 so they''ve always finished behind the licensed categories.

It's a hard one with the extra distance (120) rejoining the route after only an 17km detour. I guess if we go back to 103 for everyone, we lose that bit of uniqueness in our race.

Anyway, it will get dissected on Tuesday evening, and I'll be asked for alternatives for the timing on the route. "Uitkak parade".

I guess 8 mins is possible, but I'd hate for a tandem group to catch the VB's turning left after the loop.

Here is the response to my complaint about VP bunch riders at Ride for Sight on the right hand lane....waiting for CSA to let me know exactly who was DQ!

Subject: RE: RIght hand lane cyclists in road races - Dischem Ride for Sight

Hi All.

We as the Road Rangers Bike marshals have over a bunch of years reported this type of behaviour . Unfortunately our hands are cut off in dealing with this. The race commissar was notified about this as it happened and as we are not certified race commissars can only report and not enforce this .Our main goal should this occur is to request cyclists to keep left, if they do not respond we then take the law into our own hands at a huge risk to ourselves and ride ahead of these bunches on the wrong side of the road and warn oncoming traffic. Provincial traffic dept. has given us strict instruction to abide by all rules of the road ,which we try our utmost to enforce.

This group in particular was later after being instructed by the officials that should this persist they would be disqualified , this only lasted a short time and the cyclists went along as if nothing happened.

I emphasise that it is for the main race commissar to instruct all cyclists as he or she is the only person to disqualify the culprits.

I hope this in a way answers your query?

Regards

Craig

Chairman

Road Rangers

Who are you waiting for at CSA?

We had 8 minute time gaps a few years ago for this very reason.

For the last 3 year's the Elites have raced 154, 160 and 165 so they''ve always finished behind the licensed categories.

It's a hard one with the extra distance (120) rejoining the route after only an 17km detour. I guess if we go back to 103 for everyone, we lose that bit of uniqueness in our race.

Anyway, it will get dissected on Tuesday evening, and I'll be asked for alternatives for the timing on the route. "Uitkak parade".

I guess 8 mins is possible, but I'd hate for a tandem group to catch the VB's turning left after the loop.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Best will be to have alternatives to the monopoly. Best for that if CSA / some "bbody " becomes the custodians /owners for sanctioned event results. Sharing the / have access to the results can be written into the rules for having an event sanctioned.

Seeding ladder should be free to use for all sanctioned events.

Guess this will show how deep the rot / "incest" is

Archived