[Event] Absa Cape Epic

Absa Cape Epic

As long as the Joels, Garys, Gugus and Smits are raising huge sums of money for their respective charities I'll grant them the attention they are getting. I also follow the progress of the 'ordinary' people riding for charities, like the Webbs, doing lots for their [emoji173]️Boobies campaign. It shows that 'ordinary' people can also make a difference.

I would also like to see more of the real warriors slogging to make cut-off.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah Man, Its a shame..

Arguably SA's two top riders out!

It puts merely finishing these stages into perspective. I've only ever done 3 day stage races and every time I got to the last day I was glad to be finishing. Cant say After these three days I would have been jumping up and down at the thought of another 3 days of afk@k

I know Its the EPIC... just saying

I want to see more of the Back Markers. Those guys are the true Heroes....

Especially today.  Let me tell you, it is brutal out there this afternoon.  It is hot, and they have to ride to Wellington against this south-easter.  Although the wind is not very strong, together with this dry heat, it will suck all energy from their weary bodies.  I expect that non-finishers list to grow by quite a bit tonight.

As long as the Joels, Garys, Gugus and Smits are raising huge sums of money for their respective charities I'll grant them the attention they are getting. I also follow the progress of the 'ordinary' people riding for charities, like the Webbs, doing lots for their [emoji173]️Boobies campaign. It shows that 'ordinary' people can also make a difference.

I would also like to see more of the real warriors slogging to make cut-off.

Ja okay, if you put it that way I retract my previous statement. Go Joels! Go Gazza!

What is the attrition rate for The Epic usually - out of the 1600 starters this year how many do they expect to actually finish?

What is the attrition rate for The Epic usually - out of the 1600 starters this year how many do they expect to actually finish?

There is 400 before the prologue starts (max of 1200 riders [emoji6], not 1600) and I recall a stat of between 18 and 28% attrition in previous Epics. This year seems particularly brutal on the riders.

Very tough day out there today. Early climb started at around 10km and it was steep, rocky and sandy. Then technical descent which was ok. Through the valley, sand and wind. Finally hit Bains Kloof into a headwind. The descent was welcome but immediately it was up WTF climb. Some fantastic single track followed, but more climbing. We rode Full Monte and Lord of the Rings that I can remember. Water Point 3 was about 5km too far, we were parched when we got there. My partner struggled early on but we maintained. Tomorrow we try harder. Very hot out there today. 

There is 400 before the prologue starts (max of 1200 riders [emoji6], not 1600) and I recall a stat of between 18 and 28% attrition in previous Epics. This year seems particularly brutal on the riders.

According to the race register there are 650 teams x 2 = 1300 riders?

Very tough day out there today. Early climb started at around 10km and it was steep, rocky and sandy. Then technical descent which was ok. Through the valley, sand and wind. Finally hit Bains Kloof into a headwind. The descent was welcome but immediately it was up WTF climb. Some fantastic single track followed, but more climbing. We rode Full Monte and Lord of the Rings that I can remember. Water Point 3 was about 5km too far, we were parched when we got there. My partner struggled early on but we maintained. Tomorrow we try harder. Very hot out there today. 

Well Done Jc, Kick Ass.

I stand to correction then  :thumbup:  That's a lot of people who won't make it - harrowing if you have spent all the money to get this far...

Awesome job JC - how was your time? I am still trying to wrap my head around peeps spending 8 plus hours out there and then doing it again... The next day  :mellow:

Awesome job JC - how was your time? I am still trying to wrap my head around peeps spending 8 plus hours out there and then doing it again... The next day  :mellow:

We managed to come in under 6:30 every day (other than prologue) so it leaves enough time to rest and recover. Tough conditions out there. 

We managed to come in under 6:30 every day (other than prologue) so it leaves enough time to rest and recover. Tough conditions out there.

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Respect, that deserves serious Kudos! All the best for the remaining stages - give it horns  :thumbup:

On another note, I am a bit over hearing and reading about the "celebs" that do this race. So what Gary Kirsten, Michael Mol bla blah you were famous once...I would rather have tales of the real people who are tackling this great event, their training and journey to the Epic. 

Although I would like to see a Cliff Saunders /  Steve Hofmeyr team eating the dust there.

Steve might be jag'ed out the race tho, he looks too much like Floyd Landis

I think the toughest is over.  Tomorrow will be better, slightly cooler. Friday and Saturday will be much more cooler even, with maybe some light rain to hopefully prevent the worst dust.  

Although Friday's stage looks to be the toughest, the cooler weather and north-wester from behind might help.

Archived