29er Front tire with some grip?

chris_meowzit

Hi All,

looking for a front tire that will offer some more grip. I Currently have a Maxxis Sphinx 29 x 2.1 and cornering is not ideal with this tire, I don't have all that much confidence especially in loose stuff and a bit of speed.

I was thinking of going for the Maxxis Crossmark but after reading a few posts people are saying that its not that great on the front but good on the rear. Dont have loads of cash to throw at tires as I just do RTR on the spruit and a few other trails I travel out too on the weekends. What combos are people using and what can you recommend?

Thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Spez Ground Control (2.3) on the front and a WTB Trail Boss (2.25) at the rear with good results.. 

I'm using a Maxxis Ardent on the front of my 29er, seems to grip just fine.

But then again, I'm a dirt roadie, and new to mtb, so what the hell do I know about off road tyres?

I'm using a Maxxis Ardent on the front of my 29er, seems to grip just fine.

But then again, I'm a dirt roadie, and new to mtb, so what the hell do I know about off road tyres?

+1.......this one????✔✔✔

Hi All,

looking for a front tire that will offer some more grip. I Currently have a Maxxis Sphinx 29 x 2.1 and cornering is not ideal with this tire, I don't have all that much confidence especially in loose stuff and a bit of speed.

I was thinking of going for the Maxxis Crossmark but after reading a few posts people are saying that its not that great on the front but good on the rear. Dont have loads of cash to throw at tires as I just do RTR on the spruit and a few other trails I travel out too on the weekends. What combos are people using and what can you recommend?

Thanks

Dropped you a message re the On-One tyre options I have. Affordable, durable and plenty grip.

My confidence on the trail has grown hugely since I put a Maxxis Ardent on the front.I don't see myself replacing it with anything else when it wears out.

Agree that you must avoid Crossmarks on the front, but I imagine they would be fine on the rear. I am using a Continental X King on the rear, great grip and low rolling resistance but the sidewalls seem flimsy.

My Tallboy LT came new with 2.25 UST Ardents on both ends, tubeless. They roll OK, moderately grippy and very tough but I was having occasional issues with traction, at the front they simply would wash out when leaned over hard and at the rear, braking traction was not great.

Changed to 2.3 Spez Purgatory front and 2.3 Ground Control rear and got an immediate huge improvement in grip with no noticeable sacrifice in rolling ability. The GC rolls better than the Ardent and more grippy. The Purgatory probably does not roll quite as quick as an Ardent but this is not much of an issue for a front tyre....and it grips so much better allround.

The GC/Purgatory is not as robust though - if you go this route then look for the Grid casings which are tougher than Control casings. Also, I have had a few burps on the rear tyre when going up rocky obstacles - the GC pulls away from the rim much easier than the UST Ardent so I have to run the pressures a little higher. Again, I think this is due to the thinner sidewalls of the Control casing.

What will I buy next time? most likely the Purgatory/GC combo again but in Grid casing. Will also look at an Onza Ibex/Canis combo or something from WTB if the prices are right.

OP, try a Schwalbe Rock Razor on the front. Low centre knobs for fast rolling and big side lugs for aggressive cornering. 

I have never washed out with an Ikon on the front. Ikons have a lot more grip than crossmarks and is a very good option for xc riding. Its not for hitting trails hard but has good grip for everyday xc type riding.

OP, try a Schwalbe Rock Razor on the front. Low centre knobs for fast rolling and big side lugs for aggressive cornering. 

That'll teach you to rail corners properly...  Side knobs of the Magic Mary. no grip no grip no grip OH FAAAAARK!!! RAILED> 

Archived