Wheelset + Wife

Toxic

I had it easier than most -

"Love, I can't ride factory wheels and call myself a wheel builder."

Still haven't 'fessed up to the actual cost!

what wheels did you build yourself??

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lying to the wife a recipe for a long happy marriage?

If I want something we prioritize it. All said and done when we got married for better or for worse we entered into a equal partnership one pot and all of that. That said most of our spare cash is spent on the youngster and there is not that much left to spread around the adults. 

Edited by alsoran

Show her a quote for Enve hoops with I9 hubs, agree that its way too expensive and then show her the quote for the wheels you are eye-ing.

Quite brilliant ????

Edited by ' Dale

How do you tell your wife you "need" a new wheelset that is worth R15k ? 

You dont tell her, you wait and see if she notices them, if she does say you swopped yours with your buddy, if not, you still have the option in a years time or so to tell her that you really need to buy something new for your bike and you'll then still have that 15k to spend if she agrees, If not, well you've already won actually...

True Story -  :ph34r: My mrs knows nothing about cycling, Anyway in dec i bought a new frame, groupo AND wheels, Built up a bike from scratch basically after selling my previous bike and getting paid out from my previous job which i left. When the bike was completed she noticed(never expected her to) and asked me 1 day when did i buy a new bike and proceeded to throw a massive hissy fit about excluding her from the things i do in my life etc etc, Now Plan A was to tell her the truth, but after the way she acted, i opted for plan B and proceeded to tell her all i did was had my bike re-sprayed and showed her pics on Instagram of "Jared-BMC" artwork. She believed me :clap:

Edited by FootballingCyclist

My greatest fear when I die, is that my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her it's worth!

She'll probably only get what you told her it's worth anyway... It's crazy how cycling stuff depreciates in this world...

During my last relationship I started building a skora-skora bike: the girlfriend was impressed. 

The first chance I got a bought a decent bike with the same configuration and color: she didn't notice. 

But she did start telling people how good I am with bicycle repairs and even volunteered my services :cursing:  and I got a few strange looks when the girlfriend showed people "the bike I built" :huh: . 

Well, the girlfriend is no more but I am now a founding member of a informal bicycle builders & repair club :whistling: and all our members have niiiiiiiicccce bikes built from cheap, secondhand, discarded, exchanged, scrounged garbage dump parts! 

(Ok, the last bit is a lie....)

Edited by No Hare

A few week's ago I told my wife I wanted to buy a new bike, don't need one wanted it though. Said I would sell my current bike to recover some of the cost of the new one. She told me to buy the new one and keep the current one. She said it's still a really nice bike, so no point selling it so soon because I would regret it. Same thing when I needed new wheels, no problem.

Guess am just lucky.

I didn't know you lost your balls when you got married. Guess it's lucky I am still single and have a life without having to ask for permission.

Hahahaaa. And you'll stay single. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

My greatest fear when I die, is that my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her it's worth!

that is the quote equivalent of this picture

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/general-discussion/973917d1426687837-safe-storage-bikes-while-tent-camping-bikelove.jpg

Surprised no-one has asked (yet) what wheels you're thinking of getting?

South Industries with White Industries Hub  rear and Lefty front for my Cannondale scalpel 29er