Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

sounds like discovery is one social marketing idea away from administering electric shocks to the little lab rats who fail to meet their quotas for the month  :w00t:

its almost like someone took on a social sciences masters student's enthusiasm and turned it into a business model...

Nah, I actually know little about it - probably fine, I'm just a skeptic (or cynic, depending on what mood I'm in). 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like discovery is one social marketing idea away from administering electric shocks to the little lab rats who fail to meet their quotas for the month  :w00t:

its almost like someone took on a social sciences masters student's enthusiasm and turned it into a business model...

Nah, I actually know little about it - probably fine, I'm just a skeptic (or cynic, depending on what mood I'm in). 

LOL. You're actually not far from the truth. It's a behavioural model brought over from their UK Vitality arm, where they've been doing this short term incentive scheme with Starbucks for the past 2 years. People are far more likely to change their behaviour if they are incentivised with short term rewards (in this case, in the form of coffee or a smoothie) 

This in turn changes claim stats, because the population (or, rather, the client base) changes their health more than they would have done if the rewards were 5-yearly or annually (as is the case with the Discovery life Payback benefits - directly linked to Vitality Status) 

People are strange beings. You see a massive uptick in activity as soon as the goal is seen as "achievable"

Steps, for instance - you get a LOT of people at 0-7,000 steps per day. If the goal is, say, 10,000 - you get far less people in the 7,000 - 10,000 range, as they do just that little bit more to get over the goal for the day, especially if it results in a reward... 

True... that free smoothie does sometimes smell like cheese...

LOL. You're actually not far from the truth. It's a behavioural model brought over from their UK Vitality arm, where they've been doing this short term incentive scheme with Starbucks for the past 2 years. People are far more likely to change their behaviour if they are incentivised with short term rewards (in this case, in the form of coffee or a smoothie) 

This in turn changes claim stats, because the population (or, rather, the client base) changes their health more than they would have done if the rewards were 5-yearly or annually (as is the case with the Discovery life Payback benefits - directly linked to Vitality Status) 

People are strange beings. You see a massive uptick in activity as soon as the goal is seen as "achievable"

Steps, for instance - you get a LOT of people at 0-7,000 steps per day. If the goal is, say, 10,000 - you get far less people in the 7,000 - 10,000 range, as they do just that little bit more to get over the goal for the day, especially if it results in a reward... 

The worst that could happen is people get more active.

But first you need to "active" it - as in choose between Kauai or Vida. Once I've done that I immediately screen capture the code so I can access it without the app.

I suppose yes. I normally choose which place I want to use it immediately so when I go Kauai its already in my passbook.

Discovery is definitely raising the bar.

Myles, would you then suggest I wait till January to book my flight for CTCT?

I've just now quickly scan through all the posts on both threads and will read through the files you attached tonight.

Thanks for your time to answer all the questions.

Discovery is definitely raising the bar.

Myles, would you then suggest I wait till January to book my flight for CTCT?

I've just now quickly scan through all the posts on both threads and will read through the files you attached tonight.

Thanks for your time to answer all the questions.

I would wait, yes. 

Does anyone know how much it will be for a renewing member for Team Vitality Cycling option for next year or will it be the same as a new member and they give you another shirt etc?  Will this years one be valid till March next year as it only got going at the end of Feb this year if memory serves me right?  I wonder how they choose which events to give you cash back or and which are 50% or 25%.  It seems like some big races sponosred by other insurance companies either get no cash back or just 25% like the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour by Liberty. 

"You will receive the starter pack when you first join, not

when you renew your membership of Team Vitality, but as a renewal member you areentitles to all discount vouchers."

The vouchers are useless ad the devices from the stores are majorly over priced.. Same with the beats headphones and priject rudy glasses.

ooops...score card shows my vitality age at 59...yiiiiikes...i am actually only 49.

started on blue status...but clocking the points quickly with all the assessments.

thanks for the input...gona make it a little easier for me to find my way through the maze to achieve gold status as soon as possible.

In that case I will be calling them again

Update. This from Discovery themselves:

I hope that you are well.

The functionality is available. Clients events still count towards their goals for Active Rewards even if they have reached their Fitness maximum points.

Kindly send me the clients membership number or policy number so that I can investigate it further for you.

Take care and have a great day further.

Update on the points for Rewards when you've hit your max fitness allocation for the year, direct from Discovery:

I hope that you are well.

The functionality is available. Clients events still count towards their goals for Active Rewards even if they have reached their Fitness maximum points.

Kindly send me the clients membership number or policy number so that I can investigate it further for you.

Take care and have a great day further.

Slightly off topic here.

Anybody that can recommend a good biokineticist in the Durbanville area that I can go to?

Have a few niggles I want to have looked at, and then there is the free points up for grabs too.

banting diet with vitality??? did i miss something...

they certainly dont promote full cream milk...i dont drink low or fat free...so i got a knuckle beating for that ;)

I say it's worth it if you gym regularly, I have a national Virgin Active gym membership and have to go 15 times a month to get a full refund.  Discounts don't really apply.

Could anyone who uses Discovery Insure for their car insurance comment on the cash back they actually receive?

My understanding is that the level of cash back you receive is relative to how well you drive (as recorded by the tracking device installed). I tried out their iPhone app that records how you drive to get an idea of how I would do. I consider myself to be a decent driver and I am guilty of going over the speed limit from time to time, but it would appear that you have to drive like a granny to stay within their acceptable driving habits they prescribe.

Therefore I don't think many people could be getting much cash back at all. Is my assessment correct?