Bad chain setup by LBS destroys 947 ride

Kevin Corfield

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanx for all the advise and yes I agree that I should not have made changes the week before (rookie mistake but wanted to do it on the road bike), however coming from a mountain bike to the road bike (managed to get the road bike at a really good price) 3 weeks before the cycle challenge I was really concerned I would not get up the hills with the 11-25 (Did the Midvaal 80k and went to granny gear there). I did take this under consultation with Graham & was advised that the 11-28 would fit fine and that the chain did not require replacement. I did two rides of approx. 50k's in total prior to the cycle challenge with the 11-28 and it worked fine.

I will learn how to change the cassette with the correct tools going forward but felt that seen it was so close to the event I should leave it to the PRO's.

I plan to take the bike back to the cycle hub to do a post mortem as to what went wrong.

Yes Mojoman I did finish - thankyou & really liked the 11-28 ratio

Thanx for all the advise and yes I agree that I should not have made changes the week before (rookie mistake but wanted to do it on the road bike), however coming from a mountain bike to the road bike (managed to get the road bike at a really good price) 3 weeks before the cycle challenge I was really concerned I would not get up the hills with the 11-25 (Did the Midvaal 80k and went to granny gear there). I did take this under consultation with Graham & was advised that the 11-28 would fit fine and that the chain did not require replacement. I did two rides of approx. 50k's in total prior to the cycle challenge with the 11-28 and it worked fine.

I will learn how to change the cassette with the correct tools going forward but felt that seen it was so close to the event I should leave it to the PRO's.

I plan to take the bike back to the cycle hub to do a post mortem as to what went wrong.

So long as you finished....

Sorry I did not reply earlier - had family really ill & admitted to hospital so haven't been focused here at all.

UrbanRoyal I am really interested in you saying it must be SRAM. Is this a common problem with SRAM?

Thank you Mojoman. Would have been a real bummer to not have :clap:

To all you guys with positive feedback thank you - I will learn as this is only my second 947 - last year was on the mountain bike.

Ok so you finished, Well done.

If the bike had 50k on it after the cassette was fitted and it worked fine, then the problem must have occurred enroute to the ride.

How do you transport your bike Kevin? On a rack or do you take the wheels off and shove it in the boot/hatch?

(UrbanRoyal I am really interested in you saying it must be SRAM. Is this a common problem with SRAM? )

The problem with Sram is the clueless twat with the screwdriver in his hand standing 

next to the bike stand .

There is nothing wrong with the brand or its products .

Hi Kevin, as you have noticed by now we have some real grumpy cyclists in our fraternity, for that I do apologise. Like many have mentioned, it generally isn't a good idea to to work on your stead close to an event. don't worry bud, the same thing happened to me a year ago and believe me, its gonna happen to many more. funjunkie's advice wrapped it up pretty good above.

oh, and welcome to the hub :rolleyes:

Thanx Sparki1 - yeh have been attacked quite a bit, however will survive and grow.

My LBS always take my bike for a test ride... and so do I...

My LBS definitely did not take the bike for a test ride - I was there the whole time.

Ok so you finished, Well done.

If the bike had 50k on it after the cassette was fitted and it worked fine, then the problem must have occurred enroute to the ride.

How do you transport your bike Kevin? On a rack or do you take the wheels off and shove it in the boot/hatch?

Hi Kevin. I'm also interested to know the answer to this question please.

Ok wait...

So you did 2 rides before the event, on the 28, and everything was fine...?

Then at the event, you had problems, and now Graham's an A$$ whole...?

Did he sneak into your garage the night before and muck about with your bike...?

If he didn't touch your bike between the time that it was fine, till the time that it wasn't, then how the hell does it have anything to do with him...?

Unless he's leading a double life and is actually Dynamo...

My LBS definitely did not take the bike for a test ride - I was there the whole time.

Ah......so not just did you go and put pressure on them in a pressured week......you also sat and watched him like a hawk.......why did you not ride it straight after he was done ?

You rant should turn in to an apology.........Monday blues with a sun beaten and tired body.......a rant thread whilst feeling grumpy and angry with the world......it never equals in to anything good .

Kevin,

Your dérailleur cage was probably bent while transporting your bike or something like that but definitely not related to anything the shop did.

It seems you were frustrated in the moment and got carried away with your rant here.

Up to you to fix the situation now. No reason it can't be turned around with an apology, we all make mistakes.

(UrbanRoyal I am really interested in you saying it must be SRAM. Is this a common problem with SRAM? )

The problem with Sram is the clueless twat with the screwdriver in his hand standing 

next to the bike stand .

There is nothing wrong with the brand or its products .

A Sram FD is not the easiest one on the market to set up. I say that after having had quite a few difficult ones through my workshop, both road and mtb.

That said any of the main brand component suppliers have their positives and negatives so I wouldn't slate the brand as a whole.

Hi Kevin. I'm also interested to know the answer to this question please.

Hi, it is transported on a Buzz-Rack (very carefully) - some more info if it helps. The bike was fine for the first 40k's then the chain came off down towards Empire road - I managed to get it back on by changing between the front gears without having to get off the bike. Thereafter it sounded as if it was between gears at the rear (very noisy)

Hi, it is transported on a Buzz-Rack (very carefully) - some more info if it helps. The bike was fine for the first 40k's then the chain came off down towards Empire road - I managed to get it back on by changing between the front gears without having to get off the bike. Thereafter it sounded as if it was between gears at the rear (very noisy)

Again, how is this the fault of your LBS...?

You have said yourself that it was working fine on the 2 pre-947 rides, and for the 1st 40km of the race. Would it have been his fault if you had punctured too...?

You sound like one customer they can actually do without...

Try Cajees down in Alberton...

Is it still doing this now when you ride it? (Assuming you have taken it for a ride since of course) Sounds like something may have come loose mid ride then.

Probably best to get through to Graham as he has stated he is eager to understand the issue too. Graham certainly sounds sincere about wanting to do the right thing and much of what you have described thusfar could certainly not be regarded as negligent service or approach from his shop. As a community we're eager to see good experiences come from each of these interactions, especially once they go public!

Archived