Bad chain setup by LBS destroys 947 ride

Kevin Corfield

Yeh I agree that I was upset and should not have ranted on this forum and especially named & shamed The Cycle Hub - sorry about that -  but the positive is I have learned a lot from you guys..

Can't wait to see what actually caused the problem when I take the bike to be checked.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh I agree that I was upset and should not have ranted on this forum and especially named & shamed The Cycle Hub - sorry about that -  but the positive is I have learned a lot from you guys..

Can't wait to see what actually caused the problem when I take the bike to be checked.

No worries dude!

Remember to edit your posts and tone down the stronger worded pieces. Anyone reading the entire thread will be able to follow what has happened thusfar, but not everyone does this! Also please don't forget to post the conclusion of this saga as that is the least you can do to make right with Cycle Hub and Graham for the way in which he has been prepared to accomodate this issue for you specifically! (This kind of service and approach is rare if we look through similar interactions! Hope you see the value in this!)

I know I am coming in at the tail end of this, but I always wondered how the TDF mechanics manage to set the bikes up from scratch with the cabling and gear settings, then the guys go out and ride a stage.

I have never been able to do this, always ride with alan keys for a ride or two (doing 150 kays) making small adjustments before I am happy with it.

I have seen the local mechanics riding around the car park, this isn't the same as a couple of hours on the bike.

No worries dude!

Remember to edit your posts and tone down the stronger worded pieces. Anyone reading the entire thread will be able to follow what has happened thusfar, but not everyone does this! Also please don't forget to post the conclusion of this saga as that is the least you can do to make right with Cycle Hub and Graham for the way in which he has been prepared to accomodate this issue for you specifically! (This kind of service and approach is rare if we look through similar interactions! Hope you see the value in this!)

For sure :thumbup:

I know I am coming in at the tail end of this, but I always wondered how the TDF mechanics manage to set the bikes up from scratch with the cabling and gear settings, then the guys go out and ride a stage.

I have never been able to do this, always ride with alan keys for a ride or two (doing 150 kays) making small adjustments before I am happy with it.

I have seen the local mechanics riding around the car park, this isn't the same as a couple of hours on the bike.

When you do it as a job all day every day you get very good and learn a few tricks.

Plus most Pro's are way less fussy (exclude the prima donna's) about there bikes when compared to the fun rider and his 100k bike. As long as they can put the power to the road they happy.

They also used to riding what there are given and through some terable conditions where gear settings will go out the window. (most Pro's know how to adjust there gears on the move).

Hold on you moaned about this LBS's service, yet your avatar is congratulating the bokke on a mediocre performance??!! Nee man! ;)

Hold on you moaned about this LBS's service, yet your avatar is congratulating the bokke on a mediocre performance??!! Nee man! ;)

He probably appreciates how hard it is to get that far stuck in second gear.

sorry will change that :blush:

My son's SRAM Rival does it sometimes.  I have still not found the real cause of the problem.  Happens in the longer races.  Works fine first 60kms, then goes bad after that. I have shown him how to adjust the shifting with the barrel nut until I can get him a proper groupset.  :whistling:

I think we should end the car metaphors about now...

Being busy is no excuse for lowering your standards - if I asked you (presumably not a bike shop mechanic) to swap a cassette for me, what would you do by default after fitting it? Give it back as is or check the gears still work properly?

I just can't get my head around the primary response on this thread being - I know my bike shop is incompetent so I check everything and fix it after paying them to do the work. I generally do my own work so this is just a principle thing...

I totally agree with you. I sent my carbon wheel to my lbs to have a tubbie glued on. I was assured it had been done. I tugged a little to check and guess what? It rolled off.

Imagine if I had not checked what the first high-speed corner would have looked like?

In the nicest possible way, if I was the Bike shop guy that has been slated by the OP who has now admitted his mistake, I would tell him where to shove his damn bike and offer to shove it for him. Small business is difficult enough without people thoughtlessly slagging you off on a public forum without giving accurate information.

It's difficult to speculate post race. I find it interesting that it worked for the first 40kms and then started giving hassles. Did you by any chance spill some of your energy drink on to the frame? The stickiness plus any dust etc sticking to it could have inhibited the movement of the cable on that little plate under the frame.

Has happened to.me before

Yeah. What gets me is when someone comes on here, rants and "names and shames" (in his mind anyways) an LBS (or stereotypes a segment of cycling) and then disappears. What do they expect to accomplish?

99,99% of rants are subjective and emotional. O crap, this is a rant....

[emoji23][emoji36]

He wanted to win the Y bunch, but could only manage 84th place..?

Sorry I did not reply earlier - had family really ill & admitted to hospital so haven't been focused here at all.

UrbanRoyal I am really interested in you saying it must be SRAM. Is this a common problem with SRAM?

Thank you Mojoman. Would have been a real bummer to not have :clap:

To all you guys with positive feedback thank you - I will learn as this is only my second 947 - last year was on the mountain bike.

LOL. ..nothing wrong with it Bro. ..just yanking your chain....????????????

Archived