Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

my simple brain would tell me that if i were to encourage people to want to get fit and healthy...

i would insist on a fitness test the day you sign up...done at an accredited facility...so i know what your heart rate should be based on that assessment...similar to what is done before  you start cadence training blocks...get the data required with the relevant info from the online assessments...then set goals to achieve and monitor the goals.

offer a choice of affordable hr monitor packages...with the credit card (they are gona generate tons of revenue and guaranteed pay back which offers a means to attach all your furniture...house...car etc ;))

I can tell you that a small percentage of people are in a position that they could surrender the credit and hand back the watch...the rest are up to their necks (if not drowning)  in debit with the credit card already...as the economy sinks so the debit is rising by the day...people are starting to feel the R23 for a 2 lt milk and R12 for a loaf of brown bread cost of living rise...we wont even go into the rest (petrol price etc)...yet people have money to waste on DSTV :(

something that i believe should also be implemented is an annual grace period...for just in case...you get sick sick or have an accident etc which can be used at any stage during that year.

Edited by isetech

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be more specific about danger point: Actual 80% or theoretical?

60 minutes at actual 80% is dangerous? I think we've all had races where our actual has been way up for the duration. And none of us is dead yet. Funny thing about the heart is it will stop you before it's dangerous.

Sunday. 4h15 at average 156bpm = 84% hrmax (age) and actual 80% of my max. That includes 60-75 minutes of waiting around doing nothing

Sunday. 4h15 at average 156bpm = 84% hrmax (age) and actual 80% of my max. That includes 60-75 minutes of waiting around doing nothing

And are you in danger?

You're living dangerously!! I urge caution. Contact a Google expert on HR asap.

Did 2 days of Sani2C and because my Garmin Egde 500 was on a screen following the route, i couldnt see that my HR belt was obviously not on properly. So i dont make my active rewards for last week. Bitter! 

And are you in danger?

Danger, danger - high voltage... 

Nope. Can't say I am. That it recovers pretty darn quickly from those extensive periods of high HR is good enough for me. If it stayed up there while I was resting - that would be a different problem.

Did 2 days of Sani2C and because my Garmin Egde 500 was on a screen following the route, i couldnt see that my HR belt was obviously not on properly. So i dont make my active rewards for last week. Bitter! 

I hope you complained to Garmin for not showing you how to use the HR strap... :ph34r:

Anyone have joy with Garmin Connect to Disco yet?

Edited by Vivek B

Mine has no issue - uploads almost instantly... 

still waking up here...

Meant Disco.

still waking up here...

Meant Disco.

LOL. In that case, no. My points haven't carried through yet... 

EDIT: Just checked GC, and Vitality had about 8 "read" permissions loaded, so there must have been a bug in the system somewhere. De-linked all of them and re-linked again. Should upload tonight. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Be more specific about danger point: Actual 80% or theoretical?

60 minutes at actual 80% is dangerous? I think we've all had races where our actual has been way up for the duration. And none of us is dead yet. Funny thing about the heart is it will stop you before it's dangerous.

You can't isolate one or two races and apply it all round to everyone.....if people go at that rate 3-4 times a week they will burn out.......that is what the google experts will tell you......The Mitty's of the world....the mid pack ski-instructors......the nobodies....the legends in their own lunch tins.......but the real Pro athletes and their coaches do things a little different.......

Give us the distances and average speeds with ascent for a change........

Danger, danger - high voltage... 

Nope. Can't say I am. That it recovers pretty darn quickly from those extensive periods of high HR is good enough for me. If it stayed up there while I was resting - that would be a different problem.

Mmmmmm....what now.....this does not quite make sense....either you paused the unit.....or your heat rate stayed elevated for that period.....alternatively you were operating at very high percentages to get that hour of standing around to let it balance itself out at 84 %........

Give us the distances and average speeds with ascent for a change........

26.6km, 811m total climbing. Actual riding time, according to Strava - 2h45.

Liaison 1 was 9.8km with 400m climb - that took 1h14 cos there were 135 people on the mostly singletrack climb.

Then a 54 min wait till my turn came on the first stage.

SS1 was 8 min long, 3.1km & 250m drop 

Liaison 2 was a 1h05 effort, 6.4km, 220m climbing Legs were dead. 

SS2 was 3m34 and 146m down.

Liaison 3 was 100m and flat.

SS3 was just after that, and was 3m16 effort for 1.55km & 116m drop 

Liaison 4 was 1.2km & 50m climb - 12 minutes. 

SS4 was 1.13km & 117m drop - 3m27. 

Liaison 5 was 2.43km and had 22m of climbing with the rest downhill. 

Inbetween each liaison and the beginning of a new stage, there was a queue and as such the HR dipped below my average. For example - my Average HR at the top of the first climb was about 175 iirc. It went to 150BPM by the time I was at the front of the queue. I remember, cos I was monitoring how low it was going. 

Average speed during 2h45 that I was actually riding was 9.7kph. Average HR during those 2h45 was 167BPM. Max was 186BPM which was reached on the first climb, near the top. 

Anyone have joy with Garmin Connect to Disco yet?

Mine loaded last night within minutes of me completing the IDT session.