New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Just done a quick check: since 1840, a total of around 480 people have died in earthquakes in NZ. There are around 20 000 tremors per year...and the news has reported that this one was the biggest in the North Island since 1995. Yoh.

Edgecumbe, up the road from me, had a biggie in 1987 which ruptured roads and knocked rolling stock off the rails (no fatalities)....

Approx 480 people die on Sa roads every 2 days... :o

Suddenly Nz's earthquake issues doesn't seem quite as ominous as I previously thought.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone feel the big shake near gizzie?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Again some this morning......

Went a bit further north than Auckland this weekend.

Looks like the Palm Beach (well apart from the Opera House). I'm a few beaches and several tax brackets south.

Looks like the Palm Beach (well apart from the Opera House). I'm a few beaches and several tax brackets south.

Yup, that's spot on.

First pic was taken in Manly.

Next 2 from Palm beach (did the walk up to the lighthouse),

My first trip to Sydney (apart from a layover on my way to Christchurch in March). Stayed in Frenchs Forest. Great weather this past weekend!

Edited by patches

So who from here is going back to SA soonest (for a visit of course)?

I will be going to SA in December for a visit. I recon it is going to be good to see SA from NZ perspective.

So who from here is going back to SA soonest (for a visit of course)?

I was there around this time last year, to visit my sick dad and attend my sister's wedding. I won't be going back again for the foreseeable future, unless there's a family emergency.

My wife and daughter are going to visit for 3 weeks this December though - it will be their first time back since we left at the end of 2013. We had my wife's folks here to visit last year though, and we'll probably fly my mom out to NZ for a visit some time next year.

I've not been back since we left in Jan 2011; sent my wife and kids over for 3 weeks earlier this year. I am overdue for a visit that side...