Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Back to the title of the thread "Team discovery - 50% back on events" the devil is always in the detail. Reading their website be sure to understand that it is up to 50% discount, so no doubt depending on your Vitality status, the discount will vary accordingly. As rightly also pointed out, there are no details yet on what races the discount will offered on. This is TBC... and the cap on the saving of R3,000 is already been clearly made. All in all, check when the list of races where the discount will be applicable and then make an informed decision...the discount however and vouchers, free stuff etc should still make it somewhat worthwhile, but dont be expecting to save tens of thousands. In my opinion even if it helps save R2k, its R2k I never had before... :thumbup:

Re Vitality status - no. It doesn't come into play. "Up to 50%" relates to the fact that the discount is 50% of the pre entry rate, so if you enter on the day you don't get 50% back - you only get 50% of the pre entry value, not what you paid due to your slapgattery

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Vitality status - no. It doesn't come into play. "Up to 50%" relates to the fact that the discount is 50% of the pre entry rate, so if you enter on the day you don't get 50% back - you only get 50% of the pre entry value, not what you paid due to your slapgattery

Mmmm ok...well for the R600 it includes a race shirt (quality ???), voucher for Garmin R800 and discount for Bicycling...doesnt seem too bad + obviously the discount on the entry fees.  I will try and not be too much of a cynic ... :thumbup:

At the launch of the new product I got a team discovery running shirt. I'm not 100% sure if they're planning on giving cyclists a cycling shirt but for now I think you're getting a running shirt.

At the launch of the new product I got a team discovery running shirt. I'm not 100% sure if they're planning on giving cyclists a cycling shirt but for now I think you're getting a running shirt.

Got reply as well and was informed CSA Membership included as Gerald said as well as fact that Cyclist will get Cycling jersey.

I want to enter races at start of year though , so do not really want to wait for February for my license.

Got reply as well and was informed CSA Membership included as Gerald said as well as fact that Cyclist will get Cycling jersey.

I want to enter races at start of year though , so do not really want to wait for February for my license.

I emailed the 99er organizers to explain the situation with discovery. They have not responded. The 99er entry auto adds on the csa membership. Hence the email to them...

Maybe just get a Daylicense for first one or two events of the year?

The CSA membership is not that much anyway. Discovery will not pay for Racing licence only the CSA membership.

Maybe just get a Daylicense for first one or two events of the year?

With CSA changing the billing cycle to run for 365 days from date of payment instead of 01-Jan to 31-Dec, it would be better to delay the payment until Feb, so that the renewal every year is done in February. This should be the only year where a day licence may be required for January.

A little inconvenience for R35 (Day licence) vs R195 (CSA + CGC)

Edited by geraldm24

Thanks to @cpt armpies mayhem I am down to 49000 points required to maintain Diamond. Got the entire fam booked in with a Discovery Wellness centre for fitness, health and nutrition checks. Gonna be real tight!

If you are short on points, go to Pick and Pay and buy the +- R3 snack packs that are part of the healthy food.  You get points for each pack. 

My Vitality check appointment got cancelled in December last year as the nurse was sick.  Couldn't get another appointment as they were closed between Xmas and new year.  Made up my points by going to gym and buying healthy food, lol.

Have already entered a few races for Jan next year, such as Berg ed Dale, Carnival City and used my CSA licence from this year when doing the entry  :whistling:

If you are short on points, go to Pick and Pay and buy the +- R3 snack packs that are part of the healthy food. You get points for each pack.

My Vitality check appointment got cancelled in December last year as the nurse was sick. Couldn't get another appointment as they were closed between Xmas and new year. Made up my points by going to gym and buying healthy food, lol.

Thanks for the tip! I might be eating loads of it next year.

Thanks to the motivation of @cpt armpies mayhem, I have notionally made it to Gold (once all points reflect) so will retain diamond status.. Thanks Mayhem!

• 1 month later...

I emailed Discovery yesterday and received the following reply..

"Thank you for your email. We have noted your contact details and will keep you updated with regards to any developments.

Team Vitality is expected to launch at the end of January 2015. Communication regarding the registration process will be emailed closer to the time.

Team Vitality Cycling costs R600, and includes:

* A Team Vitality race shirt

* CSA licence and provincial licence, excluding the elite/age group racing licence.

* A voucher to the value of R800 for a Garmin device

* A voucher for a cycling helmet. We have not confirmed the monetary value of this voucher as of yet.

* Up to 60% discount on a Bicycling magazine subscription through discovery/mall"

Some of those races are during Jan. If the team only starts in Feb, how are they planning on refunding the 50%?