New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hayley...

I drove passed your future offices this morning on my way in.

They look pretty cool!

Coooooool  :clap:

A lady from there phoned me again last night to speak me through immigration things. Man they are 'kitted/sorted out'. 

She told me also they are on a 44 acres land with a lake in the middle. That they are on average immigrating 40-50 people/families a year currently!  :eek:  At this moment this lady is also assisting another couple from SA, I wonder who they are...

Went for my finger prints yesterday for that police clearance form - wow that was a horrible situation. Felt more scared inside the police station than outside it. Some dodgy cops there.

Medical tomorrow.

Then visa application - the lady said they are processing most in 4 weeks these days.

Wayne, do you know of a storage place close to our areas (my work and around because that is obviously where I'll look for a place to rent) I can store a bed and a few small items (like food processor, vacuum etc)? I need to give a shipping address to the shipping people wanting to do the quote.

Also, what has everyone else done regarding:

medical aid

pension funds (I am thinking of staying with what I have at PPS for the moment - my work pension fund I will have to take everything from and don't know what I am going to do with that)

insurances (car if bought there, house hold goods, bikes, etc)

The lady last night asked me where (area) I want to be placed in for the 1st 4 weeks - she somehow wanted to put me in the city center as she said in her kiwi accent "nice bars and going out options" and I just replied "i would prefer closer to the outskirts where the MTB trails are thanks"....she laughed.

Like I told a friend last night - I don't want to get tooooo excited YET because everything is still so unreal. How it all happened (fell in my lap) and I just have a feeling something might just go wrong (the pessimist in me I guess)  :blush:

Coooooool :clap:

A lady from there phoned me again last night to speak me through immigration things. Man they are 'kitted/sorted out'.

She told me also they are on a 44 acres land with a lake in the middle. That they are on average immigrating 40-50 people/families a year currently! :eek: At this moment this lady is also assisting another couple from SA, I wonder who they are...

Went for my finger prints yesterday for that police clearance form - wow that was a horrible situation. Felt more scared inside the police station than outside it. Some dodgy cops there.

Medical tomorrow.

Then visa application - the lady said they are processing most in 4 weeks these days.

Wayne, do you know of a storage place close to our areas (my work and around because that is obviously where I'll look for a place to rent) I can store a bed and a few small items (like food processor, vacuum etc)? I need to give a shipping address to the shipping people wanting to do the quote.

medical aid

pension funds (I am thinking of staying with what I have at PPS for the moment - my work pension fund I will have to take everything from and don't know what I am going to do with that)

The lady last night asked me where (area) I want to be placed in for the 1st 4 weeks - she somehow wanted to put me in the city center as she said in her kiwi accent "nice bars and going out options" and I just replied "i would prefer closer to the outskirts where the MTB trails are thanks"....she laughed.

Like I told a friend last night - I don't want to get tooooo excited YET because everything is still so unreal. How it all happened (fell in my lap) and I just have a feeling something might just go wrong (the pessimist in me I guess) :blush:

I have a spare room you can use for storing stuff.

I will pm you the address.

I just got my IRD Number (Income Tax Number).

I applied yesterday (less than 24hrs ago). I queued for approx 5min at Inland Revenue. They just phoned me now to tell me what my number is.

Pretty impressive!

WTF? i applied on the 21/3 and am not even listed as yet. Phoned them today and they said it can take up to 20 days.

I have a spare room you can use for storing stuff.

I will pm you the address.

Can you believe this oke. If the world was half full of people like this we wouldnt be having so much ***. Wayne I hope I can meet you one day and  have the privilege to shake your hand.

Can you believe this oke. If the world was half full of people like this we wouldnt be having so much ***. Wayne I hope I can meet you one day and have the privilege to shake your hand.

Nah...i am not a nice guy. I just want to use her food processor.

[emoji48] [emoji48] [emoji48]

Nah...i am not a nice guy. I just want to use her food processor.

[emoji48] [emoji48] [emoji48]

That machine helps me bake lekker cakes and banana breads too :D

When is your kids birthdays? I will bake them creative cakes when I am there  ^_^

*can't believe I have put it on the hub that I bake*  :blush:

That machine helps me bake lekker cakes and banana breads too :D

When is your kids birthdays? I will bake them creative cakes when I am there  ^_^

*can't believe I have put it on the hub that I bake*  :blush:

i have a birthday coming up!!! in NZ

Coooooool  :clap:

She told me also they are on a 44 acres land with a lake in the middle. That they are on average immigrating 40-50 people/families a year currently!  :eek:  At this moment this lady is also assisting another couple from SA, I wonder who they are...

Medical tomorrow.

medical aid

Like I told a friend last night - I don't want to get tooooo excited YET because everything is still so unreal. How it all happened (fell in my lap) and I just have a feeling something might just go wrong (the pessimist in me I guess)  :blush:

Yo Hayley,

Re your other stuff.

Med aid - can it. You're still young enough and have enough history with med aid that if you DO decide to come back within the next 10 years, you won't be open to any late joiner penalties. 

Pension - put it into a preserver. NOT with PPS, as they charge far more than what the likes of Allan Gray / Coronation / Investec would charge from a fee perspective. Chat to a broker (or drop me a line if you want) to get it sorted out, or you could do the whole thing yourself online and with the forms that you get from your HR department after you leave (transfer request form and so on) and then Allan Gray will deal with it for you. If you draw the whole amount out it WILL be taxed. If you transfer it to a preserver, it won't, and you always have the option of drawing it at a later stage if you need to. 

RA - Given that you'll (probably) be stopping the contributions to the RA, you will most probably have a paid-up penalty (all the life insurance companies do this on their investments, which is why I steer well clear of them) but I'd generally suggest transferring to Allan Gray / Coro / Investec, who are FAR cheaper. As in MUCH. Even with my 1% advice fee factored in, they're generally 2.5-3% p/a more expensive than the likes of the investment houses. 

Insurances over there - speak to a broker, or again Wayne & Intern should be able to point you in the right direction.

Give me a shout if you want any assistance. 

Yo Hayley,

Re your other stuff.

Med aid - can it. You're still young enough and have enough history with med aid that if you DO decide to come back within the next 10 years, you won't be open to any late joiner penalties. 

Pension - put it into a preserver. NOT with PPS, as they charge far more than what the likes of Allan Gray / Coronation / Investec would charge from a fee perspective. Chat to a broker (or drop me a line if you want) to get it sorted out, or you could do the whole thing yourself online and with the forms that you get from your HR department after you leave (transfer request form and so on) and then Allan Gray will deal with it for you. If you draw the whole amount out it WILL be taxed. If you transfer it to a preserver, it won't, and you always have the option of drawing it at a later stage if you need to. 

RA - Given that you'll (probably) be stopping the contributions to the RA, you will most probably have a paid-up penalty (all the life insurance companies do this on their investments, which is why I steer well clear of them) but I'd generally suggest transferring to Allan Gray / Coro / Investec, who are FAR cheaper. As in MUCH. Even with my 1% advice fee factored in, they're generally 2.5-3% p/a more expensive than the likes of the investment houses. 

Insurances over there - speak to a broker, or again Wayne & Intern should be able to point you in the right direction.

Give me a shout if you want any assistance. 

Huh...you reading wrong. I mean that side. All my questions were for that side.

Medical aid not necessary if you have a 2 year or longer visa. Everything is pretty free. Maybe a small dental policy if you have bad teeth.

Kiwisaver is the biggest pension plan. You tell your company how much to deduct. 3, 4 or 8 %. Some companies contribute as well. But you can only join kiwisaver once you have residency.

As for other investments...we can have that chat over dinner.

i have a birthday coming up!!! in NZ

Which area you guys going to be based?

Flip, soon we can arrange hub rides in Auckland like we did in JHB....hahaha