Bad chain setup by LBS destroys 947 ride

Kevin Corfield

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kevin, as you have noticed by now we have some real grumpy cyclists in our fraternity, for that I do apologise. Like many have mentioned, it generally isn't a good idea to to work on your stead close to an event. don't worry bud, the same thing happened to me a year ago and believe me, its gonna happen to many more. funjunkie's advice wrapped it up pretty good above.

oh, and welcome to the hub :rolleyes:

I think Kevin was too cheap to replace the chain....

See it all the time at a lbs. Customer thinks he / she is being ripped off and declines a new chain. Then they back two days later irate and demanding immediate attention because the service didn't fix anything that wasn't broken in the first place.

Note to mods. Can we have a complaint box section. Just so I know where not to click

Just putting it out there

yip exactly this...

Kevin walks into the lbs...says he wants to change his cassette...which the lbs did. Received the bike and didn't test the new setup.

Come race day, things start going wrong, and now its the lbs fault.

Here is the reality though:

Kev shouldn't have altered his setup before a race...

Kev should have tested the new setup after he got his bike back if he wanted to do it anyway...

Kev should have asked for a new chain to match his new cassette at said lbs.

The only problem I see with the lbs here is maybe they should have given the bike a spin after the cassette swop and informed kev of the slippage and ask him what he wants to do about it. But then again, it was probably in the 94.7 week so time in a lbs is limited and they did what the job card required as specified by Kev...Change the cassette.

So here is the brightside kev...you will never be in this situation again if you make a chain whip from said moertoe chain, buy a cassette lockring remover and make a chain wear guide from an old ruler. will cost less than 200 bucks and hence forth you can do your own swapping and measuring to determine when it is the right time to replace chain or chain and cassette combo.

Kevin seems awfully quite. Another one of those guys that comes onto bike hub just to rant about what they thought was the worst situation ever. Yes, I would feel hard done by but my word check the bike beforehand, Don't just assume its hundreds. I washed my bike on Saturday morning and then still went for a quick 10km ride just to make sure all was ok. I pump my tyres the night before but guess what, My pump still goes with and I check my tyres at the venue.

I hope Kevin doesn't have a dual sus mtb, Because man that requires regular checking.

Baaa humbug...

Everyone lecturing the op about testing his bike...duh ja yes of course us wise old farts who have been cycling for eons know this seemingly obvious step (how did we learn this ? :eek: ).... BUT

Fact is the OP paid for a part to be replaced and the LBS should have tested the bike for possible issues related to the replacement of the part (incorrect chain length and slipping due to potential chain wear) and informed the owner of any issues BEFORE he paid and took delivery.

Of course this all depends on what caused the actual problem, we all ASSuming the problems on the front end of the drive chain are related to a new cassette being installed...it could be something else...FD bumped / bent during transit to the event or or or....

Lets see what the LBS has to say...ping LBS... that's your cue 

I'll be back (Arnie voice) in 20 pages to see if LBS responds with his version

Mine came of 4 times all on climbs and the 1st 3.8km in race. Racing in V means you lose your group.

I am changing th FD and getting a chain cather beforw going DI2.

Baaa humbug...

Everyone lecturing the op about testing his bike...duh ja yes of course us wise old farts who have been cycling for eons know this seemingly obvious step (how did we learn this ? :eek: ).... BUT

Fact is the OP paid for a part to be replaced and the LBS should have tested the bike for possible issues related to the replacement of the part (incorrect chain length and slipping due to potential chain wear) and informed the owner of any issues BEFORE he paid and took delivery.

Of course this all depends on what caused the actual problem, we all ASSuming the problems on the front end of the drive chain are related to a new cassette being installed...it could be something else...FD bumped / bent during transit to the event or or or....

Lets see what the LBS has to say...ping LBS... that's your cue 

I'll be back (Arnie voice) in 20 pages to see if LBS responds with his version

You are too rational for a Monday :ph34r: , but I agree, bike should have been tested by LBS but would like to hear their version as well.

It's amazing how many hubbers check their spark plugs are tight, oil levels are right, windscreen wipers are fitted properly etc after servicing their cars! When you replace your car tyres, do they offer to balance them at the same time (answer = yes)? Do you need to ask them to inflate the tyres or do they do that by default as a related task? Why expect less from a LBS that charges more than a car mechanic?

You check the work on your bike is done as we have come to accept average service levels and know there will be issues with it - a newbie should be secure that the shop knows more than they do, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

You are too rational for a Monday :ph34r: , but I agree, bike should have been tested by LBS but would like to hear their version as well.

I'm officially unemployed so there are no Mondays...every day is Saturday or Friday :whistling:

I don't even want to top up with Stans ahead of the Origin of Trails because I don't want to fiddle with my bike. OP, didn't you perhaps knock the RD in transit? LBS could have done a better job, however I will never leave a service for late, I like getting in a couple of rides before an important event.

Another thing....

IF we all did not "do stuff" to our bikes in the week / day before a race the LBS's would be bankrot and have no work during their traditional busiest time.... #justsaying

It's amazing how many hubbers check their spark plugs are tight, oil levels are right, windscreen wipers are fitted properly etc after servicing their cars! When you replace your car tyres, do they offer to balance them at the same time (answer = yes)? Do you need to ask them to inflate the tyres or do they do that by default as a related task? Why expect less from a LBS that charges more than a car mechanic?

You check the work on your bike is done as we have come to accept average service levels and know there will be issues with it - a newbie should be secure that the shop knows more than they do, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

That's true, but a bicycle has finer tolerances than a car.. You so much as breathe next to your bike and your gears go out. Totally different to a car.