Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Incredibly abrasive as always...

Maybe start your own Discovery thread for complaints? Or a Facebook page?

You're not adding value to what is a useful resource for most. I'm not happy about my watch, and Myles reminded me that the watch is from iStore - I will be visiting them to sort out the HR reading. That is useful, that is what people want...

Some are abrasive and some are evasive......I am the former.....as for your abrasive approach telling me I should go elsewhere with my comments.....lovely to know you now own this place.......good luck with the i-store (snigger)

Stay fit, whatever your focus.

Some of us live for running, cycling, or hitting the gym. For others, it’s about being active throughout the day. Apple Watch combines the capabilities of an all-day activity tracker with those of a superior sport watch. Because it all counts. And it all adds up.

Heart Rate SensorFollow the beat.

Your heart rate is one of the most important indicators of your cardiovascular health. The custom sensor inside Apple Watch measures your heart rate throughout the day when you’re stationary. You can see these background heart rate data points in the Health app on your iPhone, where you can monitor them over time.

​Nowhere do I see Apple referring to their unit as the best or the most accurate...... yet Discovery want their members to accurately reach their zones from a unit that has been proven to be a bit of a failure.....Apple will just say "big improvements coming in version 2, we never really designed our SMART watch as a premier fitness device"

Edited by BarHugger

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myles if you buy a LG fridge from PnP and it goes faulty under warrentee you need to phone or take it up with Pnp as your contract was with them. They need to then sort it with the supplier not the customer with the supplier.

Same goes with the watch. If the contact was with discovery then disco needs to deal with the supplier.

You bought the watch from Apple. You just financed it through your discovery card. Do you complain to FNB when your fridge goes on the blink?

Myles is correct.

I bought the watch at the iStore, and the consultant said that I must keep the receipt in the event of any problems.

The invoice is an iStore invoice and made out to me.

You bought the watch from Apple. You just financed it through your discovery card. Do you complain to FNB when your fridge goes on the blink?

Chill boet.

I didnt buy the watch and nor did i see or read the terms and conditions. Im just saying from what i have seen and thr advertisement the deal was with discovery. Paperwork and all.

Guess sometimes some people forget that is it ok to have different opinions and see things differently.

So...

My Apple device was in my backpack during my 60k commute today. When I looked at my log earlier tonight it showed I climbed 110 floor during the day.

Myles is correct.

I bought the watch at the iStore, and the consultant said that I must keep the receipt in the event of any problems.

The invoice is an iStore invoice and made out to me.

Thanks Gerald I did not know that

Chill boet.

I didnt buy the watch and nor did i see or read the terms and conditions. Im just saying from what i have seen and thr advertisement the deal was with discovery. Paperwork and all.

Guess sometimes some people forget that is it ok to have different opinions and see things differently.

Thanks Gerald I did not know that

Was chilled. And laying it out as it is... I know you didn't buy the watch. I know you have a Polar unit. But that last post of yours was just flat out incorrect. As such, I had to correct it. Seems a lot is being said without knowing what the actual facts of the matter are. That makes me angry, because it means people aren't using their noggins. It's just bandwagoning. 

BTW - "you" was used in its non-personal format.  IE group of people. Not you specifically. You (really, you, now) did the same in your post.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

So...

My Apple device was in my backpack during my 60k commute today. When I looked at my log earlier tonight it showed I climbed 110 floor during the day.

yeah, my garmin used to do the same before a firmware update, and my phone still does the same. Seems like an accelorometer fault or something like that. Although with the Fenix watch it was steps only

Edited by Myles Mayhew

A bit of a gander over at the Vitality site......

NEED TO KNOW
  • You need to have Vitality Active Rewards active.
  • Pay a non-refundable activation fee of R350 with your Discovery Card.
  • You can buy one Apple Watch per Vitality policy in a 24-month period.
  • Applicable to Apple Watch Sport 38mm. You can select a different model by paying the difference upfront at the iStore. The Apple Watch is earned over a 24-month period.
  • You require a Discovery Gold Card or higher with a straight limit of at least R15 000 and an available balance of at least R5 000.
  • iPhone 5 or later is required to use Apple Watch.
  • Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of Vitality Active Rewards.
  • Only the main or secondary member on a policy as well as an adult dependant qualify for the benefit.
  • Terms and conditions of the Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch benefit apply.

Why only one Apple watch.......you are buying it from Apple not ?

You require a Discovery card.....so they will make money off you missing your goals......

Wait a minute.......Apple is not a participant or sponsor of Vitality Active Rewards.......but Apple....it was bought from you......

That little blue bit T's and C's......gotta love them........in the T's and C's I read a lot of "you will be liable to Discovery" it does not say you will be liable to the Apple store.....it is starting to feel a bit more like "you bought the unit from Apple as Discovery and then sold it to me under you Vitality rewards program" ......."with all sincerity I would then like for you to get the unit repaired so it can accurately do what you said it would do"

But that's me........

yeah, my garmin used to do the same before a firmware update, and my phone still does the same. Seems like an accelorometer fault or something like that. Although with the Fenix watch it was steps only

I'll see what is says tomorrow, bit is doesn't bug me, as I use other devices/info

Barhugger. Repeat after me. Think about it. 

You (collective here) buy the item from Apple. They are the ones who sell it. You FINANCE it through your Discovery Credit card, for which you apply online. Tick a couple boxes, agree to pay the R 350 activation fee, and BAM - that's it - financed. Subject to reading those pesky terms and conditions, which you probably didn't read in the first place 'cos OMG APPLE WATCH!!!

As far as Apple are concerned (the store itself) they couldn't give a rats arse where the money comes from - they get it upon sale of the item. Therefore, the purchase was with them. 

The FINANCE arrangement was the 24 month no interest credit arrangement with Discovery. Discovery Credit Card division. 

VITALITY Active Rewards will supplement that finance arrangement you signed up to, subject to the meeting of certain goals, which are tailored to YOU. 

Is it now clear?

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ok, now I am going to be lazy and just fool around a bit........partly because I was on the IDT for 45min at 100% of max theoretical HR (174bpm) ( (and a bit more :whistling:  :D  :wub: ).

Interesting (again):

THE SURPRISING HISTORY OF THE “HRmax=220-age” EQUATION. Robert A. Robergs, Roberto Landwehr. JEPonline. 2002;5(2):1-10. The estimation of maximal heart rate (HRmax) has been a feature of exercise physiology and related applied sciences since the late 1930’s. The estimation of HRmax has been largely based on the formula; HRmax=220-age. This equation is often presented in textbooks without explanation or citation to original research. In addition, the formula and related concepts are included in most certification exams within sports medicine, exercise physiology, and fitness. Despite the acceptance of this formula, research spanning more than two decades reveals the large error inherent in the estimation of HRmax (Sxy=7-11 b/min). Ironically, inquiry into the history of this formula reveals that it was not developed from original research, but resulted from observation based on data from approximately 11 references consisting of published research or unpublished scientific compilations. Consequently, the formula HRmax=220-age has no scientific merit for use in exercise physiology and related fields. A brief review of alternate HRmax prediction formula reveals that the majority of age-based univariate prediction equations also have large prediction errors (>10 b/min). Clearly, more research of HRmax needs to be done using a multivariate model, and equations may need to be developed that are population (fitness, health status, age, exercise mode) specific.

Robergs2.pdf

Interesting that so much focus is also placed of training heart rate, and not on rate of HR recovery or even resting HR dynamics over a period......which is utilized to indicate training status. 

But then also, say you become fitter and your bone and muscle density increases while for fat percentage decrease.................but wait, your BMI increase to severely obese values.......of brother, you are a high risk for the insurance company and you need a premium adjustment.

Oh....the IDT session for this unfit, overweight, abrasive, obnoxious buffel......interval work for 45min.....no warm-up or cool-down.......just balls to the wall while listening to ACDC and Def Lepard.

post-41755-0-73944500-1464027943_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the stone age electronics and display.......I am old school and it is my birthday one of these days.

As you were, carry on......

Chill boet.

Nie hier op die Hub nie dame......hulle sê en betoog soos hulle wil maar vergeet hulle is self besig om the doen wat hulle jou voor beledig......

Nie hier op die Hub nie dame......hulle sê en betoog soos hulle wil maar vergeet hulle is self besig om the doen wat hulle jou voor beledig......

No, BH. An opinion is only valid if it is based on sound principles. Carpet's assertions were based on incorrect data. Therefore invalid. 

Barhugger. Repeat after me. Think about it. 

You (collective here) buy the item from Apple. They are the ones who sell it. You FINANCE it through your Discovery Credit card, for which you apply online. Tick a couple boxes, agree to pay the R 350 activation fee, and BAM - that's it - financed. Subject to reading those pesky terms and conditions, which you probably didn't read in the first place 'cos OMG APPLE WATCH!!!

As far as Apple are concerned (the store itself) they couldn't give a rats arse where the money comes from - they get it upon sale of the item. Therefore, the purchase was with them. 

The FINANCE arrangement was the 24 month no interest credit arrangement with Discovery. Discovery Credit Card division. 

VITALITY Active Rewards will supplement that finance arrangement you signed up to, subject to the meeting of certain goals, which are tailored to YOU. 

Is it now clear?

Nope......and the band of merry men will refer back the my idiocy.....but no.....