New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Interesting how the advertising works, this popped up as an ad on my screen, because the thread is NZ related, even though I'm in ZA.  Not sure they will ship to Joburg...

Bunnings.JPG

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/18/2022 at 8:35 PM, Stretched@Birth said:

Interesting how the advertising works, this popped up as an ad on my screen, because the thread is NZ related, even though I'm in ZA.  Not sure they will ship to Joburg...

Bunnings.JPG

Interesting.... Is Matt (from BikeHub) now getting money from Bunnings because patches speak so much about them on this thread.....

18 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Interesting.... Is Matt (from BikeHub) now getting money from Bunnings because patches speak so much about them on this thread.....

😅 guilty... but hey! Maybe I should be getting some of that ad revenue from Bunnings, haha!

That' said... I have a 1st world Bunnings problem... I received a Bunnings voucher for my birthday and I don't even know what to spend it on because I can't find much that I actually want or need from there. I've Bunnings'ed myself out! I'm Bunnings Broken.

• 1 month later...

After recently returning from a trip across the Tasman, I can recount some good and bad from the whole experience.

Pre-Departure Testing, Travel Declarations and Post Arrival Requirements

• NZ to AU - At my time of departure, Aus still required a pre-departure test and travel declaration. Requirements are fewer now, but the Aussie online form was easy to follow and getting a supervised RAT at a local pharmacist was straight forward. After arriving in Aus it's all up to you to test (and to know to test) at days 1 & 6.
  • AU to NZ - NZ still requires a pre-departure test and travel declaration. The kiwi online form was also easy to follow (a better UX in my option), however getting a pre-departure test in Aus was a little trickier. Not nearly as many pharmacists do it, and unless one wants to pay the extortionate clinic prices (often around $200 for a supervised RAT), then they better book in early at a pharmacy that does offer it. We used a Terry White ChemMart branch n Melbourne, but had to book and their online system requires those booking to have an Aussie phone number (seriously?!). After arriving the bio-security officers will issue you with 3 RAT test welcome pack and the online declaration will email/remind you on the days you need to take the tests.

Flights

Auckland to Sydney, Sydney to Melbourne, Melbourne to Auckland... all packed! Both the AirNZ flights I had (departing and returning to Auckland) were delayed. One by 30min. One by 4hrs. I think the planes and crew are a little rusty. Other than that, it wasn't too bad.

Airports

Both Auckland and Melbourne's International Departures have very little open in the way of retail or hospitality. Big opportunities missed considering the number of travellers over this Easter-Anzac period and how desperate those sectors have been for increased activity. Sydney's Domestic Departures was pretty open and buzzing, even at 6am.

Arrival back at Auckland International was a bit of a debacle. E-Gates not working for most of the Aussie and Kiwi passengers, so they had to join the "undesirable passports" queue that I have to use with my Green Mamba. This made clearing immigration a 45min process. To add to that, Biosecurity was backed up, so add another 45min, and the cherry on top was when finally exiting the airport (at 12:20am), we were told the shuttle bus between terminals was not running (despite multiple announcements on the plane and in the airport that it was), so I had to take a 2km jog to retrieve the car, then drive to pickup the wife. Got home after 1am.

Aussie

Always great to visit the trans-Tasman neighbours. The country seems to be doing well. A little weird being in a majority-maskless culture and I guess a glimpse into our future (we hope), but one soon adapts.

Apart form visting family, I have to admit that much of the trip was spent shopping, and I did notice that the price disparity between Aus & NZ on some general goods was not as much as it has been in the past. In fact I found myself paying more for some general groceries than I do in NZ, so it seems these rates of inflation are not only a Kiwi issue. Not sure on what the official rate is over there (I think in the region of 5.8%), but for some reason the increased cost of living that is NZ's no. 1 concern at the moment seems to be less.

Then there's always house prices and when chatting with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, they indicate that average family homes (little 3 bed, 1 bath workers cottages on 400sqm or less) near them, Sydney's inner west (similar to Auckland's Fringe districts like Kingsland, Morningside etc) are around AUD 2M, and they say that casually as though it's not even a concern. Granted Aussue salaries are generally higher, but still... TWEE-EN-TWINTIG MILJOEN RONDS!!

Conclusion

In general though, it was great to travel internationally again. It had been over 2 years since I had left NZ. I'm sure some of those hiccups will be ironed out with time. And as exciting as travel can be, I'm always glad to return home, even if it is to an overgrown lawn and massive pile of laundry.

Did anyone else trans-Tasman over the holidays, or is planning to soon?

Edited by patches

Seems we're going to be going back the office over time. Being a contractor, I don't get office parking so will have to park on the road, at $1/hr.

Now, some might think this is a bad thing, but I'm thinking it would be a prudent financial move to put that $40+ a week into an asset such as, hmm, a motorcycle.  (Which they don't mind you parking in the office parking as a contractor.)

So... $40 x 48 weeks = ~$2k a year, x 3 = $6k.

What do we reckon would be good for office commutes at $6k plus a bit extra deposit...?

It's not far, (ASB in Corinthian Dr in Albany), could probably walk it at a stretch.  Too short to be cycle commute with any benefit (which is why I'd need a motorcycle, obviously.)

I've been tinkering with the idea of DR650, but they just don't appeal to me for some reason.  Plus why buy ox-wagon tech?  If you gonna do that, buy an XT 500 (which does appeal, enormously.)

Edit: although I'm also thinking that it might be a good excuse for a touring bike (bicycle) (need luggage rack for laptop bag, y'know) as I have eyes on Tour Aotearoa...)

Edited by davetapson

2 hours ago, davetapson said:

Seems we're going to be going back the office over time. Being a contractor, I don't get office parking so will have to park on the road, at $1/hr.

Now, some might think this is a bad thing, but I'm thinking it would be a prudent financial move to put that $40+ a week into an asset such as, hmm, a motorcycle.  (Which they don't mind you parking in the office parking as a contractor.)

What do we reckon would be good for office commutes at $6k plus a bit extra deposit...?

It's not far, (ASB in Corinthian Dr in Albany), could probably walk it at a stretch.  Too short to be cycle commute with any benefit (which is why I'd need a motorcycle, obviously.)

I've been tinkering with the idea of DR650, but they just don't appeal to me for some reason.  Plus why buy ox-wagon tech?  If you gonna do that, buy an XT 500 (which does appeal, enormously.)

Edit: although I'm also thinking that it might be a good excuse for a touring bike (bicycle) (need luggage rack for laptop bag, y'know) as I have eyes on Tour Aotearoa...)

I recently sold a LAMS YAmaha MT-03. It was perfect for this sort of thing. Cheap as chips to run and nimble to park. Because of the huge and constant demand for LAMS bikes, I sold it after 8 months and only lost $500 on it from buying new.

Also had a BMW GS310 but that was a little bigger to move around. The Yamaha was the easiest. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266197078968189/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Af4f81093-9b7c-4ac7-ae71-b65a69dc2e24

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

2 hours ago, davetapson said:

9 minutes ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

I recently sold a LAMS YAmaha MT-03. It was perfect for this sort of thing. Cheap as chips to run and nimble to park. Because of the huge and constant demand for LAMS bikes, I sold it after 8 months and only lost $500 on it from buying new.

Also had a BMW GS310 but that was a little bigger to move around. The Yamaha was the easiest. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/266197078968189/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Af4f81093-9b7c-4ac7-ae71-b65a69dc2e24

+1 on something like an MT-03 for commuting.

Another 2 options, a little more than your parking bill, but budgets are made for stretching, right?!

Being a Husky fan I'd also consider a Svartpilen 401. Will also be light and nimble, plus you could gravel-road it on those tekkies.

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/husqvarna/svartpilen-401/999611795/

Alternatively a Katoom 390 Adventure

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/KTM/390 Adventure/999609021/

29 minutes ago, patches said:

+1 on something like an MT-03 for commuting.

Another 2 options, a little more than your parking bill, but budgets are made for stretching, right?!

Being a Husky fan I'd also consider a Svartpilen 401. Will also be light and nimble, plus you could gravel-road it on those tekkies.

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/husqvarna/svartpilen-401/999611795/

Alternatively a Katoom 390 Adventure

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/KTM/390 Adventure/999609021/

Oof that Svartpilen is gorgeous. Bit of a giggle at the name though.

Hmm.

I buy the MT-03 for it's utility, but I'm a sit-up-and-beg kind of guy.

Check the repayment for SwartP1el... you'd think Google had been listening.

image.png.dd0242abeb7d091b567d8f586d55cd70.png

You need to be careful what you Google these days...

image.png.413f22cd35870170441f5e9db753da71.png

Hmmm... pretty....

image.png.683a0023a6349b0c053862c32410df74.png

Edited by davetapson

4 hours ago, davetapson said:

Another pro .... your petrol and running costs will be way less ... I would imagine the insurance won't be hectic either.

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

Another pro .... your petrol and running costs will be way less ... I would imagine the insurance won't be hectic either.

The Registration is stupidly expensive. ACC levies and all.

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

I pay about $60pm for comprehensive on my Husky, insured for about $15k including the upgrades.

Fuel is about $2.80/L for 95 and the above-mentioned bikes will be a fair bit more frugal than my enduro bike.

27 minutes ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Yup! those are the kickers! A bit over $400/year. I go month-to-month as I may put on hold if I can foresee myself not using the bike for 3 months.

Which reminds me... I need to renew for May 😅

Separate topic.

MY family are really into outdoor escape room type games. Its pretty cool running around the CBD looking for clues to mysteries and so on and learning more about the city. We recently did one through a company in Auckland and had a great time.

I see this event is coming to Auckland and it looks like a lot of fun - they even have a 50% off code so the whole experience is only $60 for 6 adults and as many kids as you can muster. Quite a deal.

https://www.cluedupp.com/products/alice-auckland

Anyone on here looking to purchase a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar? I have a mate that has asked me to help sell it and he wants a pretty low price for it...Thought I might offer it here before putting it on Facebook Marketplace. I think his lowest price was $750 which is a pretty good deal for the Por Solar version.

4 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

I wonder if it will make a diffs on life insurance policies?