Sidewall gash - Repair or Replace?

WKNDWRRR

So I'm camping near Greyton this last weekend. I get up super early to check out the Oewerzicht mtb trail. Less than 3 kays into the ride, I split my Continental X-King sidewall on a some shale. Luckily had a spare tube to get me home but that was the end of the ride because the tube was pushing through the gash. Doubly disappointing because the tyre was only a few months old. Anyway, my question is, looking at the attached picture, is it worth repairing the tyre or do just bite the bullet and fork out another R500 + for a new tyre? I've read about stitching the cut closed with dental floss and then using a piece of another tyre to patch the gash from the inside. I imagine that this would mean that I couldn't ride tubeless anymore?

post-11731-0-52429400-1447062585_thumb.jpg

How big is the gash? Can't see the image. 

If it's smallish (2-3cm or so) then stitch it closed with fishing line / cotton and then patch it from the inside with normal tyre repair glue and a piece of old tube. Once it's dry, it'll be fine to use, even with tubeless. 

Alternatively, get one of those plugs from motorbike shops - they look like an oversized golf tee, and go in from the inside. 

Consider carrying a tire boot or other such that can be wrapped round the tube to reinforce it against bursting through a sidewall gash.

On an older bike I always had a length of duct tape wrapped on my seat post for this. Now with a dropper....need somewhere else to put it

How big is the gash? Can't see the image. 

If it's smallish (2-3cm or so) then stitch it closed with fishing line / cotton and then patch it from the inside with normal tyre repair glue and a piece of old tube. Once it's dry, it'll be fine to use, even with tubeless. 

Alternatively, get one of those plugs from motorbike shops - they look like an oversized golf tee, and go in from the inside. 

Sorry, uploaded the pic now, had issues doing it from my phone. The gash is less than 2 cm. 

Sorry, uploaded the pic now, had issues doing it from my phone. The gash is less than 2 cm. 

Yep. Then stitch and patch from inside. Will hold perfectly. Just don't stitch too close to the gash, or (like in sewing, when you stitch too close tot he edge of the material) it'll pull out. 

I had similar experience with my tyre...for some strange reason I had a small cut just above the rim. Cleaned the inside(removed sealant residue etc.) took a normal patch (thicker ones) and used superglue to stick it over the patch. Fitted the tyre again with some sealant and still works. Had this issue in June.

Same thing happened on my brand new conti protection...was proper miff about it

Don't say that...any idea what you cut it on. Also shale??

Had the exact same cut on my IKON.

Went to midas. Bought a gator patch. Ask for the smallest they have. Differ from the size of a R5 to the size of your hand. Clean tire thoroughly on the inside. Sand it with 80grit sandpaper to roughen it up a bit. Apply glue on tyre. Stick gator on.

Leave the patch to set for about 30min. I just parked my car on the patched area. That way i got super pressure on it. Otherwise a dining room tables leg also works.

Re fit tyre. Add sealant. And pump it up. Good to go and tour tyre would last till the threads are smooth or till when your arse itches and you just buy a different tyre

Same thing happened on my brand new conti protection...was proper miff about itI d

Mine isn't the Protection model but I don't think I'll buy Continental mtb tyres again. My Maxxis Ardent front tyre which I've had on the bike for much longer is basically bombproof as were the Bontragers that came standard on the bike. The Continental sidewall feels flimsy

Had the exact same cut on my IKON.

Went to midas. Bought a gator patch. Ask for the smallest they have. Differ from the size of a R5 to the size of your hand. Clean tire thoroughly on the inside. Sand it with 80grit sandpaper to roughen it up a bit. Apply glue on tyre. Stick gator on.

Leave the patch to set for about 30min. I just parked my car on the patched area. That way i got super pressure on it. Otherwise a dining room tables leg also works.

Re fit tyre. Add sealant. And pump it up. Good to go and tour tyre would last till the threads are smooth or till when your arse itches and you just buy a different tyre

I'll try this in combination with stitching the cut closed with gut. Actually going to pop into a Midas shortly to look for the gator and some sandpaper. Do I just ask for a 'Gator patch'? I've never bought one before.

Yeah if the salesman is sharp he would know. Otherwise the patch you patch a tyre on the inside with. Youll feel its a tough patch. So dont be balled into buying a normal tube patch. This is a tyre patch

Just as a side note. Ill just patch. That would leave a even surface on the inside for the patch to sit firm and be 100% in contact with the bonding surface.

Let us know the wnd result

Yeah if the salesman is sharp he would know. Otherwise the patch you patch a tyre on the inside with. Youll feel its a tough patch. So dont be balled into buying a normal tube patch. This is a tyre patch

Just as a side note. Ill just patch. That would leave a even surface on the inside for the patch to sit firm and be 100% in contact with the bonding surface.

Let us know the wnd result

Ok thanks, I'll try it without the stitching, what you said makes sense. And you figure I can use the tyre tubeless?

Don't say that...any idea what you cut it on. Also shale??

plain old rock...as they say in the classics "NOTHING BEATS ROCK"

Archived