Protea Cycle Classic - Meyerton - complaint

Big Phil

Had the absolute displeasure of participating in this event today and our entire group have vowed never to return to any event organized by these guys.

This area is known for wind and coupled with today's heat the 8am start was going to pit us against the best that both would offer. First 40km and it became clear that the second 40km would be challenging. Arrive at the 40 km water point in plus 35 deg heat and told there is no water. I was in the middle of the field so there was quite a lot of guys still to come through and there is no water for anyone. We are told the organisors are bringing some so we hang about waiting. After twenty minutes waiting we decide to push on to the 60km water point. Our current water supplies are now running low and getting hot, I could probably end making a cup of tea with it

Nevertheless we soldiered on mentally focussed on the next water point. After staggering in at 60 with wind now in full force and the temperature at its maximum, guess what....NO WATER. By now some guys are losing it and calling the organisors to get some water there asap. Once again we told water is on the way. Despite having heard this story before and been disappointed we had no choice but to wait as the only water left was what my buddy got having climbed through barbed wire to get to a water tank on one the farms. Another 20 mins later someone pitches up with about 15 liters of water to be shared amongst twenty or so riders while the back markers are coming in in the distance. Needless to say not enough to go around. Another of the organisors then pitches up with two cans of fizzy drink to be shared amongst everyone. He felt it necessary to state that he bought them with his own cash.

So with 200ml in the bottles I left for the last 20 and on the road literally witnessed riders falling off their bikes due to the heat, wind and dehydration. My other two mates finished ahead of us and collected water from wherever they could even paying for them and drove all the way to the back markers to see if they needed water. They did this more than once while not a single organisor was in sight.

The event organisor is listed as Wimpie van Niekerk and if that is the case he should be banned from organizing events in future. He put a lot of people at risk today by not being able to provide the one free item in the event - water.

Very very poor organisation and I will never return.

Any other hubbers had the misfortune of being in this race.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% with you

We had this conversation a few days ago about this organiser

Midvaal 100 was the same story

Why do we pay R160.00 entry?

Lucky I was a bit closer to the front so I got water at 60. Conditions were brutal and I have never used 3 bottles for 80 k's before. Must have been terrible for you guys. Organization was chaotic and start was way too late. Last time for me too.

The heat and wind was a monster. The organisers should have foreseen this problem with the extreme heat. (wind was hot, heat reflected from the tar, 35deg on the day). I started off the day riding with my wife. Just before the 40km turn around she said she was not feeling great. She decided to wait at the water point while I carried on doing the 80km. With the wind in my back, I TT to the 40km turn around to find there is no water. I hooked up with a husband and wife and laboured to the 60km water point where my wife fortunately had some hot water for me. By this time I was dehydrated and the hot water  did not help at all. Together we started the last 20km but I had to stop frequently because of the dehydration. I eventually asked to my wife to cycle to the finish, get the car and fetch me. I laboured on at a snails pace. A lady in a BMW thankfully had a container with cold water along the way, but I don't think she made it to the back markers as everyone with me came down on her like vultures to get water. Wife collected me before I got to the finish. I have never felt this bad after a race.

Edited by djvr

Was this a CSA sanctioned event ? If so, they need to do something like sanctioning the organizer ! But we know that probably won't happen.

Best way.......vote with your wallet.

Hmm - I get that the event has to have water tables in it etc but there is another point of view - you guys knew the weather was going to be hot etc:

"This area is known for wind and coupled with today's heat the 8am start was going to pit us against the best that both would offer. First 40km and it became clear that the second 40km would be challenging."

You could have taken extra, not ridden or turned around. Its pretty certain you knew it was going to be tough yet you chose to carry on.

Just saying.

Yesterday was Hades - I was out at 6:00 am already riding and I was back by 9:30 am and it was so hot with a trailing wind that on the climbs that i was struggling to stay cool. That was on a social ride - I cannot imagine why you would go out racing in that.

Its not to be toyed with, heat exhaustion can be fatal - and yes the organisers should have seen it coming but there is also common sense that needs to prevail in this.

Hmm - I get that the event has to have water tables in it etc but there is another point of view - you guys knew the weather was going to be hot etc:

"This area is known for wind and coupled with today's heat the 8am start was going to pit us against the best that both would offer. First 40km and it became clear that the second 40km would be challenging."

You could have taken extra, not ridden or turned around. Its pretty certain you knew it was going to be tough yet you chose to carry on.

Just saying.

Yesterday was Hades - I was out at 6:00 am already riding and I was back by 9:30 am and it was so hot with a trailing wind that on the climbs that i was struggling to stay cool. That was on a social ride - I cannot imagine why you would go out racing in that.

Its not to be toyed with, heat exhaustion can be fatal - and yes the organisers should have seen it coming but there is also common sense that needs to prevail in this.

(competitors) in the brown Land Cruiser that came out with water - you are life savers. Unfortunately my son did not get any fluid on the way back - 40k's with fluids - it is unthinkable.

Yes it is hot, and yes you need to anticipate this. But you also anticipate water tables therefore you do not carry extra water.

If the guys were on a training ride and moaned about the heat I would tell them to plan better next time, but this was a race and you carry water and plan according to water tables.

Are there no standards/guidelines for race orgainsers when it comes to events? Surely if you have a race of X KMs then you would have a water point every 15kms or so?

It would appear you need to be very selective with the races you do these days! Most organisers seem to keep their costs down to maximize R's in their pocket! Were there paramedics available on the route as well?

Cannot agree more with you Patchelicious. It was painful to go without fluids for such a long period and no one is to blame besides the organisers. Even if they did not anticipate such a big turnout they should have "made a plan". Dehydration & heat stroke are fatal and I am sure they would not want that on their heads. It was a tough ride without the fluid complications.

Are there no standards/guidelines for race orgainsers when it comes to events? Surely if you have a race of X KMs then you would have a water point every 15kms or so?

It would appear you need to be very selective with the races you do these days! Most organisers seem to keep their costs down to maximize R's in their pocket! Were there paramedics available on the route as well?

Did not see paramedics on the route nor did I see a sweeper vehicle until people started calling the organisors from the 60km water point to voice their frustrations.

I am just going to vote with my wallet and steer clear from this crowd.

Paul, I too think you are missing the point, the main issue was the absence of water at the water point. I also don't anticipate water at a water point, I expect water at a water point. What is use of a water point without water?

Just saying.

Aaah... So, people participating in road races on hot, windy days must account for the fact that 'event organisers' (and i use the term very loosely, if you cant even provide hydration for competitors) cant organise a piss-up in a brewery, and all use 3l Camelbaks. C'mon bru, you're being ridiculous.

Edited by Baaisikilist

Hmm

Let me explain.

I have seen and experienced races as big as the Argus get caught out by heat, so its pretty certain that the organisers of events of all sizes and shapes are regularly getting caught out by freak weather.  I arrived at a drinks table in the Epic in 2006 at 80 km's expecting water , to be greeted by "sorry you are meant to be self sufficient". Clearly lousy planning on their behalf but also let the rider beware was my lesson (it was in teh fine print and after lots of bitching it was pointed ou to us). I never forgot the next 52kms to George.

Epic, Argus or 80km challenge - its all the same.

Knowing this and that you are embarking on an endurance event/race in extreme, if not freakish conditions, what have you done or could you do to anticipate and offset the risks. (see the original posts - they knew it was hot and windy)

I saw 37 and 38 Centigrade outside yesterday and there was lots of wind and that was at 9 am - so it got a lot worse. So it was a freak situation, whether you were on a training ride or in a race. 

The organisers - lets leave them out. From the above you know they are likely to not be able to respond. They are already in the dwang. They dont have enough water and have never seen the conditions they ran in to. It was a Black Swan day.

So you are welcome to say they were a bunch of idiots and put peoples life in to danger. I agree. 

Thats not the point I am making.

You as a rider and can anticipate the conditions you ride in and can change your responses to a situation.

And when you are already in a bad situation dont exacerbate it by continuing.

Here's what I see as some of the decision options:

Weather is hot - abnormally hot and windy on the day. In fact freakish and you observe this at the beginning (see post). Weather has been hot - unusually hot - for the last couple of weeks.

Based on the above scenario what do you do?

Options are to not ride. to take more water/fluids (cause you are likely to use more) or to ride shorter.

Then when you get in to a situation when the conditions worsen you also have options: call for help, turn around, stop etc.

But carrying on is really the worst option and makes a difficult situation worse and results in more carnage or potentially other bad consequences.

Point is that you have to ultimately manage the situation you see in front of you and take ownership and responsibility when the situation goes pear shaped. You embarked on an endurance event in freakishly hot weather and you then to a certain extent have abdicated responsibility for your well being to the organisers, whom you know are unlikely to be able to respond.

Just some observations here - use it dont use it - feel free to flame me but there is a lesson to be learned.

I am always amazed by this but here it is:

The organiser will face criticism, possibly even sanction for not having enough water  - you however can die out there for your efforts (heat exhaustion kills easily) at worst , or spend some very uncomfortable time in hospital on a drip. So knowing this I think you have more to lose.

Keen to see the times if they ever get published. Not many sub 3's I suspect on a very flat 80k course so that should tell you something.

I think the organizers of yesterday's event, wouldv'e gotten away with their lack of preperation if it wasn't for the ridicolous heat. I properly bonked on the last 20 km of the race, and take most of the responsibility for dehydrating, but the lack of water was also a factor.

I think this summer will reveal how ill-prepared many organizers are w.r.t to water tables and hydration. Even in the CSA Rules and Regulations, there is no formula to say how many litres per person an organizer needs to cater for. Mix this up with over-concentrated Powerade and you have a recipe for disaster!

Technically according to the CSA rules, the organizer did not even breach a rule yesterday!

I just hope future events will cater for a worst case scenario w.r.t hydration, sanitation, parking and medical assistance.