Best quality MTB for around 35k

VISSERJ

I am looking at getting the Scott Spark 940 2016 model(soft tail).But i get so much other suggestions on other bikes in the pricerange of about 35k that i am totally confused now,and not sure what my best option will be.Any suggestions please.I am not a pro rider,but I like to do about 35km of mtb over weekends etc.

Thanks.

trance advanced

cube stereo HPC

Camber

Anthem Advanced 

Anthem SX

I wouldn't go for the scott, personally. Too aggressive unless you're at the sharp end. If you're more into the leisure side of things (incl weekend races) then something with a bit more relaxed geometry and slightly more travel would suit you better. 

Spark 940's a great bike! Giant Anthem X is also a great option, but if it was my money I would go the Scott route - I'm a big fan of the Twinloc feature and the fact that it comes with the new Shimano XT 2x11 makes it an even more appealing package.

trance advanced

cube stereo HPC

Camber

Anthem Advanced 

Anthem SX

I wouldn't go for the scott, personally. Too aggressive unless you're at the sharp end. If you're more into the leisure side of things (incl weekend races) then something with a bit more relaxed geometry and slightly more travel would suit you better. 

Agreed, although I’m new to MTB I tested quite a few bikes before I bought. Scott felt very aggressive and the aggression soon turned to pain. My Money is on the Camber.

Agreed, although I’m new to MTB I tested quite a few bikes before I bought. Scott felt very aggressive and the aggression soon turned to pain.

It's a very good bike, and it was voted best XC bike by one of the European mags in I think 2013, but the suspension design NEEDS that twinloc to make it efficient on the climbs, and for someone who isn't racing - it's not suitable IMO. Far better to be on something with a more relaxed head angle and more travel (110-140mm) which will give the rider FAR more enjoyment and a bigger "safety net" should they run out of skill. 

It's a very good bike, and it was voted best XC bike by one of the European mags in I think 2013, but the suspension design NEEDS that twinloc to make it efficient on the climbs, and for someone who isn't racing - it's not suitable IMO. Far better to be on something with a more relaxed head angle and more travel (110-140mm) which will give the rider FAR more enjoyment and a bigger "safety net" should they run out of skill

so true, experienced that on Saturday, again. Very glad to have had a 130mm fork when I did an unplanned 1m ride on the front wheel after a badly taken drop-off on the Coetzenburg xc track. Amper my gat gesien...

A very good question as I am about to pull the trigger on a Momsen Vipa AC about the same prices range and reading the above comments has got me rethinking.

It's a very good bike, and it was voted best XC bike by one of the European mags in I think 2013, but the suspension design NEEDS that twinloc to make it efficient on the climbs, and for someone who isn't racing - it's not suitable IMO. Far better to be on something with a more relaxed head angle and more travel (110-140mm) which will give the rider FAR more enjoyment and a bigger "safety net" should they run out of skill. 

Fair Point, BUT, the best advice I can give is to test both (if it's an option!). I went from a Anthem to a Spark and personally, for me, I found the Scott to be more comfortable. Everyones different and R35k is lot's of money - so test if it's possible!

Fair Point, BUT, the best advice I can give is to test both (if it's an option!). I went from a Anthem to a Spark and personally, for me, I found the Scott to be more comfortable. Everyones different and R35k is lot's of money - so test if it's possible!

Spark has a slightly more relaxed head angle than the Giant, so that would have been a contributing factor. Only reason I prefer the Giant over the Scott is due to the suspension design. If you put a 120mm fork on the Spark... Should be FUN. Short chainstays, slack(er) geometry and so on. Would be a worthwhile experiment. 

Thanks all,i am a bit more confused now.....hahaha,but seeing that there is atleast a few of you that said the Scott is good i think i will give it a go. So the bike i am going to buy will be the Scott Spark 940 (2016 model) 29" wheels,tubeless coversion with a medium frame.

Hope this will be a good buy for me,there are to many options to choose from :blink:!​

Thanks all,i am a bit more confused now.....hahaha,but seeing that there is atleast a few of you that said the Scott is good i think i will give it a go. So the bike i am going to buy will be the Scott Spark 940 (2016 model) 29" wheels,tubeless coversion with a medium frame.

Hope this will be a good buy for me,there are to many options to choose from :blink:!​

Have you ridden the 650b version? Medium frame, it might be a better fit than the wagon wheel 29.

Yep the choices were easier when you had just a Rally 3 speed and BSA Fixie to choose from..I ride a Scott Genius 940 (custom) all xt components ,American classic hubs with stans rims and dropper seat post .(Do yourself a favor and have the upgrade done to the fox Evolution shock.)

I've been mtnbiking for around 18 years and before the current bike i have owned Giant ,Trek  2 Scott genius 26'rs and a Specialized Stumpie. My Ridding buddy rides a Scott spark 740 I had quite a delema 27/29 choosing and I'm really glad i went the 29 er route.

You haven't told us where/what you ride, but if its anything like we have here in Stellenbosch I'd go:

1) Trance

2) Camber

3) Trance SX 4) Cube 5) Silverback Slider 6) Trek Fuel. (no particular order the last few)

(I am a kortgat and would go 650b)

Do not underestimate the modern trail bike: It climbs efficiently enough and is SOOOOOO much more fun going down.  

Bottom line, go and ride the different bikes and decide which one feels best for you. Then buy the bike with the best spec out of your choices.

And if that fails chose the one that looks the best.

Archived