Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife got 1500 points for our "tandem" ride on Sunday.

Mine was based on my Garmin device with strap, so no problem.

The wife used Strava phone app, as well as the workout app on the Apple Watch. The ride was just over 90 mins including stopped time (coffee stop).

Now, the Strava app doesn't pick up HR, but does the Apple Watch pick anything up as I doubt they'll award here 1500 points for using a non-HR based device.

Here's the proof:

f5630b0c497d04bdd3047e117794fd41.jpg

I frankly am not impressed with Vitality. I was getting 3000 points per ride which was great. No problems getting points etc. Then came the weekend and nothing was allocated. After contacting them via Twitter I was told that it would be resolved, which it subsequently hasn't. Went for a 2.20hr ride this morning and only got 600 points. I've been told that unless you use heart rate monitor ( I don't) you will only get 600 points. I have Strava and Garmin Connect as a feed but it seems unless I have a chest strap the goal post's have been moved from last week.

As for Myles, this man deserves a medal for all the constant, useful advice he's given.

I did a 90 min ride on Saturday and I only received 600 points. My avg was way above the 8km/h avg you need to call it vigorous according to Discovery. What I do notice is that the activity reads: 90 + min vigorous device workout (Speed data only).

It seems I need to strap the HRM on form now on in.

Thanks Howard for clearing it up.

Edited by edgarblount

I know that this has been covered, so sorry Myles:  I am on National VA membership. How much of my gym fees can i expect to retrieve when meeting my goals? zero, or that portion which would have applied if i had been on club?

The wife got 1500 points for our "tandem" ride on Sunday.

Mine was based on my Garmin device with strap, so no problem.

The wife used Strava phone app, as well as the workout app on the Apple Watch. The ride was just over 90 mins including stopped time (coffee stop).

Now, the Strava app doesn't pick up HR, but does the Apple Watch pick anything up as I doubt they'll award here 1500 points for using a non-HR based device.

Here's the proof:

f5630b0c497d04bdd3047e117794fd41.jpg

Apple watch will pick up HR data when it is used to log workouts. 

I know that this has been covered, so sorry Myles:  I am on National VA membership. How much of my gym fees can i expect to retrieve when meeting my goals? zero, or that portion which would have applied if i had been on club?

Nothing. It's something that I've taken up with my consultant. 

I did a 90 min ride on Saturday and I only received 600 points. My avg was way above the 8km/h avg you need to call it vigorous according to Discovery. What I do notice is that the activity reads: 90 + min vigorous device workout (Speed data only).

It seems I need to strap the HRM on form now on in.

Thanks Howard for clearing it up.

Yeah, you do. Just confirmed it on the Vitality Active Rewards section of the app. 

FFS, I need a new Discovery consultant. Existing one is useless. 

Ok so the backdoor link to the workout tracker i posted in a previous post  has been removed ...Also now it seems you only get 600 points for a 90 - 119 min  workout unless you have a heartrate moniter record 

90 - 119 min vigorous device workout (heart rate)

Another catogary has been added 

90 + min vigorous device workout (Speed data only)

so youll get 600 points for 90min+(no HRmoniter)1500 for 90-119 with HR

3000 points activty over 360min without HR

MY Strava is only giving me 600 points for a 140 min ride

Earning Vitality points with Garmin fitness devices

Different fitness devices and apps collect different data about your exercise session. You can earn up to 3 000 Vitality points for one exercise session a day if you achieve the requirements set out below during your workout or steps taken.

To earn up to 50 Vitality points you have to:

• Track 5 000 to 9 999 steps a day.

To earn up to 100 Vitality points you have to:

• Track at least 30 - 44 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% but less than 70% of your age-related heart rate; or
  • Track at least 30 - 44 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 1.5 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 10 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track 10 000 to 12499 steps a day.

To earn up to 300 Vitality points you have to:

• Track at least 45 - 89 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 1.5 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 10 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track at least 20 - 59 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 8 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track 12 500 or more steps a day.

To earn up to 600 points you have to:

• Track at least 90 - 119 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track at least 60 - 89 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 8 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track more than 120 minutes of moderate physical activity at an average speed of over 5.5 kilometres an hour.
  • Track more than 90 minutes of vigorous physical activity at an average speed of over 3.4 kilometres an hour.

To earn up to 1 500 points you have to:

• Track at least 120 - 359 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate.
  • Track at least 90 - 119 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate.

To earn up to 3 000 points you have to:

• Track at least 360+ minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate.
  • Track at least 120+ minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate.

Please note: There is an option to clear your data from your device after you have uploaded it. If you clear it, you will not be able to upload older details to Vitality.

The points you earn by uploading data from your Garmin device, count towards the maximum Vitality points for fitness. Each adult can earn up to 30 000 points and each child can earn up to 20 000 points for fitness each year.

Points will only be awarded for one fitness event a day. If you complete two fitness events in one day, then the higher points between the two will be awarded.

Ah, they added the "or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling)." part as well. Last week it was still 8km/h.

It now seems you'll need a HRM if you want to earn 1500 or 3000 points. They're not taking average speed into consideration?

Edited by edgarblount

I have asked one of the ladies at Vitality, they are still undecided.

I have asked one of the ladies at Vitality, they are still undecided.

For the moment, it's still a firm No. Both from Vitality upper management and call centre

Based on the performance of my consultant, I'll need to check if it's updated every week. It won't just be volunteered. 

Well, their goal is to get you active and improve health, so the requirement of heart rate is sort of needed I guess. 

Those with the iWatch is the heart rate working for you 100%?

Deciding on iWatch or edge 25 for the better half.

Well, their goal is to get you active and improve health, so the requirement of heart rate is sort of needed I guess. 

Those with the iWatch is the heart rate working for you 100%?

Deciding on iWatch or edge 25 for the better half.

FWIW my OH is loving her iwatch. 

Ok so the backdoor link to the workout tracker i posted in a previous post  has been removed ...Also now it seems you only get 600 points for a 90 - 119 min  workout unless you have a heartrate moniter record 

90 - 119 min vigorous device workout (heart rate)

Another catogary has been added 

90 + min vigorous device workout (Speed data only)

so youll get 600 points for 90min+(no HRmoniter)1500 for 90-119 with HR

3000 points activty over 360min without HR

MY Strava is only giving me 600 points for a 140 min ride

Earning Vitality points with Garmin fitness devices

Different fitness devices and apps collect different data about your exercise session. You can earn up to 3 000 Vitality points for one exercise session a day if you achieve the requirements set out below during your workout or steps taken.

To earn up to 50 Vitality points you have to:

• Track 5 000 to 9 999 steps a day.

To earn up to 100 Vitality points you have to:

• Track at least 30 - 44 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% but less than 70% of your age-related heart rate; or
  • Track at least 30 - 44 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 1.5 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 10 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track 10 000 to 12499 steps a day.

To earn up to 300 Vitality points you have to:

• Track at least 45 - 89 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 1.5 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 10 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track at least 20 - 59 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 8 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track 12 500 or more steps a day.

To earn up to 600 points you have to:

• Track at least 90 - 119 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track at least 60 - 89 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 8 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track more than 120 minutes of moderate physical activity at an average speed of over 5.5 kilometres an hour.
  • Track more than 90 minutes of vigorous physical activity at an average speed of over 3.4 kilometres an hour.

To earn up to 1 500 points you have to:

• Track at least 120 - 359 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate.
  • Track at least 90 - 119 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate.

To earn up to 3 000 points you have to:

• Track at least 360+ minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate.
  • Track at least 120+ minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate.

Please note: There is an option to clear your data from your device after you have uploaded it. If you clear it, you will not be able to upload older details to Vitality.

The points you earn by uploading data from your Garmin device, count towards the maximum Vitality points for fitness. Each adult can earn up to 30 000 points and each child can earn up to 20 000 points for fitness each year.

Points will only be awarded for one fitness event a day. If you complete two fitness events in one day, then the higher points between the two will be awarded.

Your average person won't be able to swim that pace.  You'd have to average 1:45 per 100m without resting.

FWIW my OH is loving her iwatch.

Mine too, although it took a while to workout how it should work to maximise the points.

Joined the cycling team this morning, how long does it usually take for the stuff to be delivered, days, weeks?

I was tempted to hit the activate button on this one.

But then again:

I only do about 3 races a year.

I have plenty of shirts and they do not advertise any group rides on the website (for just in case none of my usual buddies can join for a ride).