Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Hi All

Anyone here using the discovery iphone benefit? Would like to know if you feel its worth it? I hit all 3 my goals every week.

I would also like to know exactly how it works with the payments. The way I understand it is that the take the whole amount of your credit card. Then if all goals and spending goals are reached they pay back your accounts max payment every month?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Anyone here using the discovery iphone benefit? Would like to know if you feel its worth it? I hit all 3 my goals every week.

I would also like to know exactly how it works with the payments. The way I understand it is that the take the whole amount of your credit card. Then if all goals and spending goals are reached they pay back your accounts max payment every month?

imho it is not worth it at all.  Unlike the apple watch benefit (worth it for sure), this basically you pay off on a credit card facility including high interest with the chance that you get "something" back jumping through way too many hoops.

The exercise & driving goals no problem, but it require a minimum of R2000 in your "savings account" and you need to spend R7500 (every month) on the card before you start getting anything back.

I simply paid mine off one shot because its not worth it.  You might as well buy it on any banks credit card facility.

It is not really a "benefit" rather a con to buy an expensive phone on a credit card (budget payment) and they smile all the way to the bank on the interest that you pay.

Edited by Theog

imho it is not worth it at all.  Unlike the apple watch benefit (worth it for sure), this basically you pay off on a credit card facility including high interest with the chance that you get "something" back jumping through way too many hoops.

The exercise & driving goals no problem, but it require a minimum of R2000 in your "savings account" and you need to spend R7500 (every month) on the card before you start getting anything back.

I simply paid mine off one shot because its not worth it.  You might as well buy it on any banks credit card facility.

It is not really a "benefit" rather a con to buy an expensive phone on a credit card (budget payment) and they smile all the way to the bank on the interest that you pay.

So how much do you need to spend to get the full amount back that they advertise?

Also do you perhaps know if in the budget facility they use the personalized borrow rate?

I can only give you info as per my experience, not claiming to be an expert at all.

As I have it:

1.) A balance of R2000 needs to remain in the savings account all the time.

2.) You need to spend R7500 on the discovery card for a given month before you get anything back.  That is not the same as gathering the 10 spending points that you also need to do at the same time.

3.) As far as I know, yes they do use the interest rates that you individually qualify for.

If you want to or use this as your primary account, the R7500 per month would in most cases be a non issue.  Its up to you, if you purely see it as a budget facility to buy something, then no problem.  Just be aware that if you have a different primary account and you depend on getting the premium back, you will most probably be disappointed.

Edited by Theog

im planning ons moving to the bank as my primary bank so dont think the spent should be a problem.

Im just trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to get the ‘benefit’ of just buy it ano pay off as quickly as possible.

Hitting the goals should also not be a problem

im planning ons moving to the bank as my primary bank so dont think the spent should be a problem.

Im just trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to get the ‘benefit’ of just buy it ano pay off as quickly as possible.

Hitting the goals should also not be a problem

Just keep in mind that the maximum cash-back depends on your banking suite. I, for example, only have a Platinum Credit Card, therefore I'll only receive a maximum of R500 a month back against the phone.

9WcoYUW.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all anyone know if wahoo bike computers can be synced ti discovery for points?

Probably not directly.  If you upload to Starva and link that to the Apple Helath App (assuming you have an iphone) and from there to Discovery, should work.

Edit:  I'm speculating though, never had a wahoo before, best someone that did answer.  I have a Polar V650 & Vantage V, upload to Polar Flow which is directly linked with Discovery.

Edited by TheoG

Im gonna test it before I buy one, I see you can link the wahoo app toe health aswell, so hopefulle discovery will pull through drom the health app.

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the health tests (usual blood tests and HIV) this morning. Points were allocated within 30 minutes. On the app it shows 2 out of 3 completed. Anyone know what the 3rd would be?

I completed the health tests (usual blood tests and HIV) this morning. Points were allocated within 30 minutes. On the app it shows 2 out of 3 completed. Anyone know what the 3rd would be?

Vitality age, mental health questionnaire, and the dischem / clicks health check?

Vitality age, mental health questionnaire, and the dischem / clicks health check?

All of those done. 8bb1b37d0c07e14efbb8753687cb53bb.jpg1967860af736bd45ae40a0f1e0f0feef.jpg

All of those done.

Supposedly tailored for each person. It's pretty stupid that the app doesn't tell you what the third goal is, but I bet it is the fitness assessment. Also, it doesn't say that you'll get any reward for doing the third health check, aside from the vitality points which you can get from regular exercise anyway and 40 D-miles.

Side note, and possibly why the third goal isn't showing...it looks like the fitness assessment is changing, in that you don't need to do it to increase cash back on Healthy Gear. For the new Vitality Active Gear benefit which should be coming soon, it seems like only the Health Check is required.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/gear-up-and-get-active-with-vitality

post-59129-0-39168600-1611572576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christofison

Last year was my 3rd year on gold. Needed 1200 points, which I should have easily have obtained by doing my health assessments (THis was done on the 31st)

When the new year started, I'm back to silver? I am unable to get through to vitality to query as my calls get dropped soon after verification.

This is irritating me to no end.This actuarial moving of goalposts is possibly, after leaf blowers, my second biggest first world problem gripe.

Last year was my 3rd year on gold. Needed 1200 points, which I should have easily have obtained by doing my health assessments (THis was done on the 31st)

When the new year started, I'm back to silver? I am unable to get through to vitality to query as my calls get dropped soon after verification.

This is irritating me to no end.This actuarial moving of goalposts is possibly, after leaf blowers, my second biggest first world problem gripe.

With them allocating points from 2019 due to Covid, it messed up the totals if you were doing well last year and had better results from health checks etc.

I also had a problem with a few things, was chatting to them on email but had no luck at all so eventually gave up.

Best to log a query on their website, you should get a reply in a day or 2.