New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

9 hours ago, patches said:

Can't say I've seen many platform-type towbar-mounted racks around the parkinglots at the local trails (Woodwill, Riverhead etc).

Most Kiwis seem to run either roof (or ute tray) mounted carriers or the kiwi classic... the bull horns

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7CATN9M3/title/4-bike-rack-mk3

image.png.f8f55879a6dfdd06588ba80e36936803.png

Coupled with these

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7CAPN5BKRA/title/bungy-kit-10-pack---red

image.png.6dabca2936fb0f590fd4a0a659c48b3e.png

I myself run Thule roof mounted carriers, but I have scabbed many a lift with friends running the bull horns, including a few Rotorua trips (3hr drive) with 3 enduro bikes, strapped on with the toggle bungies, no worries mate!

Not the flashest and will likely result in some scuffs over time, but gets the job done.

However platform racks are a lot less chaotic and less creativity is required when securing bikes, so probably a better all-round option. The ones listed should be fine.

Also a side note, buying Thule racks from car dealerships can be way cheaper. For instance, VW (and Volvo) sell re-branded Thule racks, manufactured for them.

Same racks, but over $100 off if you're willing to have VW branding in stead of Thule. (I put black tape over it 😅)

image.png.4ac682081b3f81d50fb29a0ca22532af.png

Might be worth checking with the car dealers if they have something similar for platform racks.

What are legalities around those bullhorn racks wrt to covering the lights and plate? Would they require a numberboard and is it policed at all.

8 hours ago, patches said:

For all the Aucklanders on here... not as well publicised as one would have thought, but the WRC is in town, and there's some sort of opening event in the Auckland Domain this evening.

https://www.wrc.com/en/championship/calendar/wrc/rally-new-zealand/overview/

image.png.68bf956ea63d8aad494a9192719fa274.png

image.png.40917584b7c9793cbb0786b7f24e1914.png

I work right next door at the hospital so may pop down for a look.

Already got whatsapp videos this morning from my mate, WRC downtown in Auckland this afternoon. EPIC!!!!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

What are legalities around those bullhorn racks wrt to covering the lights and plate? Would they require a numberboard and is it policed at all.

Already got whatsapp videos this morning from my mate, WRC downtown in Auckland this afternoon. EPIC!!!!

I think from a strictly legal point the plate should be visible. if not, a secondary plate should be displayed. However, when looking through the Woodhill parking lot, I reckon only 1 in 15-20 vehicles with these racks has a secondary plate. Most Kiwis don't bother and I don't think the police care too much.

Edited by patches

4 hours ago, patches said:

I think from a strictly legal point the plate should be visible. if not, a secondary plate should be displayed. However, when looking through the Woodhill parking lot, I reckon only 1 in 15-20 vehicles with these racks has a secondary plate. Most Kiwis don't bother and I don't think the police care too much.

You can order a supplementary plate for $30 plus a few bucks extra for a buckle clip holder that you clip on to your bike.

Please note my black Specialized Chisel MTB was stolen today between 0900 ans 1450 at the Constellation bus station, North Shore. Please be on the lookout for my baby. 

At the police station at the moment. 

Byron

20220928_122954.pdf

On 10/7/2022 at 4:30 AM, ByronH said:

Please note my black Specialized Chisel MTB was stolen today between 0900 ans 1450 at the Constellation bus station, North Shore. Please be on the lookout for my baby. 

At the police station at the moment. 

Byron

Sorry to hear, was it tied up at the station, the time seems quite long. Curious to hear the circumstances.......

Hi Steven. Yes I arrived there at 0810 to catch the Northern Express to work. I arrived back at the bus station at 1500 after work to no bike 😑

It was chained up with my Giant Cable lock...  I have recently learnt via YouTube videos, that bicycle cable locks are notoriously easy to steal... in fact there are videos that 'show' how to break and pick bicycle locks... and it takes less than a minute in most cases. Unless your bike lock is rated as Gold or Silver by Sold Safe. 

I think I was naive to think that my lock wouldn't have been tampered with,  because it's NZ and not SA, and because the bike stands are in plain sight... on the pedestrian crossing going into the station... it's not like they tucked away or anything 🤔

The police and the bus station people then indicated it happens fairly regularly!

So I'm curious to see the outcomes of the CCTV footage investigation which they have embarked on. But that takes 10 working days... 

I'm flipping livid because I customized the bike a lot, with a lot of quality SA parts. Anyways, my eyes have been opened to the rampant world of bike theft and actually how easy it is to break a bike lock unfortunately. 

My next bike lock will be Gold or Diamond secure at a minimum because that buys a few minutes, and the thief needs pretty big or noisy tools to break it. And I'll carry my front wheel with me on the bus. 

1 hour ago, ByronH said:

Hi Steven. Yes I arrived there at 0810 to catch the Northern Express to work. I arrived back at the bus station at 1500 after work to no bike 😑

It was chained up with my Giant Cable lock...  I have recently learnt via YouTube videos, that bicycle cable locks are notoriously easy to steal... in fact there are videos that 'show' how to break and pick bicycle locks... and it takes less than a minute in most cases. Unless your bike lock is rated as Gold or Silver by Sold Safe. 

I think I was naive to think that my lock wouldn't have been tampered with,  because it's NZ and not SA, and because the bike stands are in plain sight... on the pedestrian crossing going into the station... it's not like they tucked away or anything 🤔

The police and the bus station people then indicated it happens fairly regularly!

So I'm curious to see the outcomes of the CCTV footage investigation which they have embarked on. But that takes 10 working days... 

I'm flipping livid because I customized the bike a lot, with a lot of quality SA parts. Anyways, my eyes have been opened to the rampant world of bike theft and actually how easy it is to break a bike lock unfortunately. 

My next bike lock will be Gold or Diamond secure at a minimum because that buys a few minutes, and the thief needs pretty big or noisy tools to break it. And I'll carry my front wheel with me on the bus. 

Wonder where they end up, here it is often across the border but I think a lot are parted out and sold on FB marketplace or the like.
may create a few alerts on TradeMe, FB, etc.
Sorry to hear, suppose the problem is not a rampant that side of the world but at the end of the day people are people hey!!

Any Aucklanders braved Costco yet?

I had a gander on my way home from work last week.

Sure, it wasn't the same as Costco in the US, and not all the prices were great, however the range was pretty decent and definitely some bargains to be had.

My find of the day was the Brazilian cheese breads

image.png.fa9c0b606c10e0d2f1a2df87eeafec05.png

Available in nearly every Coles, Woolies or Aldi in Aus, but I've never seen them in NZ. Highly recommend for anyone who hasn't tried them, and they're Coeliac approved so MUST be healthy 😅

And in slightly more serious news (although Brazilian cheese breads are legit), I'm guessing the potential migrants here have seen that Skilled Migrant and Parental Resident Visas are reopening.

The 3yrs delay (partially due to Covid and partially due to an "overhaul" of the system), is a bit of a joke, as they have just rehashed a slightly different version of what they had before.

A mixed bag with some good and bad... 2500 Parental Visas processed/year (vs the 1000 they stated for the "new" system which got instantly paused 3 years ago)... but only 500 of those will be new EOI's from a ballot system (aka lucky-dip). 2000 will be them trying to get through the backlog, which will take 3-4 years.

Anyway, I think they (being the government) have finally learned that they desperately need skilled labour, they need to make it more pragmatic and offer some incentives (like quicker pathways to residency allowing or the ability for that imported talent to bring their parents over). Overall, it's good news.

Any Aucklanders braved Costco yet?

I had a gander on my way home from work last week.

Sure, it wasn't the same as Costco in the US, and not all the prices were great, however the range was pretty decent and definitely some bargains to be had.

My find of the day was the Brazilian cheese breads

image.png.fa9c0b606c10e0d2f1a2df87eeafec05.png

Available in nearly every Coles, Woolies or Aldi in Aus, but I've never seen them in NZ. Highly recommend for anyone who hasn't tried them, and they're Coeliac approved so MUST be healthy 😅

We have a fairly easy recipe to make these. Crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside, especially eating them straight out of the oven!!!!

And in slightly more serious news (although Brazilian cheese breads are legit), I'm guessing the potential migrants here have seen that Skilled Migrant and Parental Resident Visas are reopening.

The 3yrs delay (partially due to Covid and partially due to an "overhaul" of the system), is a bit of a joke, as they have just rehashed a slightly different version of what they had before.

A mixed bag with some good and bad... 2500 Parental Visas processed/year (vs the 1000 they stated for the "new" system which got instantly paused 3 years ago)... but only 500 of those will be new EOI's from a ballot system (aka lucky-dip). 2000 will be them trying to get through the backlog, which will take 3-4 years.

Anyway, I think they (being the government) have finally learned that they desperately need skilled labour, they need to make it more pragmatic and offer some incentives (like quicker pathways to residency allowing or the ability for that imported talent to bring their parents over). Overall, it's good news.

Good news indeed, it does seem like there is a bit of turn but will it stick and how will the approvals be going forward. Lets see........

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a few years of casual cycling and a stronger focus on running, I may have bought myself a new birthday present which will require more dedication to cycling.

Thankfully my new running coach is a monster triathlete and is incorporating more cycling into my program.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-31 at 9.14.18 AM.jpeg

10 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Well, after a few years of casual cycling and a stronger focus on running, I may have bought myself a new birthday present which will require more dedication to cycling.

Thankfully my new running coach is a monster triathlete and is incorporating more cycling into my program.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-31 at 9.14.18 AM.jpeg

Very nice, like the trail pedals..... or look like they are.