Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

The Vitality rewards points are taking forever to lead now. You get 600 points for a ride you used to get 3000 points for. Goal posts shifting all over the place. I'm so glad I didn't opt for the Apple watch gimmick.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vitality rewards points are taking forever to lead now. You get 600 points for a ride you used to get 3000 points for. Goal posts shifting all over the place. I'm so glad I didn't opt for the Apple watch gimmick.

We covered this a couple of pages back. The only way to get 1,500 or 3,000 points is now with the use of an HR enabled device. This is understandable, as the old way (distance / speed / time based) was very much open to abuse. I mean, stick Strava on and leave it in your car whilst you drive home, or are on the road... BAM. 3,000 points. 

So, your apple watch "gimmick" would have allowed you to continue getting 3,000 points per ride as it (shock horror) records HR data. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Here you go

Ok so the backdoor link to the workout tracker i posted in a previous post  has been removed ...Also now it seems you only get 600 points for a 90 - 119 min  workout unless you have a heartrate moniter record 

90 - 119 min vigorous device workout (heart rate)

Another catogary has been added 

90 + min vigorous device workout (Speed data only)

so youll get 600 points for 90min+(no HRmoniter)1500 for 90-119 with HR

3000 points activty over 360min without HR

MY Strava is only giving me 600 points for a 140 min ride

Earning Vitality points with Garmin fitness devices

Different fitness devices and apps collect different data about your exercise session. You can earn up to 3 000 Vitality points for one exercise session a day if you achieve the requirements set out below during your workout or steps taken.

To earn up to 50 Vitality points you have to:

• Track 5 000 to 9 999 steps a day.

To earn up to 100 Vitality points you have to:

• Track at least 30 - 44 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% but less than 70% of your age-related heart rate; or
  • Track at least 30 - 44 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 1.5 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 10 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track 10 000 to 12499 steps a day.

To earn up to 300 Vitality points you have to:

• Track at least 45 - 89 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 1.5 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 10 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track at least 20 - 59 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 8 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track 12 500 or more steps a day.

To earn up to 600 points you have to:

• Track at least 90 - 119 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 5.5 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track at least 60 - 89 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate or a minimum average speed of 8 kilometres an hour (walking/running); 3.4 kilometres an hour (swimming) or 20 kilometres an hour (cycling).
  • Track more than 120 minutes of moderate physical activity at an average speed of over 5.5 kilometres an hour.
  • Track more than 90 minutes of vigorous physical activity at an average speed of over 3.4 kilometres an hour.

To earn up to 1 500 points you have to:

• Track at least 120 - 359 minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate.
  • Track at least 90 - 119 minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate.

To earn up to 3 000 points you have to:

• Track at least 360+ minutes of moderate physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 60% of your age-related heart rate.
  • Track at least 120+ minutes of vigorous physical activity in one exercise session a day at a minimum average heart rate of more than 70% of your age-related heart rate.

Please note: There is an option to clear your data from your device after you have uploaded it. If you clear it, you will not be able to upload older details to Vitality.

The points you earn by uploading data from your Garmin device, count towards the maximum Vitality points for fitness. Each adult can earn up to 30 000 points and each child can earn up to 20 000 points for fitness each year.

Points will only be awarded for one fitness event a day. If you complete two fitness events in one day, then the higher points between the two will be awarded.

Tx for the gym boost heads up ppl.

Just activated mine.

Would be interesting to see them implement something to make people actually D do something at the gym rather than just swipe and go. I imagine some enforced hook up to device is coming.

The app /synching was working well 2 weeks ago, this last week stopped synching again, both device logged activity and gym visits

Tx for the gym boost heads up ppl.

Just activated mine.

Would be interesting to see them implement something to make people actually D do something at the gym rather than just swipe and go. I imagine some enforced hook up to device is coming.

The app /synching was working well 2 weeks ago, this last week stopped synching again, both device logged activity and gym visits

Discovery already on this:

http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=148367:Gym-dodgers-get-hacked&catid=116&Itemid=81

We covered this a couple of pages back. The only way to get 1,500 or 3,000 points is now with the use of an HR enabled device. This is understandable, as the old way (distance / speed / time based) was very much open to abuse. I mean, stick Strava on and leave it in your car whilst you drive home, or are on the road... BAM. 3,000 points. 

So, your apple watch "gimmick" would have allowed you to continue getting 3,000 points per ride as it (shock horror) records HR data. 

Bingo.  And we knew from last year already that the program would be geared to HR this year.

right now I'd like some sleep... 

caught a bug. 38.5 deg. Need to go home, but also need to do stuff at the office. mehness

I feel you.

I got a 39 deg. fever over December while on holiday and it really SUCKED !!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Meh I got 600 points for a 5+ hour mtb ride on Sunday, it was my own fault though, forgot the HR strap for my Suunto at home and only realised when it was too late to turn back.

Still its like getting points for just doing what you normally would anyway.