Coronation Double Century: Tips from the expert

News bot

The Coronation Double Century is no Saturday morning coffee ride. You have to be fit and you have to be prepared. We speak to Johann le Roux, the only CDC participant to have completed all 22 events, about what it takes to get his team over the finish line.

Click here to view the article

How are your weaker riders not dropped by 150km? By 150km you start dropping strong riders!!

I see reference is made to “amateur ranks" and "getting the whole team across the finish line together" ... perhaps the article is aimed at a specific group of particpants rather than the type of riders you are referring to.  ;)

I see reference is made to “amateur ranks" and "getting the whole team across the finish line together" ... perhaps the article is aimed at a specific group of particpants rather than the type of riders you are referring to.  ;)

Friend of mine asked me to ride dc with his club a couple of years back. I didn't and thankfully because it was an absolute disaster!

he stronger riders went out fast and dropped half the team by Barrydale.. By Montague only the fastest three were together and finishd together. Then they moaned at everyone else because the team time was nearly 8 hours when the 6th man crossed the line.

PS: Johan says keep the weaker riders in front - thats so you can see them. IF they ride behind the faster guys pick up the pace and then start putting those guys into the hurt locker pronto. The result is a totally destroyed team.

Keep the weaker riders in sight and let them do a turn on the front for 30seconds. The stronger riders can do one minutes turns on the front.

PS: Johan says keep the weaker riders in front - thats so you can see them. IF they ride behind the faster guys pick up the pace and then start putting those guys into the hurt locker pronto. The result is a totally destroyed team.

Keep the weaker riders in sight and let them do a turn on the front for 30seconds. The stronger riders can do one minutes turns on the front.

Weaker riders are there to be sacrificed! :devil:

Put them on the front and make them go flat out for the first 50km or till they explode. Keep the stronger riders fresh for as long as possible.

Friend of mine asked me to ride dc with his club a couple of years back. I didn't and thankfully because it was an absolute disaster!

he stronger riders went out fast and dropped half the team by Barrydale.. By Montague only the fastest three were together and finishd together. Then they moaned at everyone else because the team time was nearly 8 hours when the 6th man crossed the line.

Reminds me of this..."There is no I in TEAM, but...."

I've been in a team like that - two of us bigger guys got dropped at the bottom of Tradouw. Team went on to race each other, and finished with 5 riders...

Will be my sixth one this year

Last year was the only year all 12 riders finished together – we decided upfront the goal was to finish together  - don't care about time– slowest  time of all, but for sure the most rewarding one  - was really awesome.

One year the team captain said : six rider will finish. If it is seven, the stronger six did not ride hard enough… lol   :ph34r: